PDA

View Full Version : Best class/subclass for Predator-esque assassin

stewstew5
2019-04-28, 03:15 PM
I’m in the process of creating a character who’s supposed to act like the predator from Predator. I want rogue for sneak attack, cunning action and expertise in ultimately athletics, intimidation, stealth and investigation, but none of the roguish archetypes in the PHB and Xanathar’s guide really speak to the overall idea. Second story work, Theif’s reflexes, Assassinate and death strike are all in line, and Scout is the most thematically intact, but I’m wondering if there are any options I haven’t caught?

nickl_2000
2019-04-28, 03:28 PM
Gloomstalker Ranger 3 or 5 first, then whatever you want (probably Thief the rest of the way

Misterwhisper
2019-04-28, 03:38 PM
I’m in the process of creating a character who’s supposed to act like the predator from Predator. I want rogue for sneak attack, cunning action and expertise in ultimately athletics, intimidation, stealth and investigation, but none of the roguish archetypes in the PHB and Xanathar’s guide really speak to the overall idea. Second story work, Theif’s reflexes, Assassinate and death strike are all in line, and Scout is the most thematically intact, but I’m wondering if there are any options I haven’t caught?

Scout archetype works.

Ventruenox
2019-04-28, 04:15 PM
Lizardfolk as your racial choice. The alien mindset plays in perfectly, as does the tendency to gather trophies from fallen enemies (and make weapons while you are at it). If you find your character has the ASI available for feats, Skulker would be a thematic pick.

Dr. Cliché
2019-04-28, 04:53 PM
Do you need to be Rogue all the way?

If you went with Warlock, you could refluff Eldritch Blast to be your shoulder-cannon. :smallbiggrin:

Then you've got the Invocations:
- Eldritch Spear (Your 'gun' now works at an appropriately-long range)
- Devil's Sight, Ghostly Gaze & Witch Sight (for the different visions permitted by the Predator Mask)
- Otherwordly Leap (Can mimic some of the Predator's jumping ability)
- One with Shadows (Can turn invisible when stationary and not in broad daylight)
- Shroud of Shadows (The full Predator Cloak)

Misterwhisper
2019-04-28, 05:52 PM
Do you need to be Rogue all the way?

If you went with Warlock, you could refluff Eldritch Blast to be your shoulder-cannon. :smallbiggrin:

Then you've got the Invocations:
- Eldritch Spear (Your 'gun' now works at an appropriately-long range)
- Devil's Sight, Ghostly Gaze & Witch Sight (for the different visions permitted by the Predator Mask)
- Otherwordly Leap (Can mimic some of the Predator's jumping ability)
- One with Shadows (Can turn invisible when stationary and not in broad daylight)
- Shroud of Shadows (The full Predator Cloak)

I can’t see a Yautja being any charisma based class.

However refluffing can make things work much better.

A spell less ranger would work well, especially if combined as a revised ranger

Or the scout fighter subclass from the lots of old UA

Nidgit
2019-04-28, 06:15 PM
Gloomstalker 5/Arcane Trickster 15 gets you a nice SA bonus, Extra Attack, limited blindsight and access to some illusion and other combat spells you can use for ambushes. Thief would also work if you expected to have a number of useful items, but Scout would probably be a bit redundant- it doubles down on the effectiveness of your first turn but doesn't offer much after that.

stewstew5
2019-04-28, 07:22 PM
Gloomstalker 5/Arcane Trickster 15 gets you a nice SA bonus, Extra Attack, limited blindsight and access to some illusion and other combat spells you can use for ambushes. Thief would also work if you expected to have a number of useful items, but Scout would probably be a bit redundant- it doubles down on the effectiveness of your first turn but doesn't offer much after that.

When your whole combat plan is “drop down from above and kill them instantly” staying in combat isn’t really a priority

Dracoqwerty
2019-04-28, 08:36 PM
Bugbear could work with the appearance, mentality (to a certain extent) as well as the whole hunting shtick, and the surprise attack helps with the whole sneak up and then kill your opponent in one hit. The ability bonuses are also good for a strength-based rogue, and you could even go rogue/barbarian because Barbarian could help with both the predator's durability as well as the feats of strength (rage helps with strength based skills like athletics) and the totem spirit could help especially with the eagle 14th level ability. 6 Rogue/14 Barbarian would give you the totemic attunement as well as expertise in 4 skills (as you said you wanted), or you could go 3 Assassin/5 Gloom Stalker/6 Totem Warrior Barbarian/6 Moon Druid to both improve tracking ability and get some nice buffs that fit with the predator's flavor (and survivability, i'm thinking hunter's mark and other ranger and druid spells) (especially the totem buffs).
My suggestions for totem warrior spirits would be:
Tiger Totem Spirit- better jumping ability that fits with the Predator
Wolf (or eagle) Aspect of the Beast: tracking or the excellent vision to mimic the Predator's incredible accuracy with the plasma cannon.
Tiger or Eagle Totemic Attunement- improves both the surprise attacking features of bugbears and the assassin's 3rd level feature that makes attacks against surprised opponents crits.
Best of luck,

Dracoqwerty

stewstew5
2019-04-28, 09:33 PM
For those of you offering race recommendations, I appreciate it but I forgot to mention I’m going skirmisher warforged, to look something like a sliver from magic: the gathering

Nidgit
2019-04-28, 09:52 PM
When your whole combat plan is “drop down from above and kill them instantly” staying in combat isn’t really a priority

That's usually not a fully viable option in 5e. It pays to plan beyond the first round.

stewstew5
2019-04-28, 10:05 PM
That's usually not a fully viable option in 5e. It pays to plan beyond the first round.

