PDA

View Full Version : Managing Weight of People and Objects

Brutter
2019-04-28, 06:31 AM
Like most players, I don't usually pay much attention to how much people and objects weigh, usually carrying capacity doesn't come into play unless I have low STR or am trying to move something particularly heavy. However, sometimes the exact weight is pretty relevant. For reasons that aren't worth going into, I would like to make it so that a human, with heavy armor, weighs less than 190 lbs, ideally even if said human has more equipment like a weapon or shield. The lower the better.

My first instinct was that an adult human male would weigh at least 170 lbs alone, but then I checked the weight table in the SRD and it said 120 lbs "x(2d4)lb". Which makes it sound like they think an adult human male weighs either 125 or 600 lbs. I don't think either of them are what the SRD was going for.

Once I sort that out, though, I'm probably still going to need some weight reduction, but I just can't find anything out there, like an Amulet of Featherweight that halves your starting weight, or special Lightweight armor that weighs half of what it would before. In Pathfinder there's apparently a spell that reduces the weight of any object, but I can't find a version for 3.5. Can anyone help me out?

zlefin
2019-04-28, 06:51 AM
"The dice roll given in the Height Modifier column determines the character’s extra height beyond the base height. That same number multiplied by the dice roll or quantity given in the Weight Modifier column determines the character’s extra weight beyond the base weight. "

I don't have anything else to help with lightening further though.

ShurikVch
2019-04-28, 10:25 AM
My first instinct was that an adult human male would weigh at least 170 lbs alone, but then I checked the weight table in the SRD and it said 120 lbs "x(2d4)lb". Which makes it sound like they think an adult human male weighs either 125 or 600 lbs. I don't think either of them are what the SRD was going for.Random Height and Weight calculation may be rather confusing, so no wonder you don't get it at first!

By my calculations, 6'6" tall Male Human should weigh from 140 to 200 lbs.

I would like to make it so that a human, with heavy armor, weighs less than 190 lbs, ideally even if said human has more equipment like a weapon or shield. The lower the better.Well, there are Slender [racial] 1st-level feat (Dragon #324), which decrease the weight by 10% (and gives +1 racial on Disable Device, Escape Artist, Move Silently, and Tumble checks);
Lightweight flaw (Dragon #328) which halves the base weight (i. e. for Human it's 60 lbs instead 120, and our 6'6" example will weigh from 80 to 140 lbs), gives -4 on size related checks, and removes attack bonus from charging;
and Deformity (gaunt) [vile] feat in the Book of Vile Darkness which halves the weight, gives +2 Dex/-2 Con, and +2 circumstance on Escape Artist and Intimidate checks

Thus, if example 6'6" Male Human with 200 lbs. weight will take all three, he will be reduced to 63 lbs.; in "standard" Full Plate and with a Tower Shield - 158 lbs.
(And if our example Male Human is 5' tall, and weighs 122 lbs., he would be reduced to 28 lbs.; in "standard" Full Plate and with a Tower Shield - 123 lbs.)

EDIT:
And for weight of objects - Blueice (Frostburn), Bluewood (Unapproachable East), Bronzewood (Arms and Equipment Guide), Darkwood (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#darkwood), and Mithral (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#mithral) are all reducing the weight
Also, Feycraft and Lightweight templates are reducing the weight too