PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Chinese Zodiac Monk subclasses (PEACH)

sleepyhead
2019-04-26, 10:16 AM
So I decided to make 12 subclasses for the monk each one going around the idea of the Chinese Zodiacs. I was planning to share all these at the same time but itīs taking longer then I thought it would so heres what I got done so far.

It has characteristics of an animal with spirit, wit, alertness, delicacy, flexibility and vitality
3- Rats Cowardness
You gain the ability to disengage and dash as a bonus action. As well you never can be surprised in combat. You also gain proficiency in stealth and can spend a Ki point to double your proficiency modifier on a stealth check. Lastly, you gain half your movement speed in climbing speed as a bonus action.

6- Rats Endurance
You need two less hours of sleep and can no longer suffer from exhaustion. During a long rest you are no longer restricted to light activity to regain health.
You also only need to eat half of the required food and water to gain nourishment for the day.

11- Rats Cunning
You gain proficiency with Perception or Investigation and can spend a Ki point to double proficincy bonus to checks made with said skill. If you already have proficiency with Perception or Investigation you may gain proficiency with a separate skill. In addition no attack can gain advantage on you.

17- Rats Skill
If your attack misses a target within range, you can reroll the attack. Alternatively, if you fail an ability check, you can treat the d20 roll as a 15.

Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short rest.

Oxen used to be capable farming tools in agricultural society, which attach to the symbol of diligence, persistence and honesty. People born in the Year of Ox are probably tardy in action, but industrious and cautious. Most of them are conservative and hold their faith firmly.

3-Oxens Strength
Beginning at 3rd level, while you are wearing no armor and not wielding a shield, your AC equals 10 + your Strength modifier + your Wisdom modifier. You also gain proficiency in light and medium armor. You may use your Strength modifier in place of your Dexterity modifier, restrictions on max Dexterity still apply for Strength modifier.

You still gain your additional speed from your Unarmored Movement while wearing light armor and half (rounded down) while wearing medium armor.
Lastly, your martial arts ability is no longer restricted by wearing armor.

6-Oxens Endurance
Starting at 6th level, you can spend 1 Ki point to add half your proficiency bonus (rounded up) to any Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution check you make that doesn't already use your proficiency bonus.
In addition you can spend 2 Ki points you gain resistance to Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing damage for 1 minute. Starting at level 11 you also gain resistance to all magical damage.

11-Oxens Aggression
Starting at 11th level, your weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19-20. This increases to 18-20 at level 17.

17-Oxens Persistance
Starting at level 17 when you are reduced to O hit points but not killed outright. you can drop to 1 hit point instead. You can use this feature an amount of times equal to your Wisdom modifier.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rat
Ox
Tiger-IP
Rabbit
Dragon
Snake
Horse
Sheep
Monkey
Rooster
Dog
Pig

Made it so Rat Bonus skills didnīt have prement double proff bonus, changed rats 17th auto hit to advantage and auto success into not so auto success
Made it so Ox had to spend ki to gain bonus skill and endurance.

Amnoriath
2019-04-26, 01:08 PM
Half of the abilities you give out should come with a Ki cost as is and you are trying to fit in way too much per level. Finally a few of your abilities come way too early and come rar earlier than other class's versions. Overall way too powerful.

sleepyhead
2019-04-26, 01:56 PM
Half of the abilities you give out should come with a Ki cost as is and you are trying to fit in way too much per level. Finally a few of your abilities come way too early and come rar earlier than other class's versions. Overall way too powerful.

Yeah I get cramming in to much at some one the levels. Could you give some examples of which ones would cost Ki points? Maybe Oxens endurance? Also which abilities are to strong? If I had to choose any it would be the oxens

In addition you gain resistance to Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing damage.
Also does rar mean anything or was that a typo

Edit: So I added it so that bonuses to skills cost Ki and Oxens resistances cost Ki as well.

Question- Would it be better rather then giving Way of the Ox resistance would it be better to give them a better version of Patient defense? Kinda of like how Way of the Drunken Master has better Flurry of Blows.

Crisis21
2019-04-26, 09:48 PM
So, just a thematic suggestion here, but maybe instead of 12 subclasses do one subclass with multiple options per subclass feature?

In fact, since the monk subclasses get four features, it fits in well with the intricacies of Chinese Astrology.

You have the Outer Animal (zodiac sign based on birth year), dominant element (Metal, Water, Wood, Fire, or Earth), Inner Animal (zodiac sign based on birth month), and Secret Animal (zodiac sign based on hour of birth).

So, the subclass progression could look like this:

3rd level would be the Outer animal and thus the first animal ability.

6th level would be the dominant element (Metal, Water, Wood, Fire, Earth) with a corresponding ability

11th level would be the Inner Animal and the second animal ability.

17th level would be the Secret Animal and the third animal ability.

A player could base the combination on their own birth date (I'm a Metal outer Monkey, inner Ox, and secret Dog myself), their character's birth date, or just pick and choose.

Amnoriath
2019-04-27, 10:01 AM
Yeah I get cramming in to much at some one the levels. Could you give some examples of which ones would cost Ki points? Maybe Oxens endurance? Also which abilities are to strong? If I had to choose any it would be the oxens

Also does rar mean anything or was that a typo

Edit: So I added it so that bonuses to skills cost Ki and Oxens resistances cost Ki as well.

Question- Would it be better rather then giving Way of the Ox resistance would it be better to give them a better version of Patient defense? Kinda of like how Way of the Drunken Master has better Flurry of Blows.
1. Really early,
2. It isn't just the amount of abilities it is the power of them. Resistance to non-magical weapon damage would be too good but yours isn't even bypassable. You gave the Elusive rogue feature at level 11 with other abilities too. Elusive is one of the best 18th level features out there and you give it to a Monk who would have better AC and can Dodge as a bonus action.
3. No I would not do that Dodging as a bonus action is strong enough and doesn't make sense.