PDA

View Full Version : Creating a magical princess

NeptuneKnight90
2019-04-28, 11:42 AM
Hello, I’m trying to figure out a build for a princess in a story I am doing that will play a hugely important link in the story. She’ll start out as an NPC but then turn into a PC.

I’m borrowing the dynamic of this princess and her brother from Revolutionary Girl Utena’s Anthy and Akio.

My initial idea was to make her a cleric of an arcana god but I’ve realised that the character I am basing this on ultimately had power of her own and basically sacrificed herself to be in this position. It’s not clear if she learned it or if it was intuitive. So here’s my choices:

1) Brightlock with flavour - She can enter a pact with a lesser deity and be able to do lots of white magic but also a little darker magic too. It would probably satisfy the princess trope pretty well. All of this to try and aid her brother in his family’s quest. Which backfired.

2) Sorlock with either Divine Soul or Celestial - She was already strong, then entered a deal to sacrifice herself to save her brother. If I did the Divine Soul, then it could have been matrilineal Power handed down

3) Borrow a homebrew and flavour it - there’s a great one for witch that allows for a white witch and there’s one for princess that is a bit like sorcerer. The only downside is that I need this character to be able to ward and kill, both of which aren’t allowed.

4) Make my own class - Which I didn’t want to do.

Great Dragon
2019-04-28, 07:09 PM
Mostly I see a choice of what you really want her to have.

Celestial Warlock with Book Pact sounds close. Linked to either a minor deity or an Angel. Tome of Secrets Invocation.

Divine Soul Sorcerer, if you prefer Metamagic adding to her spell power. Think "Empowered Fireball" with healing powers!

I suppose multiclassing these two could work....

Redemption Paladin?

Each has it's pros and cons.

Naanomi
2019-04-28, 08:45 PM
I’d go Pact of Chain with a Sprite... years of Disney have taught me princesses have cute sidekicks.

Patron would be a Unicorn clearly

strangebloke
2019-04-28, 09:13 PM
I’d go Pact of Chain with a Sprite... years of Disney have taught me princesses have cute sidekicks.

Patron would be a Unicorn clearly

Go in hard. Shepherds Druid.

Not serious.

In reality, My recommendation would be this:

Half-Elf Archfey Warlock (Pact of the Chain)
Level 4: Inspiring Leader
Spell Selection: Sleep, Hypnotic Pattern. Mirror Image, plant growth, Charm Person, Friends...

Your whole build is all about charming people and keeping them happy.

alternately, just play a glamor bard.

Agent-KI7KO
2019-04-29, 04:51 AM
Oi, Magical Girls ***need*** that transformation powerup, and Glamour Bards get two one minute transformations, one at 6 and one at 14.

That level 3 ability also might as well be “the power of friendship”.

Maan
2019-04-29, 05:25 AM
In reality, My recommendation would be this:

Half-Elf Archfey Warlock (Pact of the Chain)
Level 4: Inspiring Leader
Spell Selection: Sleep, Hypnotic Pattern. Mirror Image, plant growth, Charm Person, Friends...

Your whole build is all about charming people and keeping them happy.

alternately, just play a glamor bard.
Or a Glamour Bard with 1-3 levels of Fey Patron Warlock, too. You get loads of charming charms + blasting potential.

NeptuneKnight90
2019-04-29, 10:57 AM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I’m going to look into each option presented.

Great Dragon
2019-04-29, 11:09 AM
Just thought up:
For that She-ra feel: It's been awhile since I saw that cartoon

Either

Monster Slayer Ranger. lv 15.
Although IiRC, she was a Sword and Board type: I'm going Archery style. 2 weapons also works, though.
1st Favorite Enemy: Aberrations.

Multiclassing for flavor.

Or

Ancients Paladin.
Alert and Sentinel feats.

I like the (anime) transformation princess, but taking Glamer Bard for this, really lessons the impact of the Paladin.

Maybe an improved version (longer duration) of a Hat of Disguise?

NeptuneKnight90
2019-04-29, 11:20 AM
Oh, I’m sorry I didn’t say this earlier! She doesn’t have to transform. The archetype character I’m using in this (Anthy) doesn’t really have that.

Mercurias
2019-04-29, 11:33 AM
Divine Sorc sounds close. Versatile spell options and beautiful magic wings for fairy princessing at level 14.

Waterdeep Merch
2019-04-29, 01:05 PM
Ancients Paladin.
Alert and Sentinel feats.

I like the (anime) transformation princess, but taking Glamer Bard for this, really lessons the impact of the Paladin.

I'm playing a fairy princess right now that went Ancient's Paladin. It fits surprisingly well, thanks to the high Charisma and magical team protection.