Still. Going for an idea, chasing a feeling. I’m more worried about mechanical representation than optimal performance

GlenSmash!
2019-04-29, 01:00 PM
Gloomstalkers get predator vision, combat bonuses for the first round for ambushing, Predator stealth against others with darkvision.

That's definitely were I would start.

hboyce1
2019-04-29, 01:24 PM

I mean, you need invisibility. I think that is a must if you want to become the predator. Consequently, maybe some bard levels would be good?

stewstew5
2019-04-29, 01:50 PM
I mean, you need invisibility. I think that is a must if you want to become the predator. Consequently, maybe some bard levels would be good?

You’d think so but gloomstalker has some darkvision breakers, so it’s probably best

Vogie
2019-04-30, 09:25 AM
If you don't want any multiclassing, Gloomstalker is the best

The Core of Assassin 3 Gloomstalker 5, I'd throw in 3 levels of Warlock for Invisibility that refreshes on a short rest - remember charisma is tied to Intimidation, which the predators have in spades. Pact of the Blade as a nod to their mastery of (and access to) various weapons, with EB acting as their energy weapon(s)

DrKerosene
2019-04-30, 09:34 AM
If you can start at level 17+, then you can use True Polymorph to turn yourself into an Orthon, which is a DnD expy of a Predator.

Use of the Mind Spike spell may be better than Hunter’s Mark if you want to be a really good tracker while being a caster.

stewstew5
2019-04-30, 10:11 AM
If you don't want any multiclassing, Gloomstalker is the best

The Core of Assassin 3 Gloomstalker 5, I'd throw in 3 levels of Warlock for Invisibility that refreshes on a short rest - remember charisma is tied to Intimidation, which the predators have in spades. Pact of the Blade as a nod to their mastery of (and access to) various weapons, with EB acting as their energy weapon(s)

But would they be good performers? From level 1 expertise in intimidation is equal to an improficiency with a good charisma, and only gets better. I wouldn’t want it to be inexplicably good at convincing people of things.

Good characters have weaknesses

Vogie
2019-04-30, 10:28 AM
But would they be good performers? From level 1 expertise in intimidation is equal to an improficiency with a good charisma, and only gets better. I wouldn’t want it to be inexplicably good at convincing people of things.

Good characters have weaknesses

... then leave it at 13?

Mostly, the inclusion of Warlock is a mechanical one. The doesn't want to have a patron and eldritch spellcasting - but they do want a character with a high level of technology. Having something like a Pact of the Blade GOOLock mixed in to get hammerspace, invisibility, blasters, universal translation (with invocation & Awakened mind), and super vision (Devil's Sight). If you need to define it because mechanical reasons aren't good enough for the game, perhaps it's a Pact with Yautja Technology. Actually that'd be more of a Hexblade, but the ability to grab a Force field (shield spell) would be a boon; Perhaps you want Blur instead of invisibility.

stewstew5
2019-04-30, 02:10 PM
... then leave it at 13?

Mostly, the inclusion of Warlock is a mechanical one. The doesn't want to have a patron and eldritch spellcasting - but they do want a character with a high level of technology. Having something like a Pact of the Blade GOOLock mixed in to get hammerspace, invisibility, blasters, universal translation (with invocation & Awakened mind), and super vision (Devil's Sight). If you need to define it because mechanical reasons aren't good enough for the game, perhaps it's a Pact with Yautja Technology. Actually that'd be more of a Hexblade, but the ability to grab a Force field (shield spell) would be a boon; Perhaps you want Blur instead of invisibility.

Keep in mind I’m not trying to perfectly recreate a Yautja hunter, the predator is just a good quick reference for its methods, tactics and aesthetic. Their not tech-pumped or magic, they’re a refined and effective hunter, dropping from the canopy and disappearing into the shadows

Vogie
2019-04-30, 02:34 PM
Keep in mind I’m not trying to perfectly recreate a Yautja hunter, the predator is just a good quick reference for its methods, tactics and aesthetic. Their not tech-pumped or magic, they’re a refined and effective hunter, dropping from the canopy and disappearing into the shadows

In that case, you want a Shadow Monk with an assassin Dip. If you don't want to worry about all of the predator tech that would normally define them, just focus on guerilla warfare, dipping in and out of combat, fighting in 3 dimensions, and disappearing into the dark

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-30, 02:40 PM
I mean, Gloomstalker Ranger with like 2-3 levels of Rogue covers almost all of this. For Rogue, Thief would provide utility while Assassin would kill things quickly. Then just make sure you have some sort of intense level of Darkvision.

Drow, maybe? Not only do you have better Darkvision than anyone, but you can create your own Darkness to hide in or to block out light. Technically, Super Darkness (like Devil's Sight) still uses a feature to see through magical darkness, so the Gloomstalker would still be invisible to a Warlock (or other creature) with a Devil's Sight effect.

stewstew5
2019-04-30, 02:42 PM
In that case, you want a Shadow Monk with an assassin Dip. If you don't want to worry about all of the predator tech that would normally define them, just focus on guerilla warfare, dipping in and out of combat, fighting in 3 dimensions, and disappearing into the dark

Way of shadow is one I haven’t heard yet, and it works better than most, but I still feel like gloomstalker (w/ ranger revised of course) and scout rogue is best for me