PDA

View Full Version : Class Feature Equivalencies (or, How To Be Reasonable When Mixing And Matching)

Fax Celestis
2007-10-03, 11:12 AM
After some research of alternate class features, racial substitution levels, and class variants, I have determined the following class features to be "equivalent" to each other. That is to say, it is probably a good assumption--given justification--to assume that these features are relatively equivalent in value and could reasonably be taken by any character.

As always, check with your DM first.
{table=head]Lose | Gain
1 1st level spell slot, 1 2nd level spell slot | Domain Access
A Thousand Faces | Camouflage
Access To Two Domains | One Planar Domain
Advanced Learning | Eclectic Learning
Animal Companion | Distracting Attack
Animal Companion + Wild Empathy | Elemental Companion
Bardic Knowledge | 1/2 Rank/Level in All Rankless Skills
Bonus Feat | Aligned weapon
Bonus Feat | Bardic Knowledge
Bonus Feat | Damage Rolls vs. Extraplanar Creatures +2
Bonus Feat | Domain Granted Power
Bonus Feat | Extend Spell For All Spells Of One School
Bonus Feat | Extradimensional Storage Space
Bonus Feat | Minor Shapechange
Bonus Feat | Psionic Mantle
Bonus Feat | Sneak Attack
Bonus Feat | Spontaneous Spellcasting From One School
Bonus Feat | Telepathy
Bonus Feat | Temporarily Align Weapon
Camouflage | Skill Mastery
Countersong | Counter Fear
Detect Evil | Detect Dragonblood
Detect Evil | Detect Undead
Doge Bonus to AC | Two-Weapon Defense
Domain Granted Power | Spontaneous Restorations
DR 1/- | Damage Rolls With Two-Handed Weapons +2
DR 1/- | DR 2/Adamantine
Elude Touch | Psionic Mantle
Endurance | Heat Endurance
Evasion | Mettle
Evasion | Spell Reflection
Familiar | 1/2 Progression Animal Companion
Familiar | Dark Companion
Familiar | DR 1/Adamantine + Alertness
Familiar | Draconic Heritage
Familiar | Immediate Magic
Familiar | Quicker Metamagic (Limited Per Day)
Fast Movement | Climb Speed
Fast Movement | Improved Grab
Fast Movement | Pounce
Fast Movement | Roofwalker
Fast Movement | Standing Long Jumps
Fast Movement (Land Speed) | Fast Movement (Swim Speed)
Flurry of Blows | Decisive Strike
Flurry of Blows | Skirmish
Grace | SLAs from a limited list
Heavy Armor Proficiency | Air Mastery
Heavy Armor Proficiency | Dodge Feat
Immunity to Venom | Immunity to Planar Effects
Improved Uncanny Dodge | Bonus Feat
Improved Uncanny Dodge | Fortification
Improved Uncanny Dodge | Will Saves vs. Illusions +4
Ki Strike (Adamantine) | Ki Strike (Cold Iron)
-1 Spell From Highest Tier Available | +2 HP/level, Martial Weapon Proficiency, Weapon Focus
Medium and Heavy Armor Proficiencies | Armored Mage (Light)
Progressing Damage Reduction | 1 HP/level
Purity of Body | Elemental Resist 5
Rage | Ferocity
Rage Per Day | Rage When Below 1/2 HP
Remove Disease | Remove Curse
Remove Disease | Remove Fatigue
Resist Nature's Lure | Heat Endurance
Resist Nature's Lure | Saves vs. Outsiders +2
Skirmish | Riposte
Slow Fall | Walk On Water
Smite Evil | Rage
Smite Evil | Ranged Smite Evil
Sneak Attack | Bonus Feat
Special Mount | Charging Smite
Spellcasting (Halfcaster) | Bonus feat every four levels
Spontaneous Cure/Inflict Spells | Spontaneous Domain Spells
Spontaneous Summon Nature's Ally | Spontaneous Rejuvenation Spells
Still Mind | Saves vs. One Alignment +2
Suggestion | Command
Suggestion | Saves vs. Mind-Affecting Effects +2
Swift Tracker | Planar Intuition
Track | Urban Tracking
Track + Swift Tracker | Trapfinding + Disable Device
Trap Sense | 1/2 Precision Damage vs. Immune Creatures
Trap Sense | Dodge Bonus vs. Spells
Trap Sense | Nature Sense
Trap Sense | Portal Sense
Trap Sense | Reflex Rerolls
Trap Sense | Trapfinding
Turn Undead | Smite Evil Outsider
Turn/Rebuke Undead | Smite
Uncanny Dodge | Disruptive Attack
Uncanny Dodge | Light Fortification
Uncanny Dodge | Reckless Charge
Volatile Mind | Expanded Knowledge
Weapon Focus + Weapon Specialization | Add Temporary HP To Buff Spells
Wild Empathy | Vermin Empathy
Wild Shape + Animal Companion | Shapechange
Woodland Stride | Crowd-Walker
Woodland Stride | Sandskimmer[/table]
I have bolded in the table above those entries that I thought were the best point to measure equivalent powers, so perhaps that will serve as a baseline.

