PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Wandering Domain - A Cleric subclass based on League of Legend's Bard(PEACH)

Vogie
2019-04-26, 03:26 PM
Wandering Domain

With texts describing a traveling caretaker from beyond the stars, Wandering clerics are agents of serendipity who fight to maintain a balance where life can endure the indifference of chaos. Many Runeterrans ponder their extraordinary nature, yet they all agree that the vagabonds are drawn to artifacts of great magical power. Surrounded by a jubilant choir of helpful spirit chimes, it is impossible to mistake their actions as malevolent, as they always serves the greater good... in their own odd way

Wandering Domain Spells

Cleric Level
Spells

1st
Color Spray, Cure Wounds

3rd
Spiritual Weapon, Expeditious Retreat

5th
Create Food/Water, Glyph Of Warding

7th
Grasping Vine, Freedom of Movement

9th
Passwall, Wrath of Nature

Ancient Chimes
When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain the Toll the Dead cantrip if you don't already know it. For you, it deals radiant damage instead of necrotic damage.

Caretaker's Shrine
Also at 1st level, when you cast a spell of 1st level or higher that restores hit points to a creature, you can use choose to target an unoccupied 5-foot cube you can see within 60 feet of you instead. You cause a tiny glowing shrine to shimmer into existence on the ground holding that healing energy. Whenever you or an allied creature moves into the shrine's space for the first time this turn or starts its turn there, the shrine vanishes and restores the hit points to that creature, and their speed increases by 10 ft this turn. Shines last for 1 minute, and you can't have more than 3 shrines active at one time. If a shrine lasts for 2 rounds, you add your proficiency bonus to the amount of hit points restored.

Channel Divinity: Cosmic Binding
Starting at 2nd level, as an action, you can toss a bola made of energy in a line that is 1 foot wide and 30 feet long which passes harmlessly through objects, ignoring cover. Each creature in that line must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, a creature is restrained until the beginning of your next turn and takes radiant damage equal to 2d8 plus your cleric level. On a successful save, a creature takes half damage and suffers no other conditions.

Channel Divinity: Enter the Unknown
Beginning at 6th level, you can present your holy symbol to make a passage appear on a surface (such as a wall ceiling or a floor) that is up to 5 feet wide, 8 feet tall, and 20 feet deep, which lasts for a single round. The passage creates no instability in a structure surrounding it, can only be used to enter the new area, and any creatures or objects still in the passage created by the spell when the effect ends are safely ejected to an unoccupied space nearest to the surface on which you use this feature.

Potent Spellcasting
Starting at 8th level, you add your Wisdom modifier to the damage you deal with any cleric cantrip.

Tempered Fate
Starting at 17th level, you can throw a mote of cosmic energy to a point you choose within 120 feet, which creates a 20 ft radius sphere for 1 round. The energy spreads around corners. Each creature within the area but within 5 ft of the edge of that sphere must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, a creature is restrained and completely immune to damage and conditions until the beginning of your next turn (creatures can choose to fail their save, and creatures within 5ft of the mote automatically fail). On a successful save, a creatures suffers no conditions.

Please tell me what you think!

Potato_Priest
2019-04-27, 03:21 PM
I think this looks pretty good, though the level one feature is a bit lacklustre and the level 2 channel divinity could use some work.

First off, creating a shrine is really only useful with a very small subset of healing spells: Spells that a) only heal one target and b) have a range of touch. The only spell off the top of my head that meets those parameters is Cure Wounds. Apart from this spell, there's basically no reason to use a shrine, since the minute duration doesn't really let you prepare far enough in advance for it to be useful, and if you use a shrine with a multitarget healing spell you lose a *lot* of oomph. I'd suggest you come up with some other functions for a shrine (slowing down enemies, perhaps), or replace this feature with something else.

Now, on to the channel divinity.

Channel Divinity: Cosmic Binding
Starting at 2nd level, as an action, as an action,

Apart from the typo highlighted above, this looks like a good channel divinity. At second level. Unlike the similar channel divinity of the light domain cleric however, this one doesn't scale at all as you level up, so what's quite an appealing option at level 2 will eventually become relatively lacklustre. I might change the damage so that it somehow scales as you level up.

Blackbando
2019-04-27, 08:53 PM
Apart from the typo highlighted above, this looks like a good channel divinity. At second level. Unlike the similar channel divinity of the light domain cleric however, this one doesn't scale at all as you level up, so what's quite an appealing option at level 2 will eventually become relatively lacklustre. I might change the damage so that it somehow scales as you level up.

Could handle it like the Light domain, and just make it the current damage + cleric level.

As for the shrines, I think they'd be fine if they weren't limited to Wisdom modifier uses per long rest - I don't see a real reason to restrict the uses on a feature like that.

Vogie
2019-04-29, 08:07 AM
I think this looks pretty good, though the level one feature is a bit lacklustre and the level 2 channel divinity could use some work.

First off, creating a shrine is really only useful with a very small subset of healing spells: Spells that a) only heal one target and b) have a range of touch. The only spell off the top of my head that meets those parameters is Cure Wounds. Apart from this spell, there's basically no reason to use a shrine, since the minute duration doesn't really let you prepare far enough in advance for it to be useful, and if you use a shrine with a multitarget healing spell you lose a *lot* of oomph. I'd suggest you come up with some other functions for a shrine (slowing down enemies, perhaps), or replace this feature with something else.

It doesn't say anything about a range of touch, just "when you cast a spell of 1st level or higher that restores hit points to a creature". That allows you to either use the bonus action Healing Word, or the action Cure Wounds, and, later, Heal. The core of the ability is that you can pre-cast healing spells before they're needed, or in places that they may be needed in the future (allowing them to avoid line of sight issues). I've added a small MS boost, and the ability for the shrine to 'grow' to include a buff equal to the proficiency bonus to the number of hit points returned. I've also made it a range of 60 ft, to match heal & healing word, and removed the Wis/LR limiter.

I used Blackbando's idea to make the Cosmic Binding scale with cleric level.

Thanks all!

RickAsWritten
2019-04-29, 08:39 AM
Tempered Fate
Starting at 17th level, you can throw a mote of cosmic energy to a point you choose within 120 feet, which creates a 30 ft radius sphere for 1 round. The energy spreads around corners. Each creature near the outer edge of that sphere must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, a creature is restrained and completely immune to damage and conditions until the beginning of your next turn (creatures can choose to fail their save, and creatures within 5ft of the mote automatically fail). On a successful save, a creatures suffers no conditions.

What does "near the outer edge of the sphere" mean? Do you fail auto-fail if you are inside the radius?

Other than that, it's neat and looks fun to play. I particularly like the shrines.

Vogie
2019-04-29, 09:40 AM
What does "near the outer edge of the sphere" mean? Do you fail auto-fail if you are inside the radius?

Other than that, it's neat and looks fun to play. I particularly like the shrines.

That's a good catch - it should be the inner edge of the sphere. That's been updated.

Yes, the idea is that those in the epicenter autofail, while those at the edge can attempt to dive out of the way:

(creatures can choose to fail their save, and creatures within 5ft of the mote automatically fail)

It won't effect those that can BAMF away as a reaction.

In LoL, the ability can be used either offensively or defensively. You can use TF to:

make your allies (or self) immune to damage for a round
restrain the enemies for a round for you to maneuver
effectively pause a fight in a certain area
Disrupt ongoing stuff
Lock up mechanisms like Traps or Siege weapons