PDA

View Full Version : Incantations for routine utility magic

zlefin
2019-04-29, 04:55 PM
For 3.5, is there a homebrew set of incantations designed so that you don't need casters to provide certain utility spells (teleport, various kinds of special effect healing)?
the listed incantation system is designed to have weird and unusual effects, and is specifically not supposed to allow you to function without a caster in general.
I'm wondering if there's something for regular use to let a party get by well enough without casters.

thorr-kan
2019-04-30, 12:32 PM
I'm not aware of anything that allows PCs to use incantations to replace casters. Incantations were designed to be the big cultist ritual that PCs need to disrupt to prevent Cthulhu being summoned.

Or the DnD equivalent.

However, if you want to use them, the drawbacks could be hand-waved away.

icefractal
2019-04-30, 08:36 PM
IIRC, Spheres of Magic has an invocation-like option, as well as the ability to acquire some magic via feats. Pathfinder, but should be pretty simple to convert.

radthemad4
2019-05-01, 12:57 AM
I once tried to make something I called 'Utility Tracks' (e.g. Infiltrator, Tracker, Naturalist, Face) that any class without out of combat powers would have been able to sort of gestalt with (they offer abilities, but not BAB, HD or saves), but never got too far with it. It does 'just give them spells' though, but I've tried to avoid ones that are only useful in combat. It's very very incomplete and definitely not balanced atm (I'm not sure if I'll finish it as I'm wondering if a better approach might be to modify existing classes instead in ways thematic to the class, even though this would be a lot more work), but maybe you could mine it for ideas.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3ajixsabpje4wla/AACsEs1IXAIouBzKor5OcaPUa?dl=0

Psyren
2019-05-01, 01:23 AM
the listed incantation system is designed to have weird and unusual effects, and is specifically not supposed to allow you to function without a caster in general.

It actually does let you function without a caster - in a low-magic game, where magic is expected to be rare/inconvenient/dangerous.

While D&D is not the best system for that kind of game in general, it at least lets you make a go of it.