PDA

View Full Version : (5e) The City of Dreams - IC

Col.Straken
2019-04-27, 08:19 AM
You have all left your homes for your own personal reasons, this may be for riches, glory, or just because you are running from something. Eventually you end upon the Grey Lady, a reasonably sized trading ship heading to Val'Toth, one of the port towns on Saxony. You have all been at sea for a fair few months, living off rations and slightly stagnant water, spending your time gambling with the sailors, talking with each other and planning your futures. During this time you have become acquainted with other adventurers and travellers and formed a group of friendship you hope will continue in your new journey.

The Grey Lady finally docks in Val'Toth and as you descend the ramp the sound of early morning markets hits you along with the smell of salt and fish. the harbour front is lined with dishevelled buildings, rotting market stalls and beggars. Behind these you can make out the ramparts of the town proper walls, you have been dropped off in the paupers harbour just outside the town walls. As you walk along the harbour front you see many stalls being opened, mostly selling fish and fishing supplies, though a few have rust pitted weapons. Finally you reach a junction with a wide pathway heading to the town walls. As you turn the corner you are hit by a wall of noise coming from a group of 100 people. You look past them and see the town gates are closed and heavily guarded, the throng of people are shouting at the guards demanding to be let in. At first you assume they are beggars and lowlifes being blocked from entry but you can see there are some fine robed people within the group. A High Elf in brilliant purple and gold robes flanked by a Half Ork warrior stands out in the crowd as people jostle around them. Though you do spot the tell tale point of elf ears, the hulk of half orks and even a Dragonborn within the crowd. A bellowing voice shouts out into the crowd "Get back, the town is closed. There is no entry or exit. Move BACK!" and you can see a well built guard in half plate mail and a tower shield pushes a human that got too close back with force.

You have headed to Val'toth with Theldar though he quickly bid you farewell as he turned to the sailors to remove her merchandise from the Grey Lady. You say your thanks and promise to remain in touch, promising to return the favour for saving your life one day.

You are at a complete loss and know no-one within this town, nor where to start looking for the right people. You decide to stick close to the group of new acquaintances until you feel like the time is right to move on.

You are not entirely sure how you ended up here. It was mostly likely in one of your dazed moments where you felt there was some sort of link to Demeter within the region though you have no knowledge of historic rumours of the island.

You have come for a new start, taking note of the other exile within your group you have decided that you may be able to help each other. What a shame the town is closed and your new start is already looking to be a bigger challenge than first assumed.

Ah, it almost feels like home as you dock, you lead your new group of friends through the harbour front to the main gates eager to meet up with Laura. Confused you stare at the gates for a moment, they have never been closed before. You know the paupers docks well and note that the local tavern the "Silver Fish" on the corner of the main road is still open and filled to the brim with travellers and merchants. You smile knowing that Orgin the Half Ork that runs the tavern is clearly loving the extra money the chaos is causing.

Grimlocked
2019-04-27, 11:27 PM
That was quite some trance... is all Godo Godoro can think as he looks around.

Godo blinks silently as he stares into the crowd. He feels a knot form and tighten in his stomach causing him to feel flushed with nausea. He tries to avoid eye contact from the rest of his newfound party mates, as he can feel the color fade from his face. He casually takes a step behind Ayris, eager to hide from view.

samduke
2019-04-28, 05:16 AM
walking off the ship, looking around, both seeing and hearing the crowd and guard actions. Well then.. and starts marching towards the guards catching an eyeful of Godo sticking close behind. pushing past or walking around the people to the edge where the guard are at right up to the shields. You sir, I and my friends fresh from the boat, wish to enter the city go and fetch your master so that we may get this over with, without blood spilt this day.

WhismurWanders
2019-04-28, 06:08 AM
Abigail's lips thin into a grimace as Ayris walks up to brazenly challenge the guards. She nudges whichever of her newfound companions is closest with one elbow while her other hand strays to one of the swords on her hip. "Well, yer friend's either brave, foolish, or both. Once we get her back in pieces from the guards, anyone up for a drink at the tavern over there?" She jerks her chin towards the Silver Fish and the noisy crowd inside and in front of the tavern. "I'm sure we'll have more luck finding out news there than playing chicken and 'commander-may-I' with the locals."