As you can see from the table, a lot of what's presented as "alternate class features" is really merely changing the targets that are eligible for the original power: Wild Empathy and Vermin Empathy, for instance. It is probably a reasonable assumption to assume that swapping one type for another within a specific class feature is roughly equivalent in power.

Extrapolating from this, however, one might be able to do even more within the flexibility of the system. Theoretically, one could trade Flurry of Blows for a Skirmish progression, and then trade the Skirmish progression for a Riposte progression. Similarly, one could trade Turn/Rebuke Undead for Smiting, then trade the Smiting for Rage, and the Rage for Ferocity.

Thoughts?

Kaelik
2007-10-03, 12:37 PM
This is sort of specific, but is there a specific example of Familiar for Draconic Heritage? I've commonly houseruled it in many cases, but I've never seen an actual option.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-03, 12:38 PM
This is sort of specific, but is there a specific example of Familiar for Draconic Heritage? I've commonly houseruled it in many cases, but I've never seen an actual option.

Racial Substitution Level from Races of the Dragon, I believe.

Indon
2007-10-03, 12:44 PM
The list says Evasion=Mettle, in bold. To my knowledge, there is no "Improved" Mettle, and most classes that gain Evasion also gain Improved Evasion, so does that line mean Evasion and Improved Evasion = Mettle?

Fax Celestis
2007-10-03, 12:46 PM
The list says Evasion=Mettle, in bold. To my knowledge, there is no "Improved" Mettle, and most classes that gain Evasion also gain Improved Evasion, so does that line mean Evasion and Improved Evasion = Mettle?

There is indeed an Improved Mettle, though it is generally gained via a magic item, not a class feature. What it does is make it so that you ignore the effects of Fort/Will Partial on a successful save, and take the partial even on a failed one.

To answer your question, no. In an instance like that, I would either replace Improved Evasion with Improved Mettle or replace it with regular Evasion.

Fizban
2007-10-03, 12:49 PM
Excellent list, and I believe from your response that you did it mostly by memory. For those of us who can't remember what comes from which book, a third column of "source" would be appreciated.

*Not trying to be snarky:smallwink: *

Indon
2007-10-03, 12:50 PM
Also, what about Familiar - Spontaneous Metamagic, which the Sorceror can get I believe in the PHB 2?

Shisumo
2007-10-03, 01:41 PM

Almost all the classes that use this substitution (all the ones I can think of, anyway) give Evasion at the level they would get Improved Evasaion.

Also, what about Familiar - Spontaneous Metamagic, which the Sorceror can get I believe in the PHB 2?
It's already on the list, under Familiar = Quicker Metamagic (limited per day).

fireinthedust
2007-10-03, 02:05 PM
I would say real balance comes in the harmony of features and level, rather than mixing and matching.

Consider this: power attack trees are useless for a mage in a high-level game. This is obvious: not enough bab to swap with enough left over to hit high-level monsters.

As well, spellcasting depends on which spell list and progression one has. Is the druid the match of a wizard, based on full caster and wildshape vs. wizard spell lists? You can't really mix and match that element: swap the bonus feats of a wizard full-caster with a druid' wildshape, are you nuts?!

That said, and given the reams of your material I've read Fax (including that Paladin varient, of which I am a fan), I'd say there are elements that can be swapped but you'd have to ask by whom. If we divided it up by Bab or role, you'd have Warriors, Clerics/bards/druids, sor/wizards/psions.
A barbarian with Rage could swap that with a fighter's feat tree; but rage for a Bard wouldn't have the same Umph, and so wouldn't be reasonable.

So what I'm saying is context. Who's swapping what, and what does it give 'em?

Also: I'd say try out Mutants and Masterminds 2nd ed. You're taking 3.5 and shuffling around pre-made engine bits from other cars with feat/feature swapping. Mutants and Masterminds gives you the nuts and bolts and generic parts, and then you build up the car the way you want it.

at least take a look. Its goal was to strip down 3.5 to the real elements, to give an idea of what exactly one is doing with each ability or class feature and the ability to monitor exactly customization.

psychoticbarber
2007-10-03, 02:39 PM
Is it possible to go backwards?

