PDA

View Full Version : I've decided on my ridiculous stat character. Just need some tweaking.

CTurbo
2019-04-25, 07:30 PM
After a whole lot of ideas, debating, and threads on here about it lol, I've decided on my next character.

Rolled stats were 20, 19, 19, 17, 8, 6 and I get 1 free feat(2 with vhuman)

This is an abnormal character in that the DM is giving me a couple of special features in return for a minor amount of creative control over my character for story purposes. I have agreed to this and am excited to play this out.

I will start level 1 as a GOOD vhuman Monk with 20 Dex, Con, and Wis, and 18 Cha. Haven't decided if I'm gonna put the 6 in Str or Int. I will take Observant to start for sure and am undecided about the second feat.

At some point in the first 2 levels, my character will be killed for story purposes and resurrected by a fiend who is going to provide me with an Imp familiar. From that point on, I will be blind, but will be able to see through the eyes of my Imp. At this point, the features(not the +1 Wis) of Observant will be replaced by 10ft Blindsight. Regaining vision will be a major source of motivation for my character. Also, I must immediately at next level up take at least one level in Warlock(fiend) and honestly I'll probably take 3 straight levels of Warlock for Chain Pact at which time I have the option of getting a different non evil familiar, but I must use the Imp until then. I could take more Monk levels earlier, but would be stuck with the Imp for longer. That may or may not be a bad thing. I know I have no interest in taking more than 3 Warlock levels, and am free to take whatever class I want afterwards. I will take at least 5 levels in Monk for sure and wouldn't mind just going Warlock 3/Monk 17. As long as I have an intelligent familiar, I will be able to see through it's eyes. As long as I have this familiar, I CAN cast spells that rely on sight.

Warlock cantrips- Eldritch Blast, Minor Illusion
1st level spells- Armor of Agathys, Hex, Command, Burning Hands
2nd level spells- Darkness, Hold Person
Invocations- Agonizing Blast, Voice of the Chain Master

Remaining things to figure out-
1. Which Monk tradition would work best with this? I like Long Death the best but is somewhat redundant with Fiendlock. Open Hand or Shadow would be good.
2. What background?
3. What other free feat? Honestly, I like the idea of taking PAM here solely for the reaction attack. I love the idea of a blind guy with a walking stick(staff) being able to strike an approaching enemy. Also, my second attack is going to be put off until level 8 so this would help a lot. I realize the first 2 features of PAM are redundant for a Monk. If I don't start with Mobile, I'll take it at Monk 4 for sure. I also like Alert and Lucky. What else should I consider?

Probably too early to talk about now, but should I jump to a 3rd class after Warlock 3/Monk 5? Maybe Rogue?

mephiztopheleze
2019-04-25, 07:43 PM
How the name of iDoch* did you roll base stats of 20 with v-human racial modifiers? I'm guessing DM Generosity Level Over 9000?

*iDoch = insert Deity of choice here

Galithar
2019-04-25, 07:54 PM
How the name of iDoch* did you roll base stats of 20 with v-human racial modifiers? I'm guessing DM Generosity Level Over 9000?

*iDoch = insert Deity of choice here

They rolled 6d20 and got to choose anyone's array. They all could have stats like that.

mephiztopheleze
2019-04-25, 07:59 PM
They rolled 6d20...............

[crotchety old voice] back in my day, it was 3d6 straight down the line, in order! Paladins were RARE back then.... grumble, grizzle, snort, snore zzZZzzzz[/crotchety old voice]

bid
2019-04-25, 10:06 PM
2. What background?
I think Wanderer is the best background feature for you. Shelter of the Faithful might jeer with your imp later on.

Drunken is also amusing for a blind monk.It somewhat negates the need for mobile and is less "hands-on" than open hand. But shadow arts' PWT is hard to beat and still fits well with blindness.

Quoz
2019-04-25, 11:09 PM
Shame you'll be dumping Str. Even with the incredible stat line, a monk/paladin is too MAD. Ancients paladin 7 with your Cha and the saving throw advantage from the familiar would just be close to unkillable.