LostLight
2019-04-28, 06:46 AM
Masagi looked around, overwhelmed by the amount of people. So many new things he saw in his travel- the sea, strange people and now, this. Barely having any knowledge about what is going on and without Theldar to guide him, he remained as close as possible to those people he met on the ship, letting those who knew what they were doing to take the lead. "Please let it be over soon.." he mumbled to himself.

spinningdice
2019-04-28, 07:54 PM
Laris would have preferred a little quieter entrance, she's not here to draw attention to herself... still she steps up beside Ayris. "My friend means to say, we are tired from the boat journey and seek leave to enter your city and find suitable accommodations.", she smiles charmingly at the guards, though remains ready to step back should they decide to try and push her away.

Col.Straken
2019-04-29, 06:34 AM
The guard looks down at Ayris with a deep scowl, "The Captain has enough to deal with without stuck up squats taking up his time. The town is closed, no-one in or out." He begins to turn away when Laris pipes up and he turns back and sighs. "I get you are tired, but like I said, no-one in or out, if you want somewhere to stay ask at the Silver Fish. Now move along." He says nodding his head back down towards the water and the tavern on the corner.

You can see that the guard is exhausted and just wants everyone to move off so they can take a break. A few people try to push past the other guards and are quickly shoved back by towering shields, no weapons have been drawn yet but it does feel like it is just a matter of time.

If you wish to press the point, or ask any further questions it will need a Persuasion check

LostLight
2019-04-29, 07:03 AM
Taking a big breath, Masagi stepped forward and stood next to Laris. "could you at least tell us for how long the city is expected to be closed?" he asked "we have traveled far, and our resources are limited, after all"

rolling persuasion *fingers crossed!*

[roll0]

WhismurWanders
2019-04-29, 07:11 AM
Abigail shimmies her way through knees and shins to keep up with the rest of the group before piping up. "Aye, the man's the right of it. Can't expect people to stand around twiddlin' their thumbs when they've no idea when they can get on with their livelihoods."

samduke
2019-04-29, 10:28 AM
Ayris knowing better than to press the issue waits with her friends for answers to their questions while looking at the gate and wall surround trying to assess if it was possible to get in the city another location or even covertly.
(perception [roll0] insight [roll1] investigation [roll2])

Col.Straken
2019-04-29, 01:04 PM
The guard has grown tired of the groups questions before Masagi can finish and stares blankly at the ever growing crowd.

It is at this point however that a tall well dressed human near the front leans into the group "I wouldn't bother, been trying to enter for hours they aren't moving. I heard that the governor has gone missing and the entire town has gone onto lockdown. They think he is still in there, and so is anyone connected to the disappearance."

You can tell from your time around forts and lordly manors that there is no way to enter via the main gate or wall without being seen. The gates are large enough for two carts to pass with space around them and the solid wood is studded with iron. Four guards stand in front of the gates though there are more on the walls. From where you are stood at the moment the town looks impregnable without siege equipment.

LostLight
2019-04-29, 04:56 PM
Masagi recoiled from the stranger, and then shrugged. "In that case, I assume the city won't stay locked for too long" he said to his companions, examining the face of the guard is response to the gentleman's words "either they'll find the governor, or they'll discover they are out of reach. Either way, it won't take more than a few days- so we should listen to Abigail and get rooms before the tavern will be full"

OOC- Insight check the guard

[roll0]

spinningdice
2019-04-30, 04:00 AM
Laris understands Masagi's ploy and pays close heed to the guard for any reaction, though regardless she sighs and steps away from the harried guard, "I suppose finding space to make camp on the ground for a few days is only marginally worse than the passage on that ship - I barely know any of you, but I feel safety in numbers may protect us from the vultures that doubtless inhabit grounds like this. Shall we continue our association for now?"

Wisdom [roll0]

Col.Straken
2019-04-30, 04:46 AM
The guard fails to react in any way, he has clearly been awake for a number of hours and as it is still fairly early in the day his shift must have started in the early hours of the morning.

Heading back to the rest of the group near the entrance of the Silver Fish, you notice that the human that had given you the information has followed you back. "I don't mean to intrude, but it looks like we are stuck out here for the time being, how about we go get a drink." he nods over to the Silver Fish, "Oh, my name is Kyre. Nice to meet you." He holds out his hand waiting for somebody to shake it.

