PDA

View Full Version : Simulacrum succubus and effects of dismissal/banishment

redking
2019-04-28, 05:37 AM
What happens to a simulacrum of a succubus if it is hit by a dismissal or banishment spell?

Eldariel
2019-04-28, 07:06 AM
What happens to a simulacrum of a succubus if it is hit by a dismissal or banishment spell?

Well, let's see the spells:
Dismissal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dismissal.htm) - it forces an extraplanar creature to its proper plane.
Simulacrum (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/simulacrum.htm) - of note here is that it's basically an exact replica far as things like type go.

There's no RAW answer to this topic and it hinges on what the "proper plane" of a Simulacrum is. The only real answer provided by either effect is "As the original creature" so a Simulacrum of a Succubus would be sent back to the Abyss. However, one could also argue that the proper plane would be the plane of creation for the Simulacrum (as it's not a game-defined feature and thus doesn't necessarily get copied after all), in which case it would get sent back if it were on a plane other than its plane of origin (and the spell wouldn't work if it were on its plane of origin). Note, Outsiders are not always extraplanar either. You can't banish a Succubus in the Abyss for instance; it's not Extraplanar on its home plane.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-04-28, 09:18 AM
If it was created on the material plane, it should be considered native to the material plane. Thus it does not have the extraplanar subtype while on the material plane and cannot be dismissed or banished while on that plane. If it's dismissed or banished from a plane it's not native to, it should be returned to the material plane.

The extraplanar subtype is not inherited, it's applied only when a creature is outside its native plane. If you copy a succubus with a simulacrum spell, the succubus you copy will not have the exraplanar subtype while in the Abyss, it will only have that subtype when it leaves its native plane. Thus the simulacrum will share this trait, it will not have the exraplanar subtype while on its plane of origin, but it will have it when on any other plane.

Eldariel
2019-04-28, 10:07 AM
If it was created on the material plane, it should be considered native to the material plane. Thus it does not have the extraplanar subtype while on the material plane and cannot be dismissed or banished while on that plane. If it's dismissed or banished from a plane it's not native to, it should be returned to the material plane.

The extraplanar subtype is not inherited, it's applied only when a creature is outside its native plane. If you copy a succubus with a simulacrum spell, the succubus you copy will not have the exraplanar subtype while in the Abyss, it will only have that subtype when it leaves its native plane. Thus the simulacrum will share this trait, it will not have the exraplanar subtype while on its plane of origin, but it will have it when on any other plane.

But how do you rule that the plane of origin is not a copied characteristic? Simulacrum is inclusive, not exclusive: it doesn't list the traits that are copied, just that everything is copied except HD is halved and everything derived from that as well. Thus the default should be that the plane of origin should be copied as well.

Jack_Simth
2019-04-28, 12:07 PM

Poorly defined (a lot of things in D&D are, and Simulacrum especially), so ask the DM.

Basically, Simulacrum calls it a duplicate creature, gives some limitations and drawbacks, and is a bit vague. Things like type, subtype, and home plane are not specifically addressed.

redking
2019-04-29, 12:30 AM
Poorly defined (a lot of things in D&D are, and Simulacrum especially), so ask the DM.

I'm the DM. And I am struggling with this question.

Jack_Simth
2019-04-29, 05:50 AM

Then you pick something that makes sense for the campaign, remember that choice, and move on.

Eldariel
2019-04-29, 06:59 AM

Either is reasonable. Make your choice based on your preference. Simulacrum is one of those spells that lacks a lot of details and so it's up to the DM to patch things (such as this) up as necessary. I'd say the ruling that it gets sent to the Abyss has slightly more RAW support but ultimately it's kinda 50.000000000000000000000001 %/49.999999999999999999999999 % sort of deal.

Hunter Noventa
2019-04-29, 10:03 AM
I would agree that the simulacrum gets sent back to the plane the spell was cast on.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2019-04-29, 10:26 AM
RAW isn't ironclad, but I think the preponderance of evidence is that a Sim is native to the plane of its creation. Being native to X means you were born/created in X. It doesn't make sense to copy the trait "you were created in the Abyss" and give it to something which is being created in not-the-Abyss. It's possible that Sims are treated as being created on the base creature's home plane (hence no ironclad RAW), but like most things Sim-related, there is no actual language to that effect.