PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best solo character for sandbox solo game

Benny89
2019-04-29, 05:51 AM
So I will be playing some solo adventures. Sandbox game style. I was wondering what kind of build would be best suited for solo gameplay.

My brainstorming right now:

1. Swords Bard Half-Elf
2. Hexblade/Rogue (Rogue for Expertise in Social skills)
3. Chain lock/Rogue for Mask of Many Faces, expertise, invisible imp spy etc.
4. Conjuration Wizard or Shep Druid for minions (action economy)
5. Sorlock Chain for mixing utility, spells, DPR and social skills.
6. Bardlock Chain for same reasno as 5th.

What are your thoughts?

Mercurias
2019-04-29, 06:38 AM
The first build in this post looks like it would be really solid for a solo campaign. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23794664&postcount=1)

CTurbo
2019-04-29, 06:59 AM
This is an area where the Ranger actually shines. Even Beastmaster with a Wolf or Panther would be pretty good. A couple levels of Rogue for Expertise and Cunning Action would be great.

Chainlocks would also shine as has been mentioned. A touch of Rogue here would help for the same reasons.

and of course the Bard can play any role. No rogue levels necessary, but wouldn't hurt.

If I were to make a character for solo I would probably play a archer Gloom Stalker(possibly Hunter) Ranger with some Rogue (Assassin or Scout)levels. I'd take Ritual Caster for some utility and Find Familiar for sure and other feats like SS, Alert, Magic Initiate(Druid or Cleric), Lucky and even Mobile would be great if my stats were good enough to indulge on feats.

nickl_2000
2019-04-29, 07:21 AM
My go to when you need to be able to handle almost any situation is Moon Druid. You can melee easily with wild shapes, you have triple the HP as any other role (and get back 2/3s of it on a short rest), you can avoid and eliminate encounters with your versatility, and then you are a full caster.

Wildarm
2019-04-29, 08:09 AM
So I will be playing some solo adventures. Sandbox game style. I was wondering what kind of build would be best suited for solo gameplay.

1. Swords Bard Half-Elf

What are your thoughts?

Running Solo there are a couple things you'll want/need:

1) Good HP Pool and/or AC
2) Good Saves preferably with lucky feat
3) Stealth Skill(s)
4) Social Skill(s)
5) Utility Magic
6) AOE attack

It will be difficult to achieve all those in a single character class:

I'd lean towards a Tome Warlock 3/Ancients Paladin 7. Probably want to be dex based so you can stealth more easily. Probably need to roll a good set of stats to be really effective.

Bloodcloud
2019-04-29, 08:22 AM
My go to when you need to be able to handle almost any situation is Moon Druid. You can melee easily with wild shapes, you have triple the HP as any other role (and get back 2/3s of it on a short rest), you can avoid and eliminate encounters with your versatility, and then you are a full caster.

Good control over short rest means you should just about always have your wild shape available. Ritual caster means great out of combat utility. Your forms can be used to sneak. Only damage is a bit low sometimes (primarly somewhere around level 5-9), but then you do have concentration spells to keep the damage coming.

Yeah, Moon druid is gonna be hard to beat for this purpose.

SirGraystone
2019-04-29, 08:43 AM
Running Solo there are a couple things you'll want/need:

1) Good HP Pool and/or AC
2) Good Saves preferably with lucky feat
3) Stealth Skill(s)
4) Social Skill(s)
5) Utility Magic
6) AOE attack

It will be difficult to achieve all those in a single character class:

I'd lean towards a Tome Warlock 3/Ancients Paladin 7. Probably want to be dex based so you can stealth more easily. Probably need to roll a good set of stats to be really effective.

It's not possible to create a character specially at level 1 good at everything, pick the way you want to play first. Do you want to face most problem with brute force? Use stealth and deceit? Talk your way out of trouble? And create a character for your way of playing.

My self I would go for a paladin, able to fight in melee, heal himself and good charisma for social encounter. Of course that make him weak in stealth and magic utility.

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-29, 09:04 AM
Play a Rogue, make it hard on yourself. Rely on finding help, making deals and etc.
A DM is more likely to adapt to you if you have a clear playstyle or weakness. Trying to be good at everything is just failing to be good at anything.