There isn't much to see with the guard, he looks exhausted, he isn't really paying attention to what the crowd is saying as a whole, just that they don't get past him. Whatever has happened has happened recently and the guards have been mobilised at the last minute. There is no shocked reaction or even trying to hide the information, he just wants to finish his shift and head off home.

Sorry for NPCing you, but feel free to take over from here. You arrived in the port around 4am and even then the gates had been closed, it is now 10am and you have been waiting around in the hopes of being let in, fed up you now decide to hang around these well armed newcomers, even if it is just for someone to talk to.

spinningdice
2019-04-30, 10:29 AM
Laris evaluates the newcomer and with a slight shrug extends her arm to his "Well a drink sounds like a good idea right now. Maybe somebody there knows something more."

samduke
2019-04-30, 05:14 PM
well then lets go find us a tall drink and get things settled for the time

Deadlykire
2019-04-30, 06:54 PM
Kyre gives Laris a weak handshake, turns and heads towards the Silver Fish. He scratches his unkempt hair absent mindedly, tangling it even more. There is a low hoot, and an owl flutters down to rest on his shoulder. He extends a finger on which the bird can perch, and it does so. The owl is tiny, small enough to fit in the palm of his hands. He whispers slightly, lifts his hand, and the owl flutters off into the distance.

Grimlocked
2019-05-01, 01:07 AM
Godo watches as Laris goes for the handshake. Still hiding behind Ayris, Godo leans in and whispers in the Dwarf's ear.

Perhaps... uh... we should try to learn more of this Kyre. I... I think he has some odd interest with us.

WhismurWanders
2019-05-01, 04:41 AM
With more and more voices adding to the idea to get a drink, Abigail begins the process of weaving through the gathered crowd, eager to get away from the guards and the powderkeg that was the citizens attempting to get past them. "You guys'll love this place. Orgin's a real hoot, and he doesn't charge too much for his drinks or rooms."

Col.Straken
2019-05-01, 06:32 AM
As you all enter the Silver Fish you can see the inside is heaving, there are people stood around tables where there aren't enough seats. There is absolutely no segregation of wealth, race, gender or cleanliness. That is except for a small human sat in one of the corners, he seems to be being left alone for the most part, clutching at his drink and his left hand scratching at his nose occasionally.

Suddenly you hear a booming voice "Gail! glad to see you back again, dreadful business with the town. But, the Silver Fish has never been busier!" Orgin ushers you over towards a small gap near the bar with a smile stretching from ear to ear, his tusks contorting it into a slightly scary grimace. "What can we get you and your friends, on the house." at this point you hear some voices pipe up from near the bar "What about us, do we get free drinks?" and Orgin quickly waves them off "Sod off, you owe me for last nights room still! Sorry about that, so what brings you lot to Val'Toth?" he asks as he starts to pour the drinks you each request, sliding them over one by one.

LostLight
2019-05-01, 08:21 AM
"Just water for me, thank you" Masagi said. The Veiled Tribes are known for their aversion for alcohol, and even though he was no longer obliged to follow those rules as a scapegoat, old habits die hard. Besides, he wanted to stay sober in such a situation, keeping an eye for anything weird. Like that lone human in the corner.

OOC-Insight check
[roll0]

WhismurWanders
2019-05-01, 08:51 AM
Abigail beams at the sound of her old acquaintance and the invitation for free drinks. "Glad to see the old fish didn't go belly up while I was at sea! Got any more of that cider you used to serve up? That'll hit the spot perfect." She takes a quick nip from her drink when she receives it before answering the question. "Takin' a break from spending every night on a cooped up ship getting tossed around like a sack of hay at a farmer's market. Thought I'd check in on some old friends."

