PDA

View Full Version : 12 Levels and a Staff of Power in AL

Snowbluff
2019-04-26, 09:49 PM
I have like an old T3 character who doesn't really work right anymore. He's level 12, my only T3 remaining, has a Staff of Power, a Staff of Frost, a Frostbrand Rapier, and a Statuette of St. Markovia. What should I do with this, given it's PHB+1 and I got a rebuild from the DM quest.

Deathtongue
2019-04-26, 10:34 PM
I have like an old T3 character who doesn't really work right anymore. He's level 12, my only T3 remaining, has a Staff of Power, a Staff of Frost, a Frostbrand Rapier, and a Statuette of St. Markovia. What should I do with this, given it's PHB+1 and I got a rebuild from the DM quest.
Continue playing them as normal. Your old T3 character will have a lot of money compared to new characters (which rules) and since they're just starting T3 they get access to some awesome options for magical items.

Snowbluff
2019-04-26, 10:38 PM
Continue playing them as normal. Your old T3 character will have a lot of money compared to new characters (which rules) and since they're just starting T3 they get access to some awesome options for magical items.

Rebuilding doesn't get rid of the money anyway. Idon't like the current build anymore.

Zuras
2019-04-26, 10:44 PM
What do you dislike about your current build?

Rebuild so the new PC doesn’t do whatever was annoying you.

sithlordnergal
2019-04-26, 10:48 PM
So, I actually have a character in AL with a Staff of Power. She is a Paladin/Druid/Sorcerer, and uses Shillelgah on the staff. It's actually a pretty good combo, since she can heal with her Dream Druid and Paladin abilities, has a lot of battlefield control that Sorcerers tend to lack, and the firepower a Druid normally lacks. And she can hit like a truck thanks to Shillelgah, Smite, and the 1d6 from the staff.

Quoz
2019-04-27, 04:01 AM
EK 10/ wizard 2 (pick your subclass) or hexblade

EK's disadvantage to saves plus the increased difficulty from the staff and the additional high level spells that most EKs can only dream of is going to make for a lot of successful save or suck moments. Plus, you're still a PAM fighter with a +2 weapon.

Snowbluff
2019-04-27, 08:09 AM
What do you dislike about your current build?

Rebuild so the new PC doesn’t do whatever was annoying you.
It's a super old Bladesinger Paladin. The character wasn't well optimized in the first place, so their stats are everywhere. They were only valid for the MC in the first place because they got a Cha bonus from a dark gift in Ravenloft (the season this character was made). They're not horrible at fighting (I took polearm master the level after I got the staff, so 3 smites per turn), but their stats are great for it, being super MAD (str for staff, int for spell, dex for AC, needs more con).

So, I actually have a character in AL with a Staff of Power. She is a Paladin/Druid/Sorcerer, and uses Shillelgah on the staff. It's actually a pretty good combo, since she can heal with her Dream Druid and Paladin abilities, has a lot of battlefield control that Sorcerers tend to lack, and the firepower a Druid normally lacks. And she can hit like a truck thanks to Shillelgah, Smite, and the 1d6 from the staff.
This is actually quite interesting. I could sub in Hexblade instead of Shillelagh.

EK 10/ wizard 2 (pick your subclass) or hexblade

EK's disadvantage to saves plus the increased difficulty from the staff and the additional high level spells that most EKs can only dream of is going to make for a lot of successful save or suck moments. Plus, you're still a PAM fighter with a +2 weapon.
Hmm, ways to give Disadvantage on spells
1) Eldritch Knight
2) Arcane Trickster
3) Sorcerer.

I was avoiding making my umpteenth paladin, but I might end up doing it, possibly with one of those options rolled in. :smalltongue:

Mikal
2019-04-27, 10:06 AM
Let them retire in dignity since apparently season nine won’t let you get non CCC story rewards or specific treasure ?

Snowbluff
2019-04-27, 10:39 AM
Let them retire in dignity since apparently season nine won’t let you get non CCC story rewards or specific treasure ?

There's like 4 months between now and those awful changes.

Mikal
2019-04-27, 10:41 AM
There's like 4 months between now and those awful changes.

Which gives you plenty of time to find a good campaign that isn’t AL?

solidork
2019-04-27, 11:32 AM
Make an EK 7/Tomelock 5 with Shillelagh. That's what I'm currently playing and I desperately want a Staff of Power.

Snowbluff
2019-04-27, 12:00 PM
Make an EK 7/Tomelock 5 with Shillelagh. That's what I'm currently playing and I desperately want a Staff of Power.

With Crossbow Master and point blank people with the eldritch blast? Could be an option.

However, hexblade is on the table for me so I can skip the Shillelagh cantrip.

sithlordnergal
2019-04-27, 12:49 PM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Make sure you snag Polearm Mastery if you plan to use the Staff as a primary melee weapon. Having the third bonus action attack is really nice at times.

Snowbluff
2019-04-27, 09:12 PM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Make sure you snag Polearm Mastery if you plan to use the Staff as a primary melee weapon. Having the third bonus action attack is really nice at times.

Yes. So is having an easier reaction attack. However, I'm considering sorcerer, so bonus action might be a little full, and I'm already thinking about warcaster and resilient. Hmm...

Plan is Sorlockadin. Get some hexblade, some paladin for defenses, and some sorcerer for spell points.