If I have a player who's just sooooo excited to play out some heist and stealth missions, that's exactly what I'm going to prepare for. If I have a player who claims he can do anything, I'm less likely to prepare something tailored to him specifically.

Also, if a player has a single short term goal, I'm more inclined to make it happen. If a player has a never-ending goal, I won't feel bad for killing him at any point.

Pick a single straight class archetype with strengths and weaknesses, and go to town on a low-fantasy adventure with a clear, achieveable and finite goal.

Mitsu
2019-04-29, 12:56 PM
I would probably go for Hexblade 2/Sword Bard X/Paladin 2. SAD CHA, expertise, extra attack, Booming BLade, agonizing blast, repelling blast, armor of Agathys, smites, Shield, level 11 you can grab Shadow of Moil. You can have Shadow Blade when needed, good dueling skills, bonus damage from your Inspiriation die + bonus AC. Great social skills, great magic range attack/dpr. From spells steal some best spells from other classes like for example Shadow of Moil + Spirit Guardians. Or Conjure Woodlands Beings/Animals or Bigby's Hand or Greater Steed, or Holy Weapon etc. A lot of good options.

For leveling I would go for Hexblade 2/Sword Bard 12/Paladin 2/Sword Bard 5. This way you can still get 8th level spells, you have 2 attacks with Smites, (3 if PAM). A good options.

I would start as Half-Elf with 18 CHA at level 6 (Elven Accuracy), taking at level 10 RES (CON) (War Caster is not that good on solo) and 20 CHA at level 13.

Or start with Vuman, take PAM at level 1, 18 CHA level 5, RES (CON) leve 9 and 20 CHA level 13. 3 attacks per turn, SAD CHA, medium armor, Magic Secrets, Bard inspirations, dueling style + Defense style, Shadow of Moil, Shadow Blade, Armor of Agathys etc.

Second I would say Chain Lock/Rogue, as silent mastermind assassin. Invisibility Invocation, Mask of Many Faces, invisible familiar. Take GOO because then you get bunch of mind-spells. It's excellent at role playing silent spy/manipulator. I would probably go 14/6. Stay in Shadows, spy, make thralls, dominate etc, sneak. 1 Level in Bard makes you force disadvantage on charm spells.

Or just Hexblade 5/Whishper Bard. Extra Attack + Smite + Physic Blade. Hexblade 1/Sword Bard would work great too, though no smites to capitalize on crit hits, unless you use Shadow Blade.

hboyce1
2019-04-29, 01:00 PM

1. Swords Bard Half-Elf

What are your thoughts?

Hey, man! I love doing a college of valor bard if I'm looking to make a totally independent, combat savvy character. I would pick up Mirror Image, Blur, Banishing Smite and Shield for your non-bard spells to help you out in combat. Bards are great skill junkies as is, plus they offer spell utility. Consequently, I think they make for the best well rounded builds.

Mitsu
2019-04-29, 02:29 PM
I was theorycrafting it more and I got another good solo build would be:

2 Hexblade (SAD CHA, Curse, Shield, Booming Blade, medium armor, martial weapons, shields)
1 Bard (only for instrument focus)
17 Shadow Sorcerer (Shadow Hound for Disadvantage on spells that are not charms, quicken + subtle).

So why such spread you ask and what you get. Ok, so let's go:

1. Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast + Repelling Blast + Quicken EB- great DPR and single target dmg. You have single target dmg convered, no need to take anything else to get it.
2. Thanks to Shadow Sorcerer you have Devil's Sight + Darkness combo without need to take invocations.
3. Thank you Shadow Hound you force disadvantage on target vs any non-charm spell you cast, like Hold for example.
4. Thanks to ONE level in Bard you get to use bard instrument as focus, forcing disadvantage on all charm spells in game (errata changed spells affect from only material to material OR somatic, expanding spell list: https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/9xq494/instrument_of_the_bards_now_works_on_spells_with/)
5. Subtle charm spells that force disadvantage on them

So what do you we get: subtle charm spells + disadvantage on save throws, great DPR/Nova on EB + Quicken EB. Disadvantage on all non-charm spells when needed thanks to shadow hound, access to Drakness+ Devil's Sight advantage. You can subtle Darkness + use Sorc Points to get Darkness without bing counterspelled and get advantage on your EB spam.

