PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew 5e Feats Request

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-29, 02:48 AM
Does anyone have, or know of, any collection of homebrewed/revised Feats I could use in my game? :)

Shameless plugs aren't just allowed, they're encouraged ^^

DracoDei
2019-04-29, 01:06 PM
Well, I guess I'll create the alpha draft of a feat that is a prototype for class abilities I intend on giving a class I'm making. Plus one that is how I would interpret one of my 3.x/PF homebrews.

Second one first.

P.E.A.C.H. requested from all readers.

The first is a variant of the Sharpshooter feat (call it "Patient Sniper") with the stuff about cover replaced with:

"Once per round, when you would make a ranged attack that misses by 4 or more, you instead never fire that shot. The time you would have spent to attack is still spent, but effects that improve individual attacks (such as True Shot or Guiding Bolt) could instead improve a different attack. The GM may wish to roll your ranged attacks secretly if he wishes to keep the ACs of your opponents secret."

This is mostly good for preserving the element of surprise, secondarily for spells, and a distant third for conserving ammunition.

Next we have a 3.x/PF feat whose wording I shall copy from the 5e hydra (probably been done before, but it is easier to post it than to figure out how to do the search):

Combat Reflexes
You get a number of extra reactions equal to your dexterity modifier that can only be used for opportunity attacks.
If that is too many, one could make it half the number (minimum 1) meaning you need an 18 dexterity to get 2 additional opportunity attacks, and can't get 3. If it needs to scale more with the number of attacks a martial class could make during their turn, I could cap it at the lower of Dex. Mod. and Proficiency Bonus (or Prof. Bonus -1).

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-29, 01:52 PM
Ooooo extra Reactions. That's interesting :D

Perfect Shot
You have learned that patience is a virtue, and you are virtuous when lining up a shot against your opponent, only letting loose when you know you'll strike true.
When you use an action to make a ranged attack, where the attack would miss by by 4 or more, you can choose to cancel the attack. In addition, other effects that trigger on attack are not triggered.

Sounds more official to me this way. I know it's a bit ambiguous, but then again so is a lot of the official content.

What else you got?

DracoDei
2019-04-29, 02:08 PM
Ooooo extra Reactions. That's interesting :D
But is it balanced? I guess you aren't sure.

Perfect Shot
You have learned that patience is a virtue, and you are virtuous when lining up a shot against your opponent, only letting loose when you know you'll strike true.
When you use an action to make a ranged attack, where the attack would miss by by 4 or more, you can choose to cancel the attack. In addition, other effects that trigger on attack are not triggered.

The only problem I might have with that is that you gave it a title (EDIT^2: or rather a title that seems to refer only to what I actually wrote). Not that the title doesn't fit it, but that it implies it is a feat. I will remind you that that wasn't a feat in itself. It was 1/3 of a feat, the other 2/3 of which are identical to a copyright feat the rules of the board would seem to suggest I shouldn't copy-paste. Specifically the Sharpshooter feat.

Sounds more official to me this way. I know it's a bit ambiguous, but then again so is a lot of the official content.

Yeah, been 'brewing for decades, but only just seriously started on 5e. Thank you for giving me the feedback to help me learn. It was a lot of why I posted in the first place!

What else you got?
Nothing yet... will try to keep you updated if I come up with anything before this thread expires.

EDIT:I have something about dagger-throwing, but that isn't probably a feat in itself. See http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?586266-Dagger-thrower-fighter for my post in larger context.

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-29, 02:24 PM
Right, sorry ^^

I think you should just keep it simple and say "An additional reaction per round". You might have to add something on top of that, to be heavy enough to be worth the ability score point the player is giving up for it.
5e Likes it simple, and tracking reactions and acting in a middle of someone else's turns both serve to slow down gameplay.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-04-29, 02:42 PM
I've got a whole bunch in Grod's Guide! More weapon specialization type feats like Shield Master, feats for spellcasters who want to specialize in schools or elements, feats for races that didn't get racial feats in Volo's...

snafuy
2019-05-02, 09:21 PM
There's over 3000 homebrew feats at https://www.dndbeyond.com/homebrew/feats

Bjarkmundur
2019-05-03, 06:59 AM
Thanks guys! :D

R.Shackleford
2019-05-03, 08:20 AM

Trident Mastery

You gain the following benefits.

When you use a trident, its damage die changes from a d6 to a d8, and from a d8 to a d10 when wielded with two hands. (This benefit has no effect if another feature has already improved the weapon’s die.)

You can skewer enemies you kill with your trident and then use that creature as a projectile. When you drop a creature that is no larger than one size bigger than you to 0 HP, you may use a bonus action to skewer that creature. You can used this skewered enemy in 2 ways. As a bonus action you receive a +2 bonus to AC until the start of your next turn as you use the skewered enemy as a shield. This does not stack with the AC bonus from a shield. Additionally, while wielding the trident in 2 hands you may fling the dead enemy at another creature with a range of 20/60. Make a ranged weapon attack with proficiency. This dead creature deals 1d4 + Strength damage on a hit. While skewered you may still use your trident as normal, however it deals bludgeoning damage and the creature falls off after one attack and is unusable. If you use a weapon attack on a dead body, you can skewer an intact corpse.

Whenever you are wielding a trident and net, you don't take disadvantage on attacks with the net for having creatures within 5' of you.