Deadlykire
2019-05-01, 09:41 AM
While arriving to the tavern first, Kyre follows behind the group as they enter. He shifts uneasily as they make their way to the bar. He looks at the floor and glances up with just his eyes as he mutters, "A..a cider would..would be good? If I can. You know, if it isn't too much trouble." His face reddens slightly.

samduke
2019-05-01, 10:32 AM
muscling her way to a seat at the bar, well then the drink, a pint of your strongest dwarven stout you have, some salted pork abit of cheese some bread and then a room.. dropping 2 gold into the barkeeps hand

Col.Straken
2019-05-01, 05:58 PM
Orgin nods and passes out the drinks as people ask for them. When Ayris drops the gold onto the bar he looks back a little taken aback by her bluntness, "Err, I can get you some fish and bread, a room might be a little trickier. "

He scratches his balding head as he think how he can accommodate the group without backing on his previous customers. Deciding to just change the subject for now he turns to Abigail, "Bad business in the town, think you chose to wrong time to turn up this time."

You scrutinise the man for a while and as you try to figure out why he is on his own an Elf and Orc approach, they appear to talk for a while before leaving promptly together.

Make a perception check please

LostLight
2019-05-02, 05:25 AM
Masagi leans over, trying to hear the conversation above the noise and examine the situation.

OOC-Perception
[roll0]

Deadlykire
2019-05-02, 06:47 AM
Kyre hesitantly reaches out for his drink. His hand shakes a little as he takes it. He takes a tiny sip, looking over the edge of the glass trying to see how others are drinking theirs.

Can I ask for a description of the taste or should I event my own?
[roll0] Whatever needed roll to gather how to drink the cider
[roll1] Trying to figure out after he takes a sip what possible effects it could have (and how it is made, or I can roll separate for that)

Grimlocked
2019-05-02, 11:29 AM
Entering the tavern, Godo feels his stomach shrivel inside him. He watches his companions make their way into the crowded room, but Godo hesitates and gets left behind. Godo looks for a quiet corner and quietly steps to it, head looking down.

spinningdice
2019-05-02, 05:50 PM
Laris' eyes flick around the room, she seems ill at ease in the crowd. She almost visibly forces herself to relax when the barkeep speaks, "You are most kind, wine, red if you can spare it. If not I'll make do with the cider."

After taking a delicate sip of her drink she slips over to join Godo in the corner.

Col.Straken
2019-05-03, 06:44 AM
As you all take your drinks, which Orgin surprisingly has each of your first request though he did look at Masagi oddly as he takes the water. A half-orc female brings over some bread and fish for Ayris apologising that it was all they had food wise.

You all notice the small man lead the Orc and Elf that approached him from the tavern.

You manage to get a good chunk of the conversation, even over the bustle of the crowds. You determine that they did not know each other previously and have been guided to him as someone that would be able to get them into the town proper. You also saw a large bag of coins being handed over from the elf to the small human.

As they leave you then hear the human tell the pair that he "will make sure they get what they paid for."

The cider is sweet tasting and it makes you feel warm, you can't determine any possible side effects except that it is refreshingly cold and enjoyable to drink.

LostLight
2019-05-03, 07:43 AM
Seeing the transaction in action, Masagi leans toward Abigail and Ayris and says "It seems that the city is as not locked down as we thought- as there at least one person who thinks he knows how to get in" he nods toward the human as he left the tavern with his clients "I'm not sure how trustworthy he is, though, and if we have a reason in force our way into the city. I personally can wait" he turn to Abigail "Perhaps you should ask the owner what he knows about the individual?"

samduke
2019-05-04, 07:25 AM
Ayris, nodding an acknowledgement of Masagi's conversation, thanks the woman for the food and begins eating her meal and enjoying the dwarven stout.

Grimlocked
2019-05-06, 11:29 PM
Godo smiles from his darkened perch, hidden in the shadows of the tavern. It is not a happy smile though, but one filled with nerves. He grabs a piece of bread and takes a good bite, desperate to calm his nerves. The piece of bread gets lodged in his throat though, and Godo begins choking on the bread. He can't call out, but he grips the table with a white-knuckled grip as he struggles for air.

In moments, Godo faceplants on the table.

WhismurWanders
2019-05-08, 06:17 AM
He turns to Abigail "Perhaps you should ask the owner what he knows about the individual?"

The halfling raises an eyebrow at the proposition, her mug currently raised as she was in the middle of a long swig of the alcohol while the question was posed. She sets the mug down and wipes some excess liquid from her upper lip with her sleeve, nodding as she thought about how to ask without seeming nosey.