You can use subtle charm spells like Charm Person, Dominate, Hyponotic Pattern etc. without being detected + disadvantage on them.

You still get Wish. You can still fight melee (GFB + Quicken BB if needed) being SAD CHA.

You get medium armor, shields, martials etc.

You have 20 CHA so still great social skills + suggestions, subtle charms etc.

You can start as Vuman with Extra feat (lucky is great for solo) because you get Darkvision from Shadow Sorcerer. There are tons of great solo feats you could take like Medium Armor Master, Mobile, Lucky, PAM.

I would start with Ritual Caster (Wizard) for Find Familliar and other great spell + you can add new ones as rituals. Gives you a lot of utility. Level 5 18 CHA, level 9 20 CHA. Or with War Caster to be able to use shield and cast spells.

Combos:

Curse + subtle Darkness = from next turn 19-20 crit advtange EB spam + Quicken EB.
Bard instrument + Hypnotic Pattern = lock down whole room of enemies. Pick them one by one with EB + Quicken EB.
Shadow Hound + Hold/Different Spell with save throw.
Level 17 = free teleportation in dim light or darkness.

You could also go 2 Hex/1 Bard/5 Shadow Sorc/1 Rogue for expertise in Stealth and Persuasion/Deception.

I also geard Shadow Monk is good solo but I never played monks so I can't comment.

Sol0botmate
2019-04-29, 03:12 PM
As many already mentioned- Warlock, Rogue and Bard are best solo characters as they cover everything what is best for solo gameplay in my opinion: social skills, stealth, utility and combat. Warlocks are always great at combat due to EB + Agonizing Blast, Sword and Valor Bards get extra attack + Flourish or War Magic and Rogues get Cunning Action (in solo it's important to be able to just run away) + Sneak Attack (thought harder to land in solo but it's still a boost).

Among Warlocks for solo I think Chain is best due to invisible imp. GOO get's a lot of mind-related features + spells, greatly supporting your high CHA and social skills. Invocations can get you disguise + invisibility + detect magic etc.

Bards can force disadvantage on charm spells and get Expertise on level 3.

The Following Collages get great social 3rd level features:

Collage of Lore get's proficiency in 3 skills (great for solo!) + Cutting Words which is great defensive tool. Even 1d6 from roll + Shield spell can make them miss.

Whishpers get free frightened condition on enemy you are talking with for 1 minute. Great to combine with high social character.

Glamour gets Enthralling Performance- AOE Charm which requires you to play. Great if you travel as musician/bard to mislead locals and you can easy make friends using it, get information, invitations, seduce etc etc.

Valor get's medium armors, shields and martial weapons. While weapon don't really concern you because you have EB, medium armor + shied + War Caster is great boost to your defense.

So what I would play as solo is Bard 3/Chain Lock GOO 17.

This gives you Charm-disadvantage on enemies, social 3rd level feature or combat feature from Bard, better familiar, good combat power as always with EB + AB, tons of utility in invocations, expertise in Stealth + Persuasion or Deception, Half proficiency to non-proficiency skills, tons of charm/mind spells from GOO which combo with instrument focus from Bard.

18 GOO Chain Lock/1 Rogue/1 Bard would also work.

Or 17 Sword or Valor Bard/2 Hexblade/1 Rogue. That would give you doube expertise fast, SAD CHA, Magic Secrets, social power, medium armor, good combat power thanks to extra attack. You can grab Bigby Fist for Bonus action attack in combat or Spirit Guardians.

Dunno what level you start but if you start at higher level (like 4-6) you could start as 2 Hex/1 Rogue/3 Bard already getting 4 expertise (Stealth, Deception, Persuasion, whatever), EB + AB and medium armors.

strangebloke
2019-04-29, 03:46 PM
Vhuman gloomstalker ranger starting with the skulker feat. Use hit and run to take your enemies out. Go into rogue after five of you truly want never to be found.

