PDA

View Full Version : Necromancer Love

Klaus Teufel
2019-04-25, 01:25 AM
Can someone point me to a guide to necromancers? I've tried search, but it's not very helpful.

edit: I mean the Wizard school.

Great Dragon
2019-04-25, 02:03 AM
Not sure for 5e, but the 3e Libris Mortus (sp?) had a lot of information on Necromancers that could be used.

nickl_2000
2019-04-25, 06:45 AM
First of all, with the title of this thread does not imply that you are looking for a guide..... Ick...

I don't see much on here, but there are some I found through google that seem like a decent start
https://www.skullsplitterdice.com/blogs/andrars-rumblings/ultimate-necromancers-guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99zw0x2tQ-k

Arkhios
2019-04-25, 06:58 AM
First of all, with the title of this thread does not imply that you are looking for a guide..... Ick...

Hands down, I reacted to the title with a "Ewwwww..."

...and then I clicked it anyway.

What does it say about us? :smallbiggrin:

Personally I don't know much about any guides specifically designed with necromancers in mind. What others said before are probably your best bets.

However, if you're interested in generic inspiration, I would recommend watching the Dungeons & Dragons movie Book of Vile Darkness. The movie's protagonist travels for a good while in a group that has a very good depiction of a Necromancer-ish character.

MThurston
2019-04-25, 07:51 AM
Hexblade and Cleric make a good one. At 6th level the Hexblade can make a spectre of a humanoid that it kills.

Clerics can animate dead.

Naanomi
2019-04-25, 07:54 AM
A lot of variety in playstyle, depending on how much you want to dedicate yourself to minion generation (and how your GM runs certain aspects of animate dead). Easy to play as a normal wizard, or as something pretty unique (albeit time consuming at the table)

MThurston
2019-04-25, 08:33 AM
5th level cleric and 6th level Hexblade

Cantrip
Mending, Resistance, Eldritch Blast, Toll the Dead, infestation. Pact of the Tome (Chilling Touch, Poison Spray, Druid Craft but to kill plants instead of blooming them).

Invocations
Agonizing Blast, Book of Ancient Secrets (Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify), Eyes of the Rune Keeper. Gaze of Two minds would be cool also.

1st level Spells
Bane, Detect Good, Inflict Wounds, Cause Fear, Hex

2nd Level
Ray of Enfeeblement, Shatter, Blind, Silence, Hold Person

3rd Level
Animate Dead, Bestow Curse, Revivify, Vampiric Touch, Summon Minor Demons

At 6th level Hexblade can make a spectre from a humanoid that they kill.

You also have to pick a domain power for the cleric. Grave Domain would flavor this.

You could also take IPW as an invocation to make a ranged weapon your Pact weapon but Eldritch Blast of 5th level is two shots at 1d10 + cha mod. Very Strong. If there was a way to make the damage necro instead of force, that would be cool.

nickl_2000
2019-04-25, 08:38 AM
If there was a way to make the damage necro instead of force, that would be cool.

Considering that overall this is a downgrade in the power of EB (way more things resist necro than force), I don't see why most wouldn't allow it.

VonKaiserstein
2019-04-25, 09:54 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?549295-Optimized-necromancer-build

I think this will have just about everything you want. They even go through the weird necromancer builds, like Divine Soul/Oathbreaker.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-25, 10:14 AM
5th level cleric and 6th level Hexblade

Just FYI guis:

Can someone point me to a guide to necromancers? I've tried search, but it's not very helpful.

edit: I mean the Wizard school.