For example, to exchange Sneak Attack for a Bonus Feat?

I'm considering using this list to build personalized balanced variants for a game I'm starting soon.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-03, 02:46 PM
Is it possible to go backwards?

For example, to exchange Sneak Attack for a Bonus Feat?

I'm considering using this list to build personalized balanced variants for a game I'm starting soon.

I don't see why not. Also, look further down the list: "Lose: Sneak Attack; Gain: Bonus Feat".

Excellent list, and I believe from your response that you did it mostly by memory. For those of us who can't remember what comes from which book, a third column of "source" would be appreciated.

*Not trying to be snarky:smallwink: *

I'll try.

Also note, these are just hte simple ones. There are other variants (mostly out of UA) that do too much to be able to accurately determine equivalents.

psychoticbarber
2007-10-03, 02:47 PM
I don't see why not. Also, look further down the list: "Lose: Sneak Attack; Gain: Bonus Feat".

Haha, there it is. Thanks. I'll be sure to post the variants as I create them.

Person_Man
2007-10-03, 03:32 PM
First of all, thanks for doing this.

Your chart reminds me of the point based class builder from the 2nd ed DMG. I always wished that Unearthed Arcana had included something similar. I have no desire to create GURPS D&D, but I've always thought that having such a point system (or something similar) would help 3rd party publishers immensely, making game balance a lot easier.

psychoticbarber
2007-10-03, 03:59 PM
First of all, thanks for doing this.

Your chart reminds me of the point based class builder from the 2nd ed DMG. I always wished that Unearthed Arcana had included something similar. I have no desire to create GURPS D&D, but I've always thought that having such a point system (or something similar) would help 3rd party publishers immensely, making game balance a lot easier.

I completely agree, on both counts.

Gralamin
2007-10-03, 06:16 PM
This is great Fax. Sources would be nice though :smallwink:

Kurald Galain
2007-10-04, 06:14 AM
There's some nice things on this list. For instance, I've had a wizard character that would totally have spent a feat on bardic knowledge if possible, because it was extremely fitting for his sage/know-it-all status.

I wonder about the "Bonus Feat | Extend Spell For All Spells Of One School" bit, though. Does that mean free extend? If so, woot!

Swapping a bonus feat for Minor Shapechange, or Spontaneous Spellcasting From One School, or Telepathy, or Imp Uncanny Dodge is probably too much, as is evasion to spell reflection, and fast movement to pounce (yes, yes, lion barb level 1, but that is considered somewhat cheesy)

Looking at this, I'd say D&D could benefit from a skill/feet tree.

Fishy
2008-01-22, 08:58 AM
Thanks for this, Fax! I really wish there were more equivalencies for Trap Finding, though.

Chronicled
2008-01-22, 09:12 AM
is probably too much, as is evasion to spell reflection

Actually, the Spell Reflection from CM is really limited, and only recommended if you're going to be getting Evasion from two different classes (multiclassing Monk/Rogue, for instance), since it's better than nothing.

I really like this list. It looks like it'll be a big help with the campaign I'm starting. Thanks Fax!

(and sorry for contributing to thread necro)

Fawsto
2008-01-22, 04:41 PM
Nice work. I am faving this topic so I can check it out anytime.

-- Faws

Fax Celestis
2008-01-22, 05:01 PM
I need to update this...

Miles Invictus
2008-01-22, 05:21 PM
Trading Flurry for Skirmish? That'd make Monks slightly more viable.

-1 Spell From Highest Tier Available ---> +2 HP/level, Martial Weapon Proficiency, Weapon Focus

Is that from the Battle Sorcerer variant? It looks like it, but the Battle Sorcerer makes a lot of trades.

Linkage. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer)

Good work, though. I'm bookmarking this.

TheThan
2008-01-22, 05:47 PM
This is really cool, you can easily use this to make a point based class system, or just for homebrewing.

Fizban
2008-01-22, 06:05 PM
Trading Flurry for Skirmish? That'd make Monks slightly more viable.

Is that from the Battle Sorcerer variant? It looks like it, but the Battle Sorcerer makes a lot of trades.

Linkage. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer)

Good work, though. I'm bookmarking this.

No, it's from the Stalwart Sorcerer variant. Complete Mage? Combining the two has been suggested, though which order to stack them in for loss of spells is unclear. This would give 1d8+2+con hp/level, equivalent to a d12 average, which sounds really nifty even if it isn't.