"Orgin," she says while raising her voice trying toget his attention. When he does get a free moment, she leans in conspiratorially and drops her voice, "Don't suppose you've been entertaining some ... lawless types lately? A lass wants to make sure she's safe when on land, dontcha know?"

Her stomach felt sour when she heard herself talk like that, but she wasn't much of one for witily subtle conversation. Better than blurting out, "SO ABOUT THOSE SHADY GUYS OVER THERE", at least.

Col.Straken
2019-05-09, 07:48 AM
Orgin leans in to Abigail as she tried to whisper to him, which in the din of the tavern is almost a shout anyway. "Lawless types, ha lassie, nearly everybody in here has some sort of shady business going on. That's why we're here in the paupers docks." He sees that a few of the group had been eyeing up the small jumpy man as he left "But yea, I know that guy. He has been coming in for the last couple days. Sits around until someone turns up with a bag of gold and he takes them off not to be seen again. Err.... Skeet was his name, claims he can get people into the town. I reckon he is just taking them round the corner for a mugging but the guards don't care about that anymore."

WhismurWanders
2019-05-09, 09:23 AM
Abigail follows up with a few more questions; "How long do you reckon until he shows up again? Do the guards not care in general, or is it because they're spooked with whatever is going on in the city?"

Col.Straken
2019-05-10, 04:38 AM
Orgin shrugs "They used to care a little more, think they are all preoccupied by the happenings in the town proper. Not got time for us lowlifes" he says with a grin. "He usually disappears for half an hour or so."

The waitress wanders over to Godo and gives him a firm slap on the back, dislodging the bread stuck in his throat, "Be careful there love, dying is bad business."

samduke
2019-05-14, 01:44 AM
talking low keyed to her new friends after overhearing the conversation, well we should investigate that then maybe we can get into the city.

WhismurWanders
2019-05-14, 03:32 AM
Abigail smiles and makes sure to tip Orgin a silver coin. "For the help," she says at him, a playful grin on her face. She finishes her drink and relays her newly found information to the others while she waits for her next drink to arrive. "Sounds like we can just wait for him to come back here and then see what he's up to."

LostLight
2019-05-16, 05:03 PM
Masagi leaned backward in his chair and added "A trap is only such if one is not aware of it. If we were to ambush that Skeet, we could both do some service to the place, and in the case there is some truth in his claims of getting people to the city it may be of use to us." he scanned his companions "At any case, we need two things to turn this trap over its maker- a bait, and someone to follow from behind." he looked at the coughing Godo "Any takers?"

samduke
2019-05-17, 05:58 AM
turning to Masagi I'll be bait I guess, if he he gets feisty well I can handle myself, while you lot close in

Deadlykire
2019-05-17, 08:49 AM
"I'm not one for sneaking about, so perhaps I should hang back?" Kyre whispers over his glass.

Col.Straken
2019-05-17, 02:44 PM
Orgin nods to Abigail and returns her smile, "Just be careful, and try not to drop my name if you catch him. Every customer counts."

Let me know what your plan is and I will let you know what you need to roll and how it goes down.

Col.Straken
2019-05-23, 03:21 AM
The group begins to discuss their plans in more detail, there is no concern about people overhearing despite the large crowd. The other patrons of the tavern are far too engrossed in their own problems and conversations.

After about an hour Skeet finally returns on his own the pouch of coins nowhere to be seen on his person though he quickly puts down a couple of gold on the bar asking for the same again. Orgin obliges and hands over two large ales gladly taking the coins. Skeet then returns to his previous seat which had been left vacant despite the crowds and he begins to sip on one of his drinks, waiting for his next customer.

The group nod to each other, their plan decided and begin to set the wheels in motion. Getting into the town proper made sense, supplies were running low everywhere, there was no way onto the mainland without going through the town, and none of the ships within the harbour had provisions enough to set sail, it was unlikely many more would come to town as the news travels of the lockdown.

samduke
2019-05-23, 05:34 AM
bolding walking over to skeet, Greetings I understand your the person to talk to about getting folk into the city - pulling a small bag of coin from her pouch, hefting it slightly to rattle the coins - Well that bully of a guard out there wont let me in and I need in. So are you the one I see?