Benny89
2019-04-29, 03:51 PM
Thanks for all suggestions, seems like Bards and locks are most recommended.

So I think 2 Hexblade/17 Glamour Bard/1 Rogue would probably works best? I would get SAD CHA Agonizing Blast, double Expertise and high social rolls. I don't think extra attack is important because of Agonizing Blast spam. So I would probably pick Glamour bard for buffing my summons when needed and using Mantle of Majesty to combine with Eldritcht Blast spam (Repelling Blast + Stay/Flee Command, Next turn different target Repelling Blast + Stay/Flee Command). And I would get instrumental focus from Bards + martial weapons, medium armor and shields. I also get Shield from Hexblade + Armor of Agathys.

On Magic Secrets I would take Conjure Animals to combine with THP from Glamour Bard (as otherwise Inspiration goes to waste in solo gameplay).

I would take expertise in: Stealth, Deception, Persuasion and Performance. Since I am full caster I will get access to many social spells anyway.

I would also get a lot bonus action usage, like ]Mantle of Majesty, Hex, Curse and would probably pick Bigby Hand or Animated Objects maybe to combo it with EB Spam if I don't conjure allies.

Now that I think of it I could give up 1 Rogue level but I feel like early additional expertise is worth that dip.

ChiefBigFeather
2019-04-29, 07:08 PM
I‘d go Hexblade 1/Bard (Blade) X. Start with Hexblade for Wis saves, variant human for Warcaster.

This character is the ultimate jack of all trades.

Alucard89
2019-04-29, 07:40 PM
EDIT: Wrong thread

CTurbo
2019-04-29, 08:41 PM
Solo characters want high perception, high initiative, high mobility, high stealth, and lots of utility. Another set of eyes(familiar, companion, minions, or pet) is almost a must.

Talionis
2019-04-29, 09:39 PM
It needs to be a Face that can stealth. So you want a Charisma/Dexterity character. You are going to want to be able to completely avoid most combat because you will not win most combat one on one. Sorcerer 3/ Chainlock 3/ Rogue 1/Bard 2/X to flavor.

Sorcerer for Constitution saves and Subtle spell.
Chainlock for the Imp and the Friends/Disguise Self Combo and Short Rest spell recharge.
Rogue for Expertise in Stealth
Bard for Jack of All Trades

Additional levels I would probably Rogue 2 for Swashbuckler. The rest Lore Bard. Ending at Lore Bard 11 for 6th level spells.

You are going to do a lot of short resting and running away from fights. You try to pick your spots and cheat in fights or recruit friends to help

XmonkTad
2019-04-30, 01:14 PM

This also gets my vote. While this build doesn't do well with the "Face" role, it just bring so much utility to your life on top of S tier survivability. Never need to worry about food, because you have goodberry. Stealth is easy when you're a cat/spider/wheasel. Badgers give you burrowing, which can be amazing. This is on top of a full-caster that has decent AoE. Nickl has the right idea.

ChiefBigFeather
2019-04-30, 07:48 PM
Hexblade/Bard doesn't bring the survivability of the Moon Druid, but I think he more then makes up for it:
- Jack of All trades is huge when adventuring alone
- Bonuses to initiative are great
- Should be better at combat during mid levels
- Has access to Expertise

All while staying only one level behind in the second best full casting class.

Dracoqwerty
2019-04-30, 08:01 PM
I agree with the moon druid, but I would also suggest taking one level of cleric and choosing the life domain as well as being a v Human and taking the ritual caster feat and taking find familiar as one of your rituals. That way, even if (by some miracle) you do get knocked out of your wild shape, you have heavy armor and if you get knocked down, you can have your familiar feed you a 4-hp goodberry to get you back up on your turn.
Just a thought,

Draco

PopeLinus1
2019-04-30, 08:12 PM
Vhuman gloomstalker ranger starting with the skulker feat. Use hit and run to take your enemies out. Go into rogue after five of you truly want never to be found.

Gasp, you think he should never be found! How rude! Gosh why are you so rude all the time.

