PDA

View Full Version : speak wth animals items

haplot
2019-04-27, 08:41 AM
apart from scrolls, wands and potions, is there an item already genned up that casts speak with animals either at will or x times per day?

If so, where can they be found?

If not, im assuming i use guidelines from the DMG to create it?

The Eternal DM
2019-04-27, 10:06 AM
apart from scrolls, wands and potions, is there an item already genned up that casts speak with animals either at will or x times per day?

If so, where can they be found?

If not, im assuming i use guidelines from the DMG to create it?

The ring of animal friendship casts charm animal, a level one spell, at will. It costs 10,800 and it would make sense that a ring of speak with animals would have the same requirements to craft and cost the same.

Palanan
2019-04-27, 12:12 PM
When I started up my current campaign, I gave the party's ranger an amulet that allows him to speak with animals for a minute per day. It's a minor thematic benefit, and it's led to some truly hilarious roleplaying.

haplot
2019-04-27, 12:59 PM
Many thanks

Much appreciated

Bronk
2019-04-27, 04:33 PM
The only one I’ve ever found was the Acorn of Acuity from Dragon 326.

Hiro Quester
2019-04-27, 10:26 PM
My Druid created a custom magic item, a hat of speak with animals 3/day. It was useful for communicating orders to summoned nature’s allies, and the DM ruled it could be used by an ally to communicate with me in wild shape.

The head slot is intended for items that deal with communication. And the neck slot has too many other necessary uses.

Malphegor
2019-04-29, 03:56 AM
I vaguely remember there was a panther mask in either a web supplement or the MIC which would give you at-will speak with animals and the run feat... Just most animals might be terrified of you since you look like a deadly predatory man-panther. Manther.

Hiro Quester
2019-04-29, 09:44 PM
I vaguely remember there was a panther mask in either a web supplement or the MIC which would give you at-will speak with animals and the run feat... Just most animals might be terrified of you since you look like a deadly predatory man-panther. Manther.

Mask of the Panther (MIC p. 201) grants Run, but no speak with animals.

Thurbane
2019-04-29, 10:11 PM

Mask of the Panther (MIC p. 201) grants Run, but no speak with animals.

Malphegor may have been thinking of the Jaguar Mask (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041231a), which does indeed grant speak with animals (felines only) at will.

Found some other limited options, most of which have other abilities as well:

Acid Fang Dagger (A&EG p.98) speak with animals (reptiles only)
Belt of Lions (MoF p.154) speak with animals (felines only)
Dragonmark Rod of Handling (MoE p.113) speak with animals SLA - must have the relevant Dragonmark to use
Phoenix Helm (MIC p.118) speak with animals 1/day (birds only)
Trident of Fish Command (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#tridentofFishCommand) speak with animals on the aquatic animals you have charmed

Also, aside from scrolls, eands and potions, there are also:

Eternal Wand (Bard 3, or Dark Hunter (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030315a) 2) (MIC p.159)
Minor Schema (MoE p.122)