PDA

View Full Version : changing feats for summoned monsters?

Yogibear41
2019-04-29, 02:56 AM
Is there anyway in the rules to change a summoned monsters feats?

Say I want to give one of my elemental's improved grapple, or some other creature power attack, etc. etc.

Is there anything in the rules for this?

RoboEmperor
2019-04-29, 03:19 AM
Is there anyway in the rules to change a summoned monsters feats?

Say I want to give one of my elemental's improved grapple, or some other creature power attack, etc. etc.

Is there anything in the rules for this?

Nope. There are variant rules for giving your summoned creatures magic items so you can use Arms and Equipment Guide's custom magic item rules to create a magic item that gives improved grapple to the creature wielding the item, hunt down the creature you always summon, and then give him the item.

Vizzerdrix
2019-04-29, 03:38 AM
I want to say yes. Some variant that changed the way summons worked a bit. You wouldn't summon any ole` elemental, you would summon YOUR elemental. I'll be darned if I remember where I saw it though. Maybe UA or Comp mage.

Ramza00
2019-04-29, 03:44 AM
I want to say yes. Some variant that changed the way summons worked a bit. You wouldn't summon any ole` elemental, you would summon YOUR elemental. I'll be darned if I remember where I saw it though. Maybe UA or Comp mage.

Links to what you are referring to.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/summonMonsterVariants.htm

I can't remember the name of the feats, but there are also feats that allow you to add more monsters to your list, what you can summon with these additional monster feats are based off your alingment.

RoboEmperor
2019-04-29, 03:58 AM
You can't change the feats of the base creature without dark chaos shuffle or house rules. Psychic Reformation can't do the job because monsters don't have xp. So the only way you're going to be able to use monsters with customized feats is if they are advanced creatures with higher hd than normal. Then you or the DM can choose the feats gained from the increased hd.

Thurbane
2019-04-29, 04:27 AM
There is a variant rule in the DMG (p.37)for summoning a specific creature with your summons. This includes rolling it's ability scores and hit points. It doesn't say you can change it's feats, but if the DM is letting you summon the same individual creature each time, he might be willing to work with you and allow you to select its feats...

radthemad4
2019-04-29, 05:52 AM
Well, there's a way to add fighter feats to summons at least.

Imbued Summoning ( Player's Handbook II, p. 92) is a +1 metamagic that lets you cast a 3rd level or or lower touch ranged spell onto a summoned creature with the same action as summoning it. You could use this with Heroics (Spell Compendium, p. 113), which grants the creature a Fighter Bonus feat it qualifies for. You could also just cast Heroics normally on a summon (e.g. one casting for improved unarmed strike and then a second for improved grapple). Maybe get a metamagic rod of imbued summoning?

Inspire greatness gives creatures HD, but not sure if you can take feats with these.

Falontani
2019-04-29, 10:59 AM
All npcs summons included are controlled by the dm. All npc may have different feats if the dm changes them. No dm that I know would say that you can't change the feats before the creature is summoned, if you give the dm the statblock before hand.

UA's rules allow you to customize your summoning list to follow a particular theme, dmg allows you to summon a single specific creature. Using both variants you customize what specific creature is on your list.