PDA

View Full Version : Ways to change an enemies saving throw roll?

jaappleton
2019-04-24, 08:13 PM
I know of Portent. That’s the end of my list.

MaxWilson
2019-04-24, 08:17 PM
I know of Portent. That’s the end of my list.

Bend Luck, Bane, Bestow Curse, Heightened Spell come to mind, and for some saving throw types Feeblemind.

KOLE
2019-04-24, 08:20 PM
Sorcerers Heightened Metamagic forces disadvantage on a saving throw for three sorcerer points.

Wild Sorcs can also spend 2 Sorc points to subtract 1d4 from a saving throw. This can stack with Heighten, but its very expensive.

Wild Sorcerers can also use Tides of Chaos to gain advantage on an ability check, this stacks well with spells like Telekinesis and Bigby's Hand.

{{scrubbed}} but I do love them and they're good for niche stuff like this :tongue:

Darc_Vader
2019-04-24, 08:23 PM
If you mean ‘change’ as ‘replace’ then Portent is the only one I can think of.
If you mean it as ‘alter’, then there are a few things:
-Bane: gives -1d4 on saves
-Contagion: disadvantage on the saves of a particular stat (besides Charisma for whatever reason)
-Eldritch Knight has that thing where they give disadvantage on saves against their spells when they hit a target
-Arcane Tricksters give disadvantage on saves when casting from hiding

MaxWilson
2019-04-24, 08:23 PM
Wild Sorc's can also spend 2 Sorc points to subtract 1d4 from a saving throw. This can stack with Heighten, but its very expensive.

It winds up being cheaper than Heighten when you account for the fact that unlike Heighten, you can use it strategically: only spend sorcerer points when it can tip the balance. Even better, it works on other people's spells too. It's somewhat like +4 to the spellcasting ability scores of everybody in your whole party (i.e. DC +2 for all of their spells). Bend Luck is the single best thing about the Wild Mage subclass.

======================

If you mean ‘change’ as ‘replace’ then Portent is the only one I can think of.

Nitpick: Portent doesn't change it, it precludes it. Once the enemy rolls dice it's too late to use Portent. You have to declare Portent before they roll.

strangebloke
2019-04-24, 08:25 PM
Bend Luck, Bane, Bestow Curse come to mind, and for some saving throw types Feeblemind.

If we're counting all things that effect a saving throw:

Synaptic Static.
Wild Sorc Bend Fate ability.
Heighten
Magical Ambush
Eldritch Strike
stunned/petrified/paralyzed (forced failure on dex and str saves)
restrained (disadvantage on dex saves)
3 levels of exhaustion.
Contagion

and my personal favorite:
Dropping to zero hit points, dying, and becoming an 'object' and not a 'creature.' Objects don't get saving throws.

Darc_Vader
2019-04-24, 08:31 PM
Nitpick: Portent doesn't change it, it precludes it. Once the enemy rolls dice it's too late to use Portent. You have to declare Portent before they roll.

Yeah, I meant ‘replace’ more in the ‘no, this is your roll’ way to differentiate it from the other methods that mostly just serve to make a given save harder. On retrospect, I probably could have used a better word to describe it than replace (Allocate? Bestow? Override? Foist upon?).

Aaron Underhand
2019-04-24, 09:25 PM
There are some items as well. For example instrument of the bards gives enemies disadvantage on hypnotic pattern.

PhantomSoul
2019-04-24, 09:41 PM

Synaptic Static.

(Note that this one's only for Concentration Saving Throws)

Dropping to zero hit points, dying, and becoming an 'object' and not a 'creature.' Objects don't get saving throws.

Best one, 100%

sophontteks
2019-04-24, 09:42 PM
Bend luck is amazing and wild sorcerers are too..if the DM is upfront about giving you wild surges consistently. Bend luck works on any save, not just those caused by you. Its a strong reason to play wild sorcerers with cheap metamagics. Just mulch down level one spells and bend all day long.

I played a halfling wild sorcerer. DM ruled that every spell causes a surge. I picked up the halfling racial feat too. Constant advantage, constant messing up rolls for the team, constant chaos :smallbiggrin:

MaxWilson
2019-04-24, 11:34 PM
Yeah, I meant ‘replace’ more in the ‘no, this is your roll’ way to differentiate it from the other methods that mostly just serve to make a given save harder. On retrospect, I probably could have used a better word to describe it than replace (Allocate? Bestow? Override? Foist upon?).

Cool. Thanks for tolerating my nitpicking--I have seen other people misunderstand how Portent works in the past so wanted the record to be clear.

Synaptic Static.
Wild Sorc Bend Fate ability.
Heighten
Magical Ambush
Eldritch Strike
stunned/petrified/paralyzed (forced failure on dex and str saves)
restrained (disadvantage on dex saves)
3 levels of exhaustion.
Contagion

If you're counting getting dead, then you should similarly list getting Polymorphed into a weak creature.

Tanarii
2019-04-24, 11:47 PM
Bend luck is amazing and wild sorcerers are too..if the DM is upfront about giving you wild surges consistently. Bend luck works on any save, not just those caused by you. Its a strong reason to play wild sorcerers with cheap metamagics. Just mulch down level one spells and bend all day long.

I played a halfling wild sorcerer. DM ruled that every spell causes a surge. I picked up the halfling racial feat too. Constant advantage, constant messing up rolls for the team, constant chaos :smallbiggrin:
It's helped a lot by generally knowing what the target number is, since it's usually an ally's feature or spell setting the DC. Compared to several other "before effects occur" features, it has the benefit of knowing both the die roll and the target number. Unless your DM is one of those that nerfs those abilities by hiding his die rolls.

One downside to converting spell slots to Sorc Points to fuel it is those slots were also powering your Tides of Chaos & Wild Surges. That's a little less important if you don't load up on or upcast (I.e. Ch. orb or ch. bolt) attack roll spells of course.