PDA

View Full Version : Planar Shepard worth it at later level

Aelar
2019-04-26, 06:11 PM
Hello,
I’m currently a 8 level Druid (neutral good) and I’m wondering whether it would be worth it to become a Planar Shepard at level 10? Because I know druids usually take it at level 5.
Bear in mind that my DM has told me that he won’t let me take wild shape forms that can grant wishes or miracles and such.

Also, i usually summon creatures, as I’m currently almost always wild shaped to a Desmodu Flying Bat

I’ve gone through the Planar Shepard Handbook but I’m still not sure.

Thanks

Hellpyre
2019-04-26, 06:18 PM
Short answer - yes.

Long answer - The reason Planar Shepherd is so highly regarded is because it advances all three of your major class features, as well as giving additional power on top. There's basically no point where entering the PC is a bad choice for an otherwise straight druid, so long as the entry requirements aren't a burden on your build (and they are minor enough that they shouldn't be). Go for it.

MisterKaws
2019-04-26, 06:19 PM
If you're just going straight Druid, you won't lose much from going Shepherd, maybe a few Wild Shape forms. You can potentially gain quite a lot if you scrounge the books for weird Magic Beasts with rare SLAs when you get to level 3, so I don't think it'd be totally worthless, maybe just not as absurd as having the Planar Wild Shape at Character Level 8, of course.

Aelar
2019-04-26, 06:39 PM
First of all, thank you, I’ve been considering it for a while now and I really needed the advice.

Just to be sure, all the stuff that I would get if I was a straight Druid like wild shape tiny, plant, huge, timeless body, etc. are still not as good as what I would get as a Planar Shepard, right?

Also, considering I’m a neutral good character I was thinking of taking either Syrania (no angels) or Lamannia as my plane. What do you think? Which one of these is better, is there another plane that is more worth it that I missed?

Thanks

MisterKaws
2019-04-26, 06:48 PM
First of all, thank you, I’ve been considering it for a while now and I really needed the advice.

Just to be sure, all the stuff that I would get if I was a straight Druid like wild shape tiny, plant, huge, timeless body, etc. are still not as good as what I would get as a Planar Shepard, right?

Also, considering I’m a neutral good character I was thinking of taking either Syrania (no angels) or Lamannia as my plane. What do you think? Which one of these is better, is there another plane that is more worth it that I missed?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you still get sizes with Planar Shepherd, just not Plant and Elemental. As for Timeless Body, that's mostly fluff, since there's like 2 effects in the entire game that affect aging directly.

And even then, Reincarnate is a Druid spell. Just find a way to make it contingent. Maybe an Artificer friend to craft a Contingent Spell.

Hellpyre
2019-04-26, 06:55 PM
As far as choice of plane, are you restricted to a particular cosmology?

Aelar
2019-04-26, 07:03 PM
As far as choice of plane, are you restricted to a particular cosmology?

Not that I know of, I went through all the planes in the Planar Shepard Handbook so I’m not sure if those are dependent on any cosmology except Eberron I think. But anyway, I’m probably not restricted, what do you suggest?

Aelar
2019-04-26, 07:05 PM
I'm pretty sure you still get sizes with Planar Shepherd, just not Plant and Elemental. As for Timeless Body, that's mostly fluff, since there's like 2 effects in the entire game that affect aging directly.

And even then, Reincarnate is a Druid spell. Just find a way to make it contingent. Maybe an Artificer friend to craft a Contingent Spell.

Oh ok, that good to know, cause the sizes were more important to me than the other stuff. I figured the plant and element won’t matter as much if I become a planar shepard.

Hellpyre
2019-04-26, 07:20 PM
Not that I know of, I went through all the planes in the Planar Shepard Handbook so I’m not sure if those are dependent on any cosmology except Eberron I think. But anyway, I’m probably not restricted, what do you suggest?

Those are all Eberron cosmology (as it is an Eberron class). If you are restricted to Eberron, Lammania is your best bet (since your DM will almost certainly veto the time planes). If you can pull from standard cosmology, the Astral Plane has basically anything you could want for a form, and the bubble will quicken all your spells and SLAs. Acheron is also a good source of bodies to snag with the capstone, although the magical beasts are few and far bewteen for the level 3 ability.

Aelar
2019-04-27, 07:51 AM
Those are all Eberron cosmology (as it is an Eberron class). If you are restricted to Eberron, Lammania is your best bet (since your DM will almost certainly veto the time planes). If you can pull from standard cosmology, the Astral Plane has basically anything you could want for a form, and the bubble will quicken all your spells and SLAs. Acheron is also a good source of bodies to snag with the capstone, although the magical beasts are few and far bewteen for the level 3 ability.

I can’t seem to find a list of monsters for the Astral Plane, can you point me in the right direction?

Endarire
2019-04-28, 05:34 PM
Elysium is a spiffy default cosmosogy plane for non-Evil (but especially NG) Druids.

As a Planar Shepherd, your Wild Shape size categories increase, but you don't get other class features (Plant Wild Shape, Elemental Wild Shape, Timeless Body, Poison Immunity). Enhance Wild Shape (Druid4) can get you Plant Wild Shape and certain planes can get you Elemental Wild Shape.

Eggynack's Druid Encyclopedia (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?439991-Being-Everything-Eggynack-s-Comprehensive-Druid-Handbook) has Reshy's Planar Shepherd Mini-Handbook (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1maqfzntJ6zAynJ4FQkWkDjJCUtCT0evHKefyBivtAx4/edit#) which should help. Also, refer to Tweedledope's Planar Shepherd Guide (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?471440-The-Planar-Shepherd-Handbook-(Tweedledope)) for Eberronian forms.

Sleven
2019-04-30, 01:10 AM
Everyone who wants to rant and rave about planar shepherd seems to forget that their Planar Bubble ability requires concentration, which means no spellcasting while its up. If you want to benefit from the Astral Plane, etc. for spellcasting you're only going to be doing so for 1d10 rounds. You're actually better off taking Extra Spell: Planar Bubble.

Since you're already level 8, you get the Shapechange spell at level 17 (the same level you would get outsider and elemental shapes with your current progression). Thus, the benefits of the class are considerably diminished. That being said, the class would/could effectively save you a 9th level spell slot (or two) if you don't see yourself needing the in-combat versatility and healing Shapechange offers. So it isn't all bad.

If it was me, I would actually consider transitioning into an arcane hierophant build. Potentially with Aberrant Wild Shape.

ezekielraiden
2019-04-30, 07:09 AM
Planar Shepherd is great, I highly recommend it. It's double lice if you pick a good-aligned outer plane and manage to reach epic levels: Solar *is* an option from some planes. So if you're expecting to hit at least level 20 eventually, why not? It's fun and flavorful without costing much. Any other PrC will have some kind of opportunity cost (probably a steep one), so I'd say you have few reasons to *not* choose PShep unless you're really jonesing for something specific.

Endarire
2019-04-30, 04:05 PM
Planar Bubble requires Concentration. Take the Swift Concentration skill trick from Complete Scoundrel and you're set!

RoboEmperor
2019-04-30, 04:10 PM
Planar Bubble requires Concentration. Take the Swift Concentration skill trick from Complete Scoundrel and you're set!

You still can't cast spells while maintaining concentration and you can only use swift concentration once per battle.

ezekielraiden
2019-05-01, 08:43 AM
You still can't cast spells while maintaining concentration and you can only use swift concentration once per battle.

UMD a wand of sonorous hum?