So, no multiclass with Str or Int means no Barb, Pal, or Wizard. You will already get extra attack from monk. And you're certainly not hurting for ASIs. I would say that a 2-3 level dip in fighter for action surge and battlemaster maneuvers would be a lot of fun. Hold person so they fail all dex/str saves, then action surge and hit them with disarm, trip, and throw them a ridiculous amount between open hand's shove on a flurry and whichever fighter maneuver that also has a 15' push. Superiority dice + Ki points can give a very mean nova round when you want it.

CTurbo
2019-04-25, 11:17 PM
I think Wanderer is the best background feature for you. Shelter of the Faithful might jeer with your imp later on.

Drunken is also amusing for a blind monk.It somewhat negates the need for mobile and is less "hands-on" than open hand. But shadow arts' PWT is hard to beat and still fits well with blindness.

I like Wanderer, but haven't looked through all of them.

I'm thinking about swapping Con and Cha

nickl_2000
2019-04-26, 07:06 AM
Remaining things to figure out-
1. Which Monk tradition would work best with this? I like Long Death the best but is somewhat redundant with Fiendlock. Open Hand or Shadow would be good.
2. What background?
3. What other free feat? Honestly, I like the idea of taking PAM here solely for the reaction attack. I love the idea of a blind guy with a walking stick(staff) being able to strike an approaching enemy. Also, my second attack is going to be put off until level 8 so this would help a lot. I realize the first 2 features of PAM are redundant for a Monk. If I don't start with Mobile, I'll take it at Monk 4 for sure. I also like Alert and Lucky. What else should I consider?

Probably too early to talk about now, but should I jump to a 3rd class after Warlock 3/Monk 5? Maybe Rogue?

1) I think Shadow would work really well with the character. It would free up a Warlock cantrip and allow you to cast darkness more often. Also, would make for a pretty edgy character (and you can be good and still live in shadow, Batman!).

3) I know you like PAM, but there are some other ones to look into.
-Inspiring Leader - You have the the charisma for it and it will give more than fiendlock will with being level 3.
-Mobile is flat out amazing as you said.
-Healer is actually a really, really good feat. Especially at level 1
-Tough would keep you standing longer

Personally, I would take Mobile over PAM at level 1. You will use mobile all the time in combat as a monk and I see it coming into effect more often.

CTurbo
2019-04-26, 10:33 AM
1) I think Shadow would work really well with the character. It would free up a Warlock cantrip and allow you to cast darkness more often. Also, would make for a pretty edgy character (and you can be good and still live in shadow, Batman!).

3) I know you like PAM, but there are some other ones to look into.
-Inspiring Leader - You have the the charisma for it and it will give more than fiendlock will with being level 3.
-Mobile is flat out amazing as you said.
-Healer is actually a really, really good feat. Especially at level 1
-Tough would keep you standing longer

Personally, I would take Mobile over PAM at level 1. You will use mobile all the time in combat as a monk and I see it coming into effect more often.

Yeah I really really like Mobile for Monks. I know it would get used constantly, and I very well may take it at level 1. I still feel like the PAM reaction attack would get a lot of use too though, and kinda the character itself, it's more flavor over mechanics. I dunno....

I really like Inspiring Leader, but I don't see this guy being that way. Plus, there are 3 Sorcerers in the party. Surely one of them will take that lol

I agree Healer is a solid pick. I wonder if my Imp could use it.

Tough is too boring for a 1st level free feat. I could see taking it late.

I like Sentinel. I could be a different way to utilize a reaction attack.

I've also considered Magic Initiate Bard for Vicious Mockery or Cleric for Guidance and Bless.

Oh and Spear Mastery.

CTurbo
2019-04-27, 04:26 AM
DM says I could potentially use a Longspear which makes PAM even better. I know I can't use martial arts from 10ft away, but I wouldn't need to unless l want to Flurry of Blows.