OverLordOcelot
2019-04-30, 08:20 PM
I agree with the moon druid, but I would also suggest taking one level of cleric and choosing the life domain as well as being a v Human and taking the ritual caster feat and taking find familiar as one of your rituals. That way, even if (by some miracle) you do get knocked out of your wild shape, you have heavy armor and if you get knocked down, you can have your familiar feed you a 4-hp goodberry to get you back up on your turn.

I don't see the point of the cleric drop. Even if your DM lets you use metal armor, you're looking at putting a 13 into STR and spending more money to get +1 AC over just taking a 14 dex and wearing medium armor, plus you're putting all of your spell and form progression behind by a level, and giving up the capstone if you ever get to 20. If you do have the metal armor restriction, then it's generally easier to find things like breastplates and half-plate of non-metal material than full plate. And depending on how you're doing stats, getting a 13 STR is probably weakening either your constitution or dexterity, meaning lower HP and concentration saves or lower initiative and stealth checks. EDIT: IT's actually worse than I was thinking, because you'll need a 15 STR not a 13, which definitely cuts into your other stats. If you're only going for chain mail then medium armor with a 14 dex is just better.

Also, I would check with your DM about the goodberry plan. RAW goodberry requires the creature benefiting from it to use an action to eat it, you can't feed it to someone the way you do a healing potion. I know Treantmonk likes to advise this, but it's definitely a house rule.

Sol0botmate
2019-04-30, 08:53 PM
Solo comes to either being able to survive/win direct combat or avoiding it by roleplaying/skills/spells.

Survival/Direct Combat:

If you are interested in first variant: 1 Rogue/5 Shep Druid/1 Rogue would do a lot of good for you: Shep Druid conjure animals (wolfs) are super strong, spirit totems are super strong for them. Rogue gives you expertise (Stealth + Persusasion), 2 Rogue gives you Cunning Action. If you need to run away: Action shape shift into something fast, bonus action get the f out of there.

I would start then with Variant Human and pick Ritual Caster (Find Familar) or War Caster and then on level 4: RES (CON) to secure that concentration. Shep druid doesn't need WIS ASI as all you will do in combat is conjure, conjure and conjure allies. Though it's very boring gameplay.

Another variant of that build if you roll stats is Shepard Druid 6/2 Paladin, starting Variant Human with PAM and on level 4 War Caster. This gives you 2 attacks, smites, using druid cantrip for SAD WIS + Quarterstaff + Shield to attack. You can get a lot of advantage from your wolfs proning. This is more of combat druid that can smite his enemies. You get medium armor + defense style. A lot of combat power thanks to summons + 2 attacks with d8 (cantrip) + smites. Good AC and utility (wild shapes). Cons: poor social side, no expertise, no stealth really apart from wild shapes.

As for more of jack of all trades:

2 Hexblade/Lore Bard 5/1 Hexblade (Chain): Agonizing Blast gives you all the combat power you need, medium armors, hex, armor of agathys, curse, shield spell, shields. Cutting Words for defensive usage of your Inspirations, early Magic Secrets to get Counterspell + Conjure Animals. Expertise at 3rd and 10th (Stealth + Social skills), boosted charm spells + free proficiencies. After you get 3rd level spell (Hypnotic Pattern), get Chain pact for familliar and then 6th level Bard for Magic Secrets.

Race: Changling (if allowed) would suit this character best, as you can get Disguise Self covered mostly by race featuresm you get +2 CHA and +1 DEX. Take Actor on level 4th for 18 CHA and being Deception master. Cons: medium combat power as all you have really is Agonizing Blast till Magic Secrets when you can get Conjure Animals.

3 Hexblade/Sorcerer. Classic Sorlock. Great damage, dpr, action economy, melee (double Booming Blades with quicken), Darkvision, Darkness combo, Misty Step, Quicken Dimensional Doors. Quicken + Subtle, access to fireball, counterspell. Cons: no summons, no social expertise/boost.

Imo you can't really make a character that has everything, but you can make one that will do great at many different things.

