PDA

View Full Version : LA buyoff

Wraithy
2007-10-03, 01:25 PM
I've heard the term LA buyoff floating around the forums, how does it work?

OniLever
2007-10-03, 01:37 PM
You can read about it here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm). Basically you trade some XP to get rid of LA.

Wraithy
2007-10-03, 02:05 PM
thanks, that's really useful:smallsmile:

Dullyanna
2007-10-03, 02:11 PM
I love LA buyoff. It keeps the races with a low adjustment from sucking, while the ones that aren't meant to be played (i.e. trolls)won't really benefit from it.

OniLever
2007-10-03, 02:35 PM
You're welcome, Wraithy.

I agree with Dullyanna. In general, I think that races with LA aren't worth it without buyoff. Sure, you can get a nice +2 STR right at ECL 2, but I'd rather have that uber-powerful capstone ability of the class I'm using when it hits ECL 20.

Draz74
2007-10-03, 02:43 PM
Of course, it just makes the few low-LA types who are already overpowered even worse. (E.g. Mineral Warrior, Feral)

Tequila Sunrise
2007-10-03, 02:50 PM
I hate LA buyoff. It creates a changing racial dynamic as the party's levels go up. At low levels +0 LA races are the norm as usual, but once LAs start to be bought off LA races become the norm. For example if a new player joins a high level game or a player decides to make a new character, they'll think "Well why wouldn't I play an LA race, if I can buy off the LA with a few XP?"

Dullyanna
2007-10-03, 03:05 PM
@Draz: I've never heard of a mineral warrior before. I guess I can see how some races (Or templates) even worse. But then, part of the problem is that they're overpowered in the first place. I'm not a munchkin, but sometimes I want to play a rather "different" race just for the fluff (Look at my sig).
@Tequila:IMO, it won't make that much of a difference at higher levels, Without it, LA races tend to be almost completely gimped at that point (Unless they're fighting types, in which case they kinda suck irregardless).

Chronos
2007-10-03, 03:19 PM
Then, too, LA buyoff doesn't really seem to make much sense mechanically, below max level. If I'm playing a level adjusted race without buyoff, then I might be, say, level 9 when the rest of the party is level 10. If, on the other hand, I've bought off my LA, then I've spent some experience to do so, and therefore have less XP than the rest of the party, so I might be, say, level 9 when the rest of the party is level 10. Why does this mechanic exist?

Dullyanna
2007-10-03, 03:23 PM
With LA buyoff, you spend a level's worth of experience. By being of lower level than the rest of the party, they're kinda supposed to get "more" xp, so they can reach the same level, eventually.

Edit:Read the last paragraph of Onilever's link, for a better worded answer.

Jasdoif
2007-10-03, 03:25 PM
Then, too, LA buyoff doesn't really seem to make much sense mechanically, below max level. If I'm playing a level adjusted race without buyoff, then I might be, say, level 9 when the rest of the party is level 10. If, on the other hand, I've bought off my LA, then I've spent some experience to do so, and therefore have less XP than the rest of the party, so I might be, say, level 9 when the rest of the party is level 10. Why does this mechanic exist?Its stated to rely on the "self-correcting nature of the experience point system."

In the first case, you're ECL 10 while the party is ECL 10. You get XP at the same rate as the rest of the party, so you'll stay behind in actual levels.

In the second, you're ECL 9 while the party is ECL 10. Which means you'll gain more XP then the rest of the party, and be able to "catch up" given enough encounters.

Tokiko Mima
2007-10-03, 05:32 PM
If you check the CR/XP tables I think it works out to gaining between 25 to 33% more XP per encounter for being a level behind your teammates. So for every level advanced the XP 'gap' between you and your higher CR friends shrinks by that amount (25 to 33%), on average. As a consequence within the space of a couple levels the gap is so small it's negligible.

Mechanically, it makes playing a caster of a non-LA 0 race feasible. It's exactly the same type of penalty as you get from being ressurected and losing a level, but slightly smaller. So to pay for losing your LA, you 'die' and have to make up XP to get back to parity with the party. Only with LA buyoff, you gain power rather than regain it.

Dullyanna
2007-10-03, 06:48 PM
For those who don't want to read the link:You have to wait until your class level is three times your level adjustmen before you can "spend" a level. If it's +2 or more, you'll have to wait for 3 class levels before spending another level.

Overlard
2007-10-04, 04:15 AM
Sure, you can get a nice +2 STR right at ECL 2, but I'd rather have that uber-powerful capstone ability of the class I'm using when it hits ECL 20.
Ah yes, like that amazing level 20 capstone ability that rogues get... :smalltongue: