PDA

View Full Version : Question about metallic dragons and change shape

Dankus Memakus
2019-04-29, 12:30 PM
So if a metallic dragon turns into a humanoid such as the Knight stat block with their change shape do they get multi attack? Are there anyways a dragon could turn into a capable humanoid warrior if not?

Edit: The reason I want this is because I知 going to be playing a level 20 1 shot soon. I want to be a true polymorphed brass dragon but I want the other players to think I知 a fighter at first

Aleister VII
2019-04-29, 03:25 PM
IIRC you can polymorph yourself into any creature that you have seem, just say that you once saw a level 20 Fighter and are currently mimicking him/her.

JackPhoenix
2019-04-29, 03:33 PM
IIRC you can polymorph yourself into any creature that you have seem, just say that you once saw a level 20 Fighter and are currently mimicking him/her.

The ability refers to challenge rating. PCs don't have CR.

Zuras
2019-04-29, 06:34 PM
When Dragons use Change Shape they get all the physical stats but keep their mental ones. They get all features except class features, which normally means spellcasting.

Your best bet is the Swashbuckler from Volos. Their suave defense feature adds your Charisma bonus to your base defense, which can get quite ridiculous with a Dragon. Since no class gets that feature, it definitely isn稚 a class feature, and should apply when you Change Shape.

Great Dragon
2019-04-29, 07:07 PM
From my exp in 3e, the 5e Dragon's Alternate Form seems to work a little like a Druid's Wild Shape: Gain all the physical stats of the creature, but Dragons still retain their original mental stats, HD/HP and saves.

Because they don't have Class Levels, they aren't proficient in tools, armor or weapons.
However, you can ask if you can trade every 4th HD to get feats for those.

The multi-attack is more tricky, so you'll need to ask your DM. Ask if you can have Unarmed Strike to get multi-attack. It's actually less than a 20th Level Fighter's regular attacks.

Zuras
2019-04-29, 07:15 PM
Since multi-attack is not a normal class feature that any class gains, it should transfer directly under the change shape rules. Technically you would only be proficient in whatever weapons they use in their stat block, but issues like what skills and such transfer is up to your DM.

Dankus Memakus
2019-04-30, 11:55 AM
Since multi-attack is not a normal class feature that any class gains, it should transfer directly under the change shape rules. Technically you would only be proficient in whatever weapons they use in their stat block, but issues like what skills and such transfer is up to your DM.

This is interesting. I assume armor as well. This is fine though I値l do absolutely fine with this technicality thanks