Fax Celestis
2008-01-22, 06:30 PM
No, it's from the Stalwart Sorcerer variant. Complete Mage? Combining the two has been suggested, though which order to stack them in for loss of spells is unclear. This would give 1d8+2+con hp/level, equivalent to a d12 average, which sounds really nifty even if it isn't.

That's not all you get, though. You also get proficiency with two martial weapons, weapon focus with one of them, 3/4 BAB, and Armored Mage (Light).

Couple this with the Domain Sorceror variant (from CCham, and preferably for a domain like War) and you can end up with a rather strong monoclass-gish.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-22, 07:09 PM
There is indeed an Improved Mettle, though it is generally gained via a magic item, not a class feature. What it does is make it so that you ignore the effects of Fort/Will Partial on a successful save, and take the partial even on a failed one.

To answer your question, no. In an instance like that, I would either replace Improved Evasion with Improved Mettle or replace it with regular Evasion.

The Void Incarnate also gains Improved Mettle; there, it seems to be given more value than Improved Evasion.

mostlyharmful
2008-01-22, 07:11 PM
The Void Incarnate also gains Improved Mettle; there, it seems to be given more value than Improved Evasion.

I'd take Improved Mettle over Improved Evasion in a heartbeat. The SoS, SoL, SoD spells just make Ref the least important save in any game I've every heard off.

Fizban
2008-01-22, 11:24 PM
That's not all you get, though. You also get proficiency with two martial weapons, weapon focus with one of them, 3/4 BAB, and Armored Mage (Light).

Couple this with the Domain Sorceror variant (from CCham, and preferably for a domain like War) and you can end up with a rather strong monoclass-gish.

True. I meant mostly to discourage taking it only for the high effective hit die. Which I suppose would have made more sense if I'd listed the other benefits too. I assume you're taking the War domain for divine power? What other domains would be worthwhile? I'd think domain sorcerer would be one too many drains on your spells known.

Overlord
2008-01-23, 12:47 AM
I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for assembling that list, Fax. Not only does it confirm what I had already suspected regarding several abilities, but it got me to thinking about others. I haven't homebrewed in a while, but I'm going to be starting again soon, and this list will come in handy, as I was just thinking about making a class with ability options. Thanks for your hard work!

Wordmiser
2008-01-23, 02:41 AM
Trading Flurry for Skirmish? That'd make Monks slightly more viable.The Skirmish is only +2d6/+1 AC... not enough to actually boost the monk at all.

The "Size Matters Not" Halfling Monk feature is pretty nifty though.

Reinboom
2008-01-23, 03:04 AM
Have you considered updating this with other equals?
For example, trading something for a higher hit die. Or more skill points.

It would be interesting to see these come up.

Actually... is there any classes that have alternatives that allow this? I can only think of the battle sorcerer which gets bonus HP - but that has been listed.

RTGoodman
2008-01-23, 08:14 AM
Have you considered updating this with other equals?
For example, trading something for a higher hit die. Or more skill points.

It would be interesting to see these come up.

Actually... is there any classes that have alternatives that allow this? I can only think of the battle sorcerer which gets bonus HP - but that has been listed.

I think the Changeling Rogue Racial Substitution Levels from maybe Races of Eberron loses trapfinding (or something dealing with traps - someone who has access to the book should verify this) to gain a whopping 10+Int skill points.

Of course, I've always wondered - this is a 1st-level Substitution Level, so does that mean you only get 8+Int at every other level besides first? Or does it mean you just give up the one ability to always get 10+Int?

Fax Celestis
2008-01-23, 11:21 AM
I think the Changeling Rogue Racial Substitution Levels from maybe Races of Eberron loses trapfinding (or something dealing with traps - someone who has access to the book should verify this) to gain a whopping 10+Int skill points.

Of course, I've always wondered - this is a 1st-level Substitution Level, so does that mean you only get 8+Int at every other level besides first? Or does it mean you just give up the one ability to always get 10+Int?

You get the 10+Int at the one level.

Kioran
2008-01-23, 11:28 AM
These are, at best, rough guidelines, not hard-and-fast exchanges with guaranteed balance - how could they be? IŽd advise great caution and a little playtesting before one unleashes a new Franken-class on ones players/DM. But yeah, some kind of equilibirum between better HD and class Features is something to dream of/aspire to........

Chronicled
2008-01-23, 02:24 PM

They do lose trapfinding; but that can be nabbed from many other classes if it's needed.

The substitution level also gives the superb ability to take 10 on Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, and Sense Motive checks; reduce the time needed for a Gather Information check to 1d4+1x10 minutes (instead of 1d4+1 hours); and make a "gut assessment" Sense Motive check as a full-round action (instead of a full minute).