PDA

View Full Version : Kobold Artificer Trickster rogue archeologist back ground backstory idea

Bnewby724@gmail
2019-04-25, 10:06 AM
Tezzeret Oresky Dragonov the third aka Cricket

The Boss was a powerful divination wizard with a knack for locating precious artifacts. While he knew the location of the objects he had no desire to risk his own life so he built a crew. There was a Tabaxi that was a theft by trade. A Half-Orc was there in case things got messy, but needed an individual that had knowledge of complex traps. So he started scrying for one and found a Kolbold.

Life for a Kobold ain't easy. We all have a job in the tribe, and I was the lead trap builder. The warren was a mass of interweaving tunnels , grows daily. Which means more traps to build to keep us safe. I was really good at it (two time winner of the Kobold Cup). I had just crawled on to my hoard when I heard the alarm go off just before the whole warren collapsed. I crawled out of the fire escape and did what any self respecting Kobold would do. I hid while I waited for the others to emerge. The only thing that came was the sound of crickets. The next morning the Boss found me and offed me a job. Said he saw me at the Trap Daddy Nationals and liked my work. I left The Scimitar Spires that day.

I made a new den in The Boss' library and started studying ancient artifacts and civilizations. I liked to use things I learned from the past and apply it to new traps and inventions. Every thing was sweet for a long time. The Boss would locate artifacts, the crew retrieved them, then sold them on the black market. In return we lived like fat cats. Which for me meant better books, schematics, formulas, and materials to tinker with.

I found a tomb in the library that recounted the atrocities committed by Garl Glittergold. It spoke of the bronze dragons of the Serpent Hills, and The Eye of Tiamat. This tomb however was written by Alaundo the Seer and summarized that everything I knew about Kobolds was a lie told by Tiamat. It stated that Kurtulmak was actually from an egg stolen from an ancient bronze dragon. The eggs that Kurtulmak hatched Kobold kind from were also stolen eggs of metallic dragons. Tiamat imprisoned Kurtulmak after he learned the Hard Truth, and hid all memory of Kurtulamk's hatching in The Eye of Tiamat.

We were together for a long time. The Tabaxi and The Boss even taught me some tricks. I got stealthier and learned to use magic. I learned to use this skill to dissect less valuable magic objects we found, to make my own.

Until we got waylaid on an exchange with the Zhentarim one night. The Tabaxi went to make the hand off when he growled just before an arcane expulsion. So I did what any self respecting Kolbold would do and hid under a desk. I heard a struggle then release it was The Boss' voice. I looked up and saw the tip of a dagger, before I felt blood drip down on me like warm rain. I waited under the desk until I all heard was the sound of crickets. When I emerged all I found was The Boss' body.

The Boss' always thought The Eye of Tiamat was somewhere in the jungles of Chult. Retrieving The Eye would mean a chance of redemption for me and all Kolbolds. I reached Chult with some coin, my tools and some tinkerings. I needed a new crew so I stood on the corner with a sign that read. GOT TRAPS?*Two winner of the Kobold Cup.*In common and draconic.

Appearance

3'5" Dark blackish brown scales flecked with turquoise, bulbous yellow eyes, two horns that sweep back way from the back of his head, a scar across the left side of his mouth. Wears scale mail, goggles that usually rest on his head, a bandoleer, and belt with many pouches and pockets. His lucky pliers on his bandoleer. Uses a boomerang and a crossbow. His crossbow has a pipe a fixed to bottom that his pliers fit into the back of and acts as a trigger.

Personality Traits

Likes to squeeze into small spaces to feel safe
Sleeps on top of everything he owns in a pile
Wants the best for his tribe/crew
Will run from a fight he doesn't think he'll win
Would rather kill someone in their sleep than fight fair
Loves gadgets and artifacts especially if related to dragons
Proud of his draconic heritage and believes Kolbolds get their intelligence from it

Info

Doesn't know if the crew is alive
Doesn't know if anyone survived the warren collapse
Doesn't know who set up the crew or if they know he is alive
Doesn't know The Boss' caused the warren collapse to lure him out
Hate's he's self for not helping during the ambush

Hoping for comments and advice