PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Ambrosia´s Forceful Flaming Spear of Darkness (PEACH)

sleepyhead
2019-04-25, 09:29 AM
So one of my fellow players(Ambrosia) were interested in creating there own magic item for our game. So we talked a little bit and came up with this. What do you guys think it should cost to make it? What rarity should it be?

Spear 1d6 piercing 3 lb. Thrown (range 20/60), versatile (1d8)
Additional 1d4 fire damage 1d4 force damage Once per day command word for 15ft magical darkness

Shadefire Spear
Weapon (spear), rare (requires attunement)
When you attack with this weapon it deals an extra 1d4 fire damage as well as an extra 1d4 force damage

As an action, you may call forth the darkness within this weapon to cast the spell darkness, centered on this weapon. The darkness created by this spell does not obscure your vision. Once you use the spear in this way, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest.

Our DM was specific in that he didn't want the weapon being able to return and the player wanted a spear for some reason

He wanted a spear that would work as a sort of fiery magic missile while being able to use his signature spell Darkness

We are level 8 if that matters

Archeoaevis
2019-04-25, 08:15 PM
Here's my idea of polishing the item and putting it into normal 5E wording.

Shadefire Javelin
Weapon (javelin), rare (requires attunement)
You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this weapon, which deals fire damage instead of piercing damage.

While you are attuned to this weapon, you may use a bonus action to recall it to your hand as long as it is within 120 feet of you.

As an action, you may call forth the darkness within this weapon to cast the spell darkness, centered on this weapon. The darkness created by this spell does not obscure your vision. Once you use the spear in this way, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest.
As far as cost goes, I'd say to make it something of a quest to obtain. Maybe he needs to collect materials from some specific and obscure source, or find a master craftsman both willing and able to make it, or take it from its current holder. Raw cash is an almost useless measurement in D&D 5E, so I doubt that it would be a good measurement for something like this.