PDA

View Full Version : The whip, and its applications

Marywn
2019-04-25, 01:47 PM
I've been trying to gather ideas on how I can actually use the whip in other ways besides... well hitting things. I know Indiana Jones stuff is actually phyiscally possible, but what else is there?

denthor
2019-04-25, 01:53 PM
Second line fighter. Had improved Trip feat.

I used it a 6th level fighter to intimate a drow male I was female human. Brought two candles to my off hand.

Hit AC 10 to hinder an opponent give a +2 to armor or a +2 to hit of an ally. This was a rule in 3.5

Tripped a gaurd to keep him down so that he remained alive during a robbery. Sent him down the stairs.

Garfunion
2019-04-25, 02:15 PM
The fighter(battle master) or monk(kensi) is probably your best option to get the most out of a whip. I would say rogue too but, they do not get proficiency in whip weapon.

Phoenix042
2019-04-25, 02:28 PM
I've been trying to gather ideas on how I can actually use the whip in other ways besides... well hitting things. I know Indiana Jones stuff is actually phyiscally possible, but what else is there?

So you're asking what people do with a whip besides fight stuff with it...

I'm just going to point out that bards are proficient with the whip, and well...

That means that any bard worth his salt knows how to use a whip...

And we all know that

Bards
Do
Sexy
Magic

Garfunion
2019-04-25, 03:06 PM

I'm just going to point out that bards are proficient with the whip, and well...

And we all know that

Bards
Do
Sexy
Magic
Bards are not proficient in whips. Maybe an archetype but not the class.

Only those proficient in martial weapon are proficient in whips. Of course there are archetypes and feats that can provide proficiency.

JackPhoenix
2019-04-25, 03:19 PM

And we all know that

Bards
Do
Sexy
Magic

Bards are not proficient with whip. Except sword and valor, which give all weapons.

Damon_Tor
2019-04-25, 03:28 PM

Tanky types can use it to control an area without giving up their shield. Works great with the Sentinel feat. You can fluff Sentinel's "reduces movement to 0" effect as your whip wrapping around the target, not enough to be considered a "grab" mechanically, but enough to stop them for 6 seconds or so. Combine with Battlemaster to include more tangible effects like disarming and tripping.

Aquillion
2019-04-25, 03:31 PM
Bards are not proficient with whip. Except sword and valor, which give all weapons.Swords does not give all weapons, only scimitars. This is a major problem for Ranged Swords builds (which are otherwise very effective, since Blade Flourish does work with ranged attacks and since you can get Swift Quiver at level 10.)

They also don't get shield proficiency (they're one of the few ways to get Medium Armor and no shields), which is probably because otherwise they could easily get really high AC using Defensive Flourish.

stoutstien
2019-04-25, 03:36 PM
Swords does not give all weapons, only scimitars. This is a major problem for Ranged Swords builds (which are otherwise very effective, since Blade Flourish does work with ranged attacks and since you can get Swift Quiver at level 10.)

They also don't get shield proficiency (they're one of the few ways to get Medium Armor and no shields), which is probably because otherwise they could easily get really high AC using Defensive Flourish.

Nothing that a one level fighter or warlock dip can't fix

Mercurias
2019-04-25, 03:47 PM
I was actually playing with a Variant Human Inquisitive Rogue today that used the whip.

Weapon Master feat gave him the whip at level 1, and at 4 I used Spell Sniper to give him Booming Blade. At 8 I snagged Warcaster. Inquisitive Rogue's Insightful Fighting gave him reliable sneak attack cantrips with it as a means of controlling the area, since if an enemy tried to walk out of range they would eat the Booming Blade added 2d8 damage- plus Warcaster could let it immediately reapply Booming Blade AGAIN with added Sneak Attack dice from Insightful Fighting. Makes for pretty potent enemy lockdown.

As for what else to do, a Kensei Monk/Battlemaster would probably be a lot of fun. Whip weapons out of enemy hands, then step in for a sucker punch, flurry of blows, and step away while they make an ineffectual melee swing at you.

As a DM, I'd also probably let you ranged grapple, or swing DC...We'll make up numbers and say 14 Dex to snag things and swing off of them or hurl them as projectiles with a homebrew feat.

Imbalance
2019-04-25, 05:04 PM
Cattle rustling.