PDA

View Full Version : At a crossroad

ZorroGames
2019-04-28, 10:50 AM
Time to fish or cut bait. First Tuesday in May my shiny new 5th level Ranger must decide if she multi-classes to Rogue or Cleric.

She could go either way. Being Chultan she is fascinated by the choices of gods in Faerûn. She is leaning Tymora but Gond fits with her family background.

If she go Rogue Assassin she will be writing off formal religion. “Different flavors of that faithless/thoughtless Ubtao!”

Your thoughts? Want more background?

Seclora
2019-04-28, 11:03 AM
What kind of ranger?

I would think Cleric would be a better multiclass, more synergy over all, but if you play very ranged, then Rogue might be better. It depends on how you play the character.

Unoriginal
2019-04-28, 12:22 PM
Like I often say, you're not a Cleric because you believe in a god, you're a Cleric because a god believes in you.

Is there a reason for Gond or Tymora to want to invest their might into this Ranger?

ZorroGames
2019-04-28, 03:56 PM
Like I often say, you're not a Cleric because you believe in a god, you're a Cleric because a god believes in you.

Is there a reason for Gond or Tymora to want to invest their might into this Ranger?

Seems all Clerics are NPCs.

To introduce an NPC from Teen Titans - “Banish Control Freak!”

🤣

Keravath
2019-04-28, 11:17 PM
Which ranger archetype?

I have a variant human gloomstalker ranger who started with resilient con. They have one level of life cleric and will be going to ranger 7 for the wisdom save before heading to 7/13 ranger/cleric. It is based on a character I have played in D&D and computer role playing games for years :). They also have the sharpshooter feat and use a bow. Healing can be a bit over the top with both goodberry and healing spirit combined with life cleric and all the usual cleric healing abilities.

Anyway, another popular choice is the gloomstalker/assassin. They get an extra attack on the first round and when you DO get a surprise round they are pretty over the top at least for the first round.

ZorroGames
2019-04-29, 08:58 PM
Which ranger archetype?

I have a variant human gloomstalker ranger who started with resilient con. They have one level of life cleric and will be going to ranger 7 for the wisdom save before heading to 7/13 ranger/cleric. It is based on a character I have played in D&D and computer role playing games for years :). They also have the sharpshooter feat and use a bow. Healing can be a bit over the top with both goodberry and healing spirit combined with life cleric and all the usual cleric healing abilities.

Anyway, another popular choice is the gloomstalker/assassin. They get an extra attack on the first round and when you DO get a surprise round they are pretty over the top at least for the first round.

Gloomstalker.
ST 10, DE 18, CO 14, IN 8, WI16, CH 8.

FS Archery
+1 Longbow (Yea Fai Chen! Or whatever his name is...)
Cloak of Elvenkind
Mundane Rapier and Shortsword

Spells
Hunter’s Mark
Absorb Elements
Good berry *
Silence

* switching out since leveled up but not sure what to replace it with yet.

AL gaming returning to Chult adventures for Tiers 1 and 2 in May...

Favored enemy Undead
Favorite Terrain Jungle (AL DMs treating it as Forest outside of Chult)

Feat at Start SS. Exchanged Scale for Studded because of Dex boost.

Archaeologist. Wood Carver skills. Cartographer skills.

Originally Emerald Enclave until WOTC futzed things.

Happier in a dusty tomb than the center of civilization.

Great Discovery comes with grave danger

Want to find lost city of Hisari

Secret Fear - (well it is a mundane creature but it is a secret.)

Skills
Animal Handling
Insight
Nature
Perception
Stealth
Survival

“Melee is for the slow or inattentive”

There that should cover the relevant details.

Unoriginal
2019-04-29, 11:02 PM
Seems all Clerics are NPCs.

To introduce an NPC from Teen Titans - “Banish Control Freak!”

🤣

What.

Sorry, I don't get what you mean.

ZorroGames
2019-04-30, 06:45 AM
What.

Sorry, I don't get what you mean.

Your comment appears to remove player agency.

If the Player chooses to play a Cleric then the. Character is chosen by the god. D&D gods are fickle. They do not need a reason.

Crgaston
2019-04-30, 07:07 AM
Spells
Hunter’s Mark
Absorb Elements
Good berry *
Silence

* switching out since leveled up but not sure what to replace it with yet.

I'be gotten excellent mileage out of Spike Growth.

You can drop it around party members if they intend to hold their ground, as it only does damage if someone moves in it.

Works really well if team members have forced movement capabilities, i.e. Repelling Blast, Pushing Attack, Open Hand Monk, Thunderwave, etc.

Also you can drop it around the mage who can Misty Step away if he's approached.

Edited to add: Inquisitive Rogue or Knowledge Cleric would seem to be a good fit on this character.

Unoriginal
2019-04-30, 09:10 AM
Your comment appears to remove player agency.

If the Player chooses to play a Cleric then the. Character is chosen by the god. D&D gods are fickle. They do not need a reason.

Ah, so you were just calling me a control freak. Good to know.

My comment does not remove player agengy. It's the *character* who has no agency about being a Cleric or not.

Same way the character has no agency in being a tiefling, even if it's player choice.

Regardless, Clerics are investments, for the gods. If you think that "fickle god give this Ranger miraculous powers" is a good story, then go for it.

Heck, if I were you I'd have the Ranger get Cleric powers from a Trickster after bashing Ubtao and the gods in general.

Like "gods are untrustworthy and irresponsible, with no care for what they create. My people learned this a long time ago" , and then BAM! she wakes up as a Cleric, to have a taste of what it takes to care and be responsible for a god.

But what do I know? I'm apparently just an unwelcome control freak.

ZorroGames
2019-04-30, 10:01 AM

My comment does not remove player agengy. It's the *character* who has no agency about being a Cleric or not.

Same way the character has no agency in being a tiefling, even if it's player choice.

Regardless, Clerics are investments, for the gods. If you think that "fickle god give this Ranger miraculous powers" is a good story, then go for it.

Heck, if I were you I'd have the Ranger get Cleric powers from a Trickster after bashing Ubtao and the gods in general.

Like "gods are untrustworthy and irresponsible, with no care for what they create. My people learned this a long time ago" , and then BAM! she wakes up as a Cleric, to have a taste of what it takes to care and be responsible for a god.

It was a Joke.

And no DM has ever played things that way in any 5e game I have play d (98% AL to be clear.). You do seem to run a different style game than the usual 5e I have experienced and, yes, just a bit of control freak on other things, (like a Dwarf doubting the Dwarvn Pantheon, Dwarf Meritocracy,) you have insisted “must” be as you describe them.

I do not mean to insult you, just a gentle tweak.

D&D is too wide, open even in AL, to have just one monolithic view of things.

ZorroGames
2019-04-30, 10:07 AM

I’ll run that past our AL organizer/DM to see if he would insert that bit of fate into our next game I play in. Thanks for the idea. I can see his eye-roll now. And I can already hear, “Where do you get these crazy ideas?” I will “blame” for the inspiration. If he goes for it I may ask for your autograph as master of twists of fate. 🤣