Dracoqwerty
2019-04-30, 09:28 PM
I don't see the point of the cleric drop. Even if your DM lets you use metal armor, you're looking at putting a 13 into STR and spending more money to get +1 AC over just taking a 14 dex and wearing medium armor, plus you're putting all of your spell and form progression behind by a level, and giving up the capstone if you ever get to 20. If you do have the metal armor restriction, then it's generally easier to find things like breastplates and half-plate of non-metal material than full plate. And depending on how you're doing stats, getting a 13 STR is probably weakening either your constitution or dexterity, meaning lower HP and concentration saves or lower initiative and stealth checks. EDIT: IT's actually worse than I was thinking, because you'll need a 15 STR not a 13, which definitely cuts into your other stats. If you're only going for chain mail then medium armor with a 14 dex is just better.

Also, I would check with your DM about the goodberry plan. RAW goodberry requires the creature benefiting from it to use an action to eat it, you can't feed it to someone the way you do a healing potion. I know Treantmonk likes to advise this, but it's definitely a house rule.

Fair enough in terms of the heavy armor issue, I didn't read closely enough into the PHB in terms of heavy armor rules, whoops. However, per sage advice, feeding someone a good berry when they are dying is ok (at least according to Jeremy Crawford). IMO, being able to restore 4 hp with a 1st level spell slot or more with other lower level spell slots (and more importantly, get you up from dying) is especially helpful when as a moon druid you will be in wild shape most of the time anyways.

Draco

Source on the Sage Advice (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/10/goodberry-on-dying-pc/)

OverLordOcelot
2019-04-30, 10:00 PM
However, per sage advice, feeding someone a good berry when they are dying is ok (at least according to Jeremy Crawford).

However, as I said before, under the actual written rules, you cannot feed someone a goodberry, they have to use an action to eat it. Jeremy Crawford might house rule it, but it's still a house rule, and I recommend checking with a DM before basing a major character decision on a house rule that said DM might not actually choose to use. I would make especially sure to check with a DM before basing a major character decision on a house rule that Jeremy Crawford tweeted out, as I know a lot of people who consider "Crawford tweeted something that agrees with me" to make that person's argument weaker.

IMO, being able to restore 4 hp with a 1st level spell slot or more with other lower level spell slots (and more importantly, get you up from dying) is especially helpful when as a moon druid you will be in wild shape most of the time anyways.

IMO giving up druid spellcasting and wildshape abilities for a little bit more healing when you already have healing spirit for the best out of combat healing in the game is a bad trade. And the 'more importantly' bit only depends on whether the DM house rules goodberries, it works just fine whether you have 1hp or 4hp goodberries, so the life cleric part isn't relevant.

Dracoqwerty
2019-05-01, 06:25 AM
Alright, I can see your point and I agree that pure moon druid would be more effective in a solo situation :smallsmile:

Good point in terms of the goodberry argument, and thank you for informing me what is and isn't considered part of Sage Advice, I didn't know that before.

Draco

Aidamis
2019-05-01, 06:29 AM

1. Swords Bard Half-Elf

What are your thoughts?

Hexblade/Rogue sounds great. You can become James Bond with all the stealth, skills, fighting prowess and charisma you need, plus magic to come to your aid. As a Warlock, you may even take Mask of Many Faces and improve even further as a super agent.

Mitsu
2019-05-01, 07:12 AM
How about GOOlock 4/1 Bard/1 Rogue? After that you continue as GOOlock. You get expertise from Rogue and instrument as focus from Bard to cast charm-spells with disadvantage for enemy saves.

You take Mask of Many Faces and Agonizing Blast first, then take Repelling Blast to control your enemy, then take utility Invocations like invisibility, detect magic etc.

Also I think your DM will tailor your adventures to you. If you go Lock/Bard I am sure you will see more intrigues and spying and less multi-opponent combat.

I think you should just pick what you will find most fun :)

Benny89
2019-05-01, 07:18 PM
I just rolled my stats with DM, got pretty good ones!: 14, 15, 12, 15, 13, 17

I think I will start with Half-Elf with STR 12 , DEX 16, CON 16, INT 13, WIS 14, CHA 19

My plan is to play more of a spy character, so I think I will settle on Warlock 2/4 Bard for a start. I will take Actor feat at level 4, giving me 20 CHA.

For subclasses, I think there is nothing better than Hexblade, just too much good stuff on 1st level. For Bard I am still torn between Lore for Cutting Words + faster Magic Secrets and Swords for getting that extra attack.

