PDA

View Full Version : How close should warlocks and patrons be?

stewstew5
2019-04-26, 12:26 PM
Warlocks are kind of left to their own devices for what sort of relationship they have with their patron and the identity thereof. There are suggested ones in Xanathar’s guide, but no set in stone rules. So my question is, as a DM (or a player who’s really good at method acting) what’s the closest you’d let your warlock be with their patron?

stewstew5
2019-04-26, 12:29 PM
For further discussion, I’m making a warlock who summoned a Succubus to relieve some tensions and ended up pleasuring them so thoroughly that they were awarded with magic powers.

Their relationship isn’t sugar daddy I’ll get you whatever you want, but they are fond of each other but any big gifts would have to be earned, some way or another

redwizard007
2019-04-26, 09:38 PM
For further discussion, I’m making a warlock who summoned a Succubus to relieve some tensions and ended up pleasuring them so thoroughly that they were awarded with magic powers.

Their relationship isn’t sugar daddy I’ll get you whatever you want, but they are fond of each other but any big gifts would have to be earned, some way or another

I'm not saying this is wrong, but do succubi have the juice to make a warlock? I can see demon princes, but rank and file fiends seem kind of light to bestow that kind of power.

Jaelommiss
2019-04-26, 10:00 PM
I'm not saying this is wrong, but do succubi have the juice to make a warlock? I can see demon princes, but rank and file fiends seem kind of light to bestow that kind of power.

A succubus is probably charismatic and smart enough to make you think that it's your patron when it's really selling power on behalf of a third party. There's a good chance it would also be siphoning off a small part of the power that the warlock should be getting.

Particle_Man
2019-04-26, 10:36 PM
In the comic a succubus tried to get an ex-paladin to become a black guard so I guess they have enough juice. Or at least connections to someone with the juice.

stewstew5
2019-04-26, 10:46 PM

I use succubus to mean a lust demon, not necessarily a Succubus/Incubus. Think Asmodeus

redwizard007
2019-04-26, 10:56 PM
I use succubus to mean a lust demon, not necessarily a Succubus/Incubus. Think Asmodeus

So you summoned Asmodeus. In the moment it took for him to smite you, he saw a... Special something in your eyes. After reassembling your corpse and raising you from the dead, Asmodeus begins to run his hands across his finely muscled abdomen. Down to the waist of his britches. Then lower. He bites his lip as he reaches out for your soft, supple hand...

Nope. That's probably not something we want to explore at my table. You go ahead and do you, though.

Millstone85
2019-04-27, 04:35 AM
Warlocks are kind of left to their own devices for what sort of relationship they have with their patron and the identity thereof. There are suggested ones in Xanathar’s guide, but no set in stone rules. So my question is, as a DM (or a player who’s really good at method acting) what’s the closest you’d let your warlock be with their patron?I don't see what method acting has to do with it. Anyway, my warlock regards her patron as a godparent, having been entrusted to said patron by her dying mother. She is aware that her patron probably saw her as an offering, but that patron is still the one who raised her.

For further discussion, I’m making a warlock who summoned a Succubus to relieve some tensions and ended up pleasuring them so thoroughly that they were awarded with magic powers.I have seen that hentai. :smallamused:

I'm not saying this is wrong, but do succubi have the juice to make a warlock? I can see demon princes, but rank and file fiends seem kind of light to bestow that kind of power.If we are going with 5e lore, as the mention of XGtE suggests, then succubi/incubi exist outside of the infernal hierarchy and the abyssal food chain. They are their own separate type of fiend.

Now, the succubus/incubus is statted at CR4. Compare this to the night hag, statted at CR5. The PHB mentions "ancient hags" as possible patrons, so I could see an ancient succubus/incubus working as well.

I use succubus to mean a lust demon, not necessarily a Succubus/Incubus. Think AsmodeusI doubt Asmodeus would reward you for calling him a demon. :smalltongue:

stewstew5
2019-04-27, 11:16 AM
I don't see what method acting has to do with it. Anyway, my warlock regards her patron as a godparent, having been entrusted to said patron by her dying mother. She is aware that her patron probably saw her as an offering, but that patron is still the one who raised her.[/QUOTE
Method acting to get into the mind of a DM

[QUOTE=Millstone85;23871706
I have seen that hentai. :smallamused:

:smallwink:

[QUOTE=Millstone85;23871706
Now, the succubus/incubus is statted at CR4. Compare this to the night hag, statted at CR5. The PHB mentions "ancient hags" as possible patrons, so I could see an ancient succubus/incubus working as well.
[/QUOTE

You get it

Pippa the Pixie
2019-04-27, 12:28 PM
Well, for most games the answer will be: As close as the player wants.

By default the parton just gives it's power and lets the character do wahtever the player wants.

Most games don't have a problem with the patron giving a vague quest, but not one that is ''drop everything and obey me slave".

In my game, it depends on the player.

The bad players get the by the book patron in name only....and the player just does whatever they want.

Good players...they get the whole long game patron storyline with a close patron. The patron asks for favors and gives aid. Some are random...some are part of a plan or plans. Sooner or later the patron might reveal the plan.

Mastikator
2019-04-27, 01:12 PM
I second "as close as the player wants". If the player wants closeness then that's great story point opportunity, if not then the patron still gets what the patron wants.

Vhaidara
2019-05-01, 12:14 PM
I've got 2 active warlocks in 4e right now.

The first is a Paladin|Warlock hybrid whose patron and god are the same being: Mephistopheles. Who is also his dad. So yeah, pretty close, considering that he actually spent weekends in Hell with his old man (yes, it is part of a plot to turn the character into a superweapon for Hell on the part of Meph which is why Meph plays the role of an actually not complete crap parent). Oh, and he also has Fey ties because his foster mother was the patron about to be mentioned below.

The other is a Wizard|Warlock hybrid who pacted with the Summer Court of the Fey. At this point in his arc he actually considers his patron more of a peer than a superior, since the Fey Pact is only a small part of his own power (specifically, he made the pact to gain access to Summer Fire, which he has now merged with Hellfire and Truespeech into his own unique blend of magic). He still stays in touch with his patron, because he enjoys her company and she knows a lot of stuff, and he does favors for her, but they're more like academic friends than any kind of power balance.

I've seen warlocks whose "pact" was actually a demon sealed within them with power seeping out in sort of controllable ways.

Basically, the relationship can be whatever fits the character.