After level 11 I plan to multiclass glamour bard to further expand my utility and support capabilities in lieu of the more obvious combat amps I could find from hexblade or sorlocking. Partly because my stats and race are bonkers busted and I don't actually like playing overpowered things that outshine other players.

It lacks the oomph of the OP's other options, but it nails the flavor dead center.

NeptuneKnight90
2019-04-29, 05:48 PM
Thanks everyone. I’m still open to any ideas. I’ve been making builds based on your suggestions and will make a decision soon

Great Dragon
2019-04-29, 07:28 PM
@NeptuneKnight90
I haven't seen that show, so am not sure what Archetype you're going for.

Only Ideas I have left are:

Shepard Druid
(Plus Revised Beastmaster Ranger)
For maximum animal friends?
------------
With the focus of her being magical:

If she's more Gish/Tanky:
Fighter Eldritch Knight

If she's more sneaky:
Rogue Arcane Trickser

NeptuneKnight90
2019-04-29, 08:36 PM
This princess ideally has power of a deity and has a familiar. She also is slightly dark, as she gets cast in the witch role of a fairy tail gone wrong (despite noble intentions)

Max_Killjoy
2019-04-29, 08:39 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?570346-Make-a-magical-girl&highlight=magical+girl

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?586139-Help-me-build-an-anime-themed-magical-girl

NeptuneKnight90
2019-04-29, 08:57 PM
Thank you. That’s a really good starting place!

NeptuneKnight90
2019-04-29, 09:03 PM
See, I’m not sure if it would be better to use the Pact of the Chain on a celestial warlock or Tome for this. The familiar in question is pretty dang capable and present as a familiar. I’m not versed in find familiar and the rules of that.

Great Dragon
2019-04-29, 09:41 PM
The Spell gives: Bat, Cat, Crab, Frog (Toad), Hawk, Lizard, Octopus, Owl, Poisonous Snake, Fish (Quipper), Rat, Raven, Sea Horse, Spider, or Weasel.

The familiar must be within 100 feet, and you can see and hear through it's senses. Doing this makes you lose your own senses.

The familiar can deliver touch based spells.

Casting the spell again, allows you to change the creature type.

Chain Pact gives you Find Familiar as a bonus spell (doesn't count against your Spells Known total) and you can cast it as a ritual. Also, your familiar is smarter than normal.

Adds: Imp, Pseudodragon, Quasit or Sprite to the list of available familiars.

In addition, you can sacrifice your Action to have the familiar Attack.
Normal familiars can only do the Help action. Other activities are possible, but still limited to the capabilities of the Creature.

The Invocation Voice of the Chain Master allows you to communicate with it using telepathy, and extends the 100 foot Range to “on the same dimension”, and to allow you to speak with your voice through it (even if not normally able to) while using it's senses.

Tome Pact gives you 3 bonus Cantrips from any list. So long as you have your Book, you can cast these.

The Invocation Book of Ancient Secrets gives you 2 bonus spells with the Ritual tag. You can cast any Warlock spell that has the Ritual tag, and you can add more Rituals as you discover and decipher them. Takes 2 hours and costs 50 gp.

Edit: I look forward to hearing what all you did.

NeptuneKnight90
2019-04-29, 09:49 PM
I think Celestial Warlock with Chain is going to be the direction I go! Thank you so much for your help. I’ll be sure to provide updates

NeptuneKnight90
2019-05-01, 04:37 PM
The Celestial Warlock is great fit. It’s working so good for the story. I wonder if her brother shouldn’t be a darker warlock with the pact of the blade

Great Dragon
2019-05-01, 11:35 PM
The Celestial Warlock is great fit. It’s working so good for the story. I wonder if her brother shouldn’t be a darker warlock with the pact of the blade

For the brother:
Vengeance Paladin 3 + Hexblade/Blade X
Invocation: Thirsting Blade.

A no-nonsense (brooding?) man of sudden violence.
How does that sound?

Analytica
2019-05-02, 08:32 PM
I’m borrowing the dynamic of this princess and her brother from Revolutionary Girl Utena’s Anthy and Akio.

Can I just say I love you for this?

Having Akio a vestige/patron makes great sense. He's a dead god, or the ghost of one, or he is actually just Anthy's memory and guilt of him...

NeptuneKnight90
2019-05-03, 08:40 PM
For the brother:
Vengeance Paladin 3 + Hexblade/Blade X
Invocation: Thirsting Blade.

A no-nonsense (brooding?) man of sudden violence.
How does that sound?

Sounds great!

Can I just say I love you for this?

Having Akio a vestige/patron makes great sense. He's a dead god, or the ghost of one, or he is actually just Anthy's memory and guilt of him...

Thanks! I love the dynamic between her and Akio and what they represent.