PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Desert Murader Races

Marywn
2019-04-27, 12:53 AM
I've been trying to find some decent races that fit the theme of a desert voyager, any recommendations?

zergling.exe
2019-04-27, 01:00 AM
The Varag in MM4 are basically a race of marauders.

DwarvenWarCorgi
2019-04-27, 01:10 AM
Jackal Lords from Fiend Folio, although probably not for a PC race if that's what you're looking for, just saw the player help tag.

One of the subspecies of Lizardfolk? I know Poison Dusk lizardfolk are a favorite of many forum goers.

Zaq
2019-04-27, 01:22 AM
Thri-kreen are the classic option.

Also asherati. Which in my group we play as being such jerkfaces that we pronounce the name a wee bit more colorfully, but it’s got a few of the key phonemes (a, s, h) in the same order.

Khedrac
2019-04-27, 02:20 AM
The Marruspawn (from Sandstorm) should also work for this.

Uncle Pine
2019-04-27, 05:53 AM
Seconding thri-kreen. I also have a soft spot for appropriately flavoured bedouin halflings (whether you have them ride dromedary camels, small dinosaurs, ashworms, or anything else).

the_david
2019-04-27, 07:14 AM
Gnolls? D&D tends to get Gnolls wrong, though. (At least from my perspective.)

Hyenas have an odd pecking order. The lowest female has a higher rank than the highest ranking male. Male cubs get exiled from the pack when they come of age. They'll have to find another pack or fend for themselves.

For some reason, both Yeenoghu and Gorellik are male. That's just stupid. Let's make Yeenoghu female, and Gorellik her slave. Slavery still fits well with the pecking order of the hyenas, but both are more lawful evil traits than they are chaotic evil. (Did I mention D&D got Gnolls wrong?)
Male Gnolls are exiled from their tribes when they are young. They try to find a new tribe to join, or they end up allying themselves with the more open minded races.

DrMotives
2019-04-27, 08:30 AM

Hyenas have an odd pecking order. The lowest female has a higher rank than the highest ranking male. Male cubs get exiled from the pack when they come of age. They'll have to find another pack or fend for themselves.

For some reason, both Yeenoghu and Gorellik are male. That's just stupid. Let's make Yeenoghu female, and Gorellik her slave. Slavery still fits well with the pecking order of the hyenas, but both are more lawful evil traits than they are chaotic evil. (Did I mention D&D got Gnolls wrong?)
Male Gnolls are exiled from their tribes when they are young. They try to find a new tribe to join, or they end up allying themselves with the more open minded races.

I like this. I do use gnolls a lot in my campaign as a DM, and I make them LE slavers as well. The FR book Unapproachable East has gnolls listed in their PC races section, it does mention female gnolls as being larger & more dominant over the smaller males, so that's something at least.

Marywn
2019-04-27, 11:03 AM
HUmans also seem like to a good choice too, though even if basic

Aniikinis
2019-04-29, 02:18 AM

While I agree completely that dnd got gnolls wrong, there is sort of a good reason for them to be male that was pointed out in a thread I was in awhile back. Yeenoghu is a demon prince and as such is a complete perversion of the natural order ("A male? In charge?!?!?! Don't make me laugh"), and Gorellik is native to the Abyss and Pandemonium but not only did he explicitly not create the gnolls his only claim to them is that he taught them to tame hyenas to help them hunt; ergo, he only taught them how to not do things for themeselves ("Such a typical male, wouldn't you say Shenzi?:smallamused:")

Maat Mons
2019-04-30, 03:53 PM
I'm partial to desert kobolds who worship Sobek, the Egyptian god of having a crocodile head.

ExLibrisMortis
2019-04-30, 04:56 PM
Any of the environmental races from Unearthed Arcana (desert dwarves, elves, gnomes, goblins, half-elves half-orcs, halflings, kobolds, and orcs). Especially desert orcs with the desert-dweller template from Dragon #306. Endurance as bonus feat plus create water 1/day (CL = HD) and +2 to Survival, all for LA +0.

Desert-dweller is, of course, equally good on gnolls or varags or anything else. Varags have Run and Spring Attack as bonus feats, and a 60' base speed. If that's not maurading, I don't know what is.