Lore Bard would be straight caster spy with faster access to some great spells and relying on Eldritch Blast spam, while Swords I think I could go 1 Hex/6 Swords/2 Paladin to add some smites to my 20 CHA attacks. Both have good defense with either Defensive Flourish or Cutting Words.

Misterwhisper
2019-05-01, 11:10 PM

I think I will start with Half-Elf with STR 12 , DEX 16, CON 16, INT 13, WIS 14, CHA 19

My plan is to play more of a spy character, so I think I will settle on Warlock 2/4 Bard for a start. I will take Actor feat at level 4, giving me 20 CHA.

For subclasses, I think there is nothing better than Hexblade, just too much good stuff on 1st level. For Bard I am still torn between Lore for Cutting Words + faster Magic Secrets and Swords for getting that extra attack.

Lore Bard would be straight caster spy with faster access to some great spells and relying on Eldritch Blast spam, while Swords I think I could go 1 Hex/6 Swords/2 Paladin to add some smites to my 20 CHA attacks. Both have good defense with either Defensive Flourish or Cutting Words.

I would not rule out celestial warlock with pact of the chain.

An invisible intelligent flying scout you can share senses with.

And with one invocation can maximize your huge pool of self healing.

You don’t need two attacks when you can add your charisma to damage of a green flame blade cantrip on top of the normal damage that is already good.

Also, talking does not break invisiblity so with voice of the chain master you can be the ultimate spy and do. It even have to be there to report in or communicate.

ChiefBigFeather
2019-05-02, 07:10 AM

Blade Bards can use their weapons as spellcasting focus. They are very compelling for this reason alone. Self use of inspiration is also really good. But Counterspell and Mirror Image are good reasons for Lore Bards.

I think advancements in Bard spellcasting will be more powerful then investing into other classes. I'd try to get Bard 10 for Wall of Force as soon as possible.

XmonkTad
2019-05-02, 07:15 AM

If your plan is to keep advancing bard, is there a particular spell you're looking to grab with magical secrets? Find Steed, spirit guardians, I can think of a few. But is there something from lore bard that you would really want? Whispers gives you a fighting style if you're planning on doing melee.

Benny89
2019-05-02, 02:43 PM
If your plan is to keep advancing bard, is there a particular spell you're looking to grab with magical secrets? Find Steed, spirit guardians, I can think of a few. But is there something from lore bard that you would really want? Whispers gives you a fighting style if you're planning on doing melee.

I want to keep theme as "behind the scene" mastermind feeling. Lore bard allows me to grab faster things like Conjure Animals and Counterspell (or Fireball), giving me nice assassination/single target killing power (Conjure Animals) which is big jump. I don't really want to melee as concept of character is to be be able to scheme around his target/goal and chose his playground for advantage. Summons + counterspell (denying enemy spell casting) seems like important part of "back stage" characater.

Hexblade is for additional burst when dealing with single target. Agonozing Blast + Curse + Hex is great single target DPR, works great combining with Conjure Animals and Counterspell as Spy/Assassin type.

I think my character is not fond of "melee" as she prefers to keep her hands clean and lure enemies into perfect ambushes instead. Summons + EB spam seems like best option.

Deathtongue
2019-05-03, 10:24 AM
Bladesinger Wizard with a focus on Stealth. I recommend going Half-Elf for a badly-needed Charisma bump. If you're still hurting for social skills, a level of rogue will fix that right up. So, you'd look something like:

Half-Elf Rogue 1 / Bladesinger Wizard 4 (Gladiator Background)

STR: 8 INT 16 CON: 13 (14) DEX: 16 WIS: 8 CHA: 12

Expertise: Perception, Persuasion/Deception
Feats: Resilient (CON)
Skills: Arcana, Investigation, Perception, Persuasion/Deception, Stealth, Acrobatics, Performance

The big weaknesses of this build is that you'll be somewhat hurting for offense until around character level 7, when you get Shadow Blade + Extra Attack. And you'll be hurting for HP defense for a long time. Grabbing Tough instead of maxing out your DEX is by no means a bad idea.