Gonna try to talk him into letting me use a Faerie Dragon as my Familiar when l finally get to choose at Warlock 3.

nickl_2000
2019-04-27, 05:52 AM
DM says I could potentially use a Longspear which makes PAM even better. I know I can't use martial arts from 10ft away, but I wouldn't need to unless l want to Flurry of Blows.

Gonna try to talk him into letting me use a Faerie Dragon as my Familiar when l finally get to choose at Warlock 3.

Well, you have a very, very permissive DM for this campaign. In that case, PAM makes a very large difference. Go for it :)

RSP
2019-04-27, 06:10 AM
I’ll second Inspiring Leader as a starting feat choice, if your character requires their familiar to see. Any AoE probably takes out your vision. IL can mitigate that, a bit.

CTurbo
2019-04-27, 09:06 AM
Well, you have a very, very permissive DM for this campaign. In that case, PAM makes a very large difference. Go for it :)

Yes he is, but he's known for having extremely difficult campaigns. He does strictly homebrew stuff.

I’ll second Inspiring Leader as a starting feat choice, if your character requires their familiar to see. Any AoE probably takes out your vision. IL can mitigate that, a bit.

Hey that's a very very good point that I had not considered. This is exactly why I ask for opinions on here. Thanks. I am going to ask if anyone else took it, and if nobody else has, I will probably go with it.

RSP
2019-04-27, 12:28 PM
Hey that's a very very good point that I had not considered. This is exactly why I ask for opinions on here. Thanks. I am going to ask if anyone else took it, and if nobody else has, I will probably go with it.

No worries and hopefully it helps.

I’ll just add in that, in addition to the overlap in giving a BA Attack, I think the technical ruling on PAM is that the BA Attack (and possibly the Reaction Attack), isn’t compatible with Monk’s damage die increases, so that will stay at 1d4, while using Martial Arts will be better after a few levels.

If your concept revolves around the reaction attack, by all means roll with it; but Monk is the worst class to utilize PAM, as the most consistent ability it provides (and the only one that is under your control) is wasted.

CTurbo
2019-04-27, 02:46 PM
No worries and hopefully it helps.

I’ll just add in that, in addition to the overlap in giving a BA Attack, I think the technical ruling on PAM is that the BA Attack (and possibly the Reaction Attack), isn’t compatible with Monk’s damage die increases, so that will stay at 1d4, while using Martial Arts will be better after a few levels.

If your concept revolves around the reaction attack, by all means roll with it; but Monk is the worst class to utilize PAM, as the most consistent ability it provides (and the only one that is under your control) is wasted.

Thanks. I'm fine with the "flavor over mechanics" angle here. My 3 levels of Warlock on a Monk should be evident of that lol

CTurbo
2019-04-29, 08:54 AM
I wanted to update on this as we actually played the first session last night and it went well. I did end up starting with Observant and PAM, I found a Longspear(basically just trades the thrown property for the reach property) at level 2 and the reaction attack was used to great effect. It's going to work well with my character arc I think.

I am officially a blind Monk 2/Fiendlock 1 with a DM appointed and controlled Imp who serves as my eyes. He is not REALLY my familiar at this time so I can't control him although we are linked. At Warlock 3, I can officially start controlling him or I can summon a different familiar.(I am LG)

The plan is to take the next 2 levels in Warlock and then be done with Warlock. Jump back to Monk until Monk 6(Shadow) and that would leave me at character level 9. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna jump to a 3rd class after that, but it's waaaaaaaay to early to know what. I think I'll see how the story goes between now and then because whatever I do needs to make sense story/rp wise moreso than mechanically.

Rogue is the most obvious choice, but I like 3 levels of Hunter Ranger for Monks. Gloom Stalker would also be really strong but I wouldn't benefit from extended darkvision being blind although the DM could grant that ability to my familiar like he did with the Observant feat. Otherwise, the group doesn't have a Cleric so that could be an option. Also, since we already have 3 sorcerers, I thought about taking some late Sorcerer levels for just because reasons hahaha of course only if it makes sense though.

Anyway, I just wanted to share. We help so many people with their builds. I wish more people would come back and share how their builds ended up after the fact.