PDA

View Full Version : M&M 3e power concept help

Kazuel
2019-04-27, 02:56 PM
I’m trying to figure out how to emulate a power from The Stormlight Archives series. I guess minor spoilers from the series for those that haven’t read it. Also great series if you haven’t read it.

I’m talking about the Windrunner’s ability to “lash” themselves and others in different directions. If you haven’t read the series, this allowed them to change the direction and intensity that gravity effected themselves or others. I’m not sure what game effect having your gravity oriented on the wall or ceiling would have on combat but I’m interested in trying to make a hero around that concept. Thanks and hoping my ramblings were coherent.

Beleriphon
2019-04-27, 03:12 PM
I’m trying to figure out how to emulate a power from The Stormlight Archives series. I guess minor spoilers from the series for those that haven’t read it. Also great series if you haven’t read it.

I’m talking about the Windrunner’s ability to “lash” themselves and others in different directions. If you haven’t read the series, this allowed them to change the direction and intensity that gravity effected themselves or others. I’m not sure what game effect having your gravity oriented on the wall or ceiling would have on combat but I’m interested in trying to make a hero around that concept. Thanks and hoping my ramblings were coherent.

M&M is an effects based system. So what do you want to do, what can this ability do? For example if we orient gravity "up" can I fly? If so how fast? Can I make somebody stop moving and freezing place? Can I make somebody stick to a wall, effectively hurling them away from myself? Because this sounds like a series of potential arrays of powers that all have the same source, but different end results.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-04-27, 04:37 PM
Lashing someone else in a direction is probably best done as Perception Move Object, Limited (straight lines). You could do some sort of Affliction to represent being pinned by sheer gravitational weight, but I don't remember that coming up often in the series.
Lashing yourself in a different direction could be Leaping, but if you're as good at it as Kaladin, straight-up Flight is probably better. Movement (Wall Crawling) would also be appropriate.
Kaladin likes to use lashings to throw himself at an enemy harder; Enhanced Strength, Limited to Damage, Quirk: Must move at least 5ft before hitting models that pretty well.
A half-lashing to reduce your mass would be a combination of a couple of effects-- Leaping, Feature (Very Light), maybe some Movement (Safe Fall, Sure Footed)