PDA

View Full Version : No Healer

PlatinumJester
2007-10-03, 01:10 PM
Ok our party had absolutely no (proper) healer and we freqently find ourselves nearing negative HP.

So what can we do to "improvise"? I know someone already posted a guide to this kind of thing recently (Fax Celestis I think). So far we have 1 level 4 ranger, 1 level 1 ranger and a soon to be level 1 bard.

2007-10-03, 01:15 PM
Wands of cure light and healing pots?

Tactical fighting?

SpikeFightwicky
From my experience, the Bard can make an ok backup healer. Also, all of you can use Wands of Cure X wounds, so those can definately help out. Other than that, using terrain to your advantage to stay out of melee for as long as possible should also help (fire from the trees!). That's all I can think of off-hand at the moment.

I know you don't have any, but I played a Crusader in a healer-less party, and it actually worked out alright. I was able to heal while I damaged, and we never dropped to negative HPs.

ocato
First off, your party is very odd in level balance. Secondly, Rangers get divine spells I believe(and access to heal wand usage) and Bards also cast heals and use healing wands. So this sounds like a case of needing to work on your tactics until you get some healing.

goat
2007-10-03, 01:18 PM
Wands for everybody!

horseboy
2007-10-03, 01:19 PM
I think 1wing4ngel did a thing about heal belts or something.

hippie_dwarf
2007-10-03, 01:26 PM
The odd levels is becuase loads of us (not me) are playing races with level ajustments. The bard is a quoa-toa so he has ot take 5 monster levels or something so he only gets his ifrts level in bard when we're all level 6 (or equivalent of).

Rockphed
2007-10-03, 01:27 PM
Biggest thing to do is avoid getting into melee. That is the best way to never need healing.

Next, get a couple wands of Cure Light Wounds. They only cost 750, though if you are in a very low magic setting, they might cost more. A WoCLW is the cheapest HP generating item that you can use. A bard can use one even if he does not have CLW known.

Then go looking for the thread on healers.

Dr. Weasel
2007-10-03, 01:39 PM
A WoCLW is the cheapest HP generating item that you can use.
Lesser Vigor wands actually are slightly cheaper, but CLW is definitely one of your riends.

So what can we do to "improvise"? I know someone already posted a guide to this kind of thing recently (Fax Celestis I think).
That was OneWinged4ngel. Look it up, it's a pretty good summary of your options.

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55951) it is.

Telonius
2007-10-03, 01:50 PM
Lesser Vigor is a better choice for after-battle healing. You get 11 hp back per wand casting. For in-combat healing, a Healing Belt (Magic Item Compendium) is good for emergency healing.

Both of those cost 750gp, though, and at level 1 that's in short supply. You could always get a half-full wand at discount. My only other advice would be to have a lot of downtime, and have somebody put ranks in Heal. A successful check gets you back double hitpoints when you sleep.

CrazedGoblin
2007-10-03, 01:53 PM
The odd levels is becuase loads of us (not me) are playing races with level ajustments. The bard is a quoa-toa so he has ot take 5 monster levels or something so he only gets his ifrts level in bard when we're all level 6 (or equivalent of).

i get to throw spears and have cool eyes :smalltongue:

Dullyanna
2007-10-03, 02:19 PM
I'm... pretty sure PC's don't have to take racial HD or "monster class levels". Those are just for bags of xp... Actually, I'm not so sure now. I'd talk to your DM about letting you retrain those for class levels. That way you can throw spears, have cool eyes, and sing a little tune or whatever.

Ulzgoroth
2007-10-03, 02:22 PM
You most definitely do have to take racial hit dice. Allowing them to be traded in for class levels would add enormously to the power of monstrous PCs. Especially if combined with LA buyoff.

'Monster class levels' are a hack to let you play a monster with an ECL above your party level by stringing the benefits (and hit dice) out over a progression.

Dullyanna
2007-10-03, 02:27 PM
No singing for you then... Anyway, I'd say go with guerilla tactics, if you're patient enough. That way, you save money and don't run the risk of dying so much. And don't count on healing spells, considering your spell progression is really stunted thanks to LA.

kemmotar
2007-10-03, 02:30 PM
In fact if the book gives a monster class instead of LA then the PC HAS to get all the monster class levels before being able to multiclass...

On the healing matter, you can all get CLW wands and belt of retributive healing(magic items compendium)...Now 1/day when you heal you get healed too!Now look at the camera and smile!!You no longer need to make that choice, heal myself or heal the dying fighter:smallbiggrin:

Get some ranks in UMD if necessary but wands are the best way to go short of leadership and a cohort cleric for the bard(high cha modifier)...The lot of you could get leadership anyway and get your personal heal/buff bot:smallbiggrin:

OneWinged4ngel
2007-10-03, 04:34 PM
At low level, you'll want to get your hands on scrolls and wands of Cure Light Wounds for your bard. They're dirt cheap, and unlike Lesser Vigor you don't need to rely on UMD at all to use them for either your Ranger or Bard, and it should easily be able to fill up everyone's hp to full between fights.

Also, look at Healing Belts (in the MiC) or Eternal Wands of Cure Light Wounds (ECS and MiC) for more healing efficiency, and Blessed Bandages (also MiC: at low levels, these things can save lives.)

Both the Ranger and Bard can use wands of Cure Light Wounds with no chance of failure, so you should be perfectly fine. Just remember that you *don't* need to heal during battle. Really. You don't. Even clerics don't do it that often, when played rather optimally.

Fight tactically and eliminate or disable the enemy fast so they can't do much damage. This can actually be a lot more efficient (and actually, safer) than relying on a stream of healing. Additionally, look into DEFENSIVE ABILITIES. Mirror Image can deflect a lot more damage than Cure Medium Wounds. So can a high AC. So can good saves. So can things like Shield Other.

Oh, and by the way... ECL *sucks.* My advice? Burn it and stomp on the ashes, then houserule up something that doesn't hose every player wanting to play something a little unusual *so hard* that they can't contribute to a party in any remotely level appropriate way.