PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to deal with non-stop ochre jellies?

SolarSystem
2019-04-29, 05:47 PM
This past weekend, first day in a new 3.5 campaign, my character wakes up in a dungeon and is afflicted with a magical ailment that has her coughing up an ochre jelly every few hours (every 1d4 hours +/- dramatic moments of GM's choosing).

We had to kill the first one because of where it landed, but the next two were safely avoided.

Until we manage to find a cure or at least a way to control when they come out we'll have plenty of issues resting. Luckily I'm an elf, so no fears of smothering myself in my sleep and I can control where I'm spitting these things that are a size category greater than I am!

Edit: We're a level 3 gestalt party. I'm a wizard/scout. Others include a druid/bard, cleric/fighter, rogue/warlock and a soulknife/other psion (I forget) and to join on session 2 is a cleric/crusader.
Cash on hand is minimal. Personally only have 110 gp. Might be able to get another 100 or so from the unsplit gold we looted. - this is a new game - spent most starting gold on items and equipment and only have one short session's worth of loot. (much time was spent finishing up characters for some players, especially one with no D&D experience at all)
/Edit

Explanation out of the way, does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to help mitigate the problem until real solutions present themselves in-game? Any ideas on how to keep them from attacking me or the party?

frogglesmash
2019-04-29, 06:58 PM
Knowing your party's level, composition, and available funds would go a long way to helping us help you. That being said, vomiting the jellies into a bag of devouring would completely solve your problem, assuming you can get your hands on one.

SolarSystem
2019-04-29, 07:30 PM
Knowing your party's level, composition, and available funds would go a long way to helping us help you. That being said, vomiting the jellies into a bag of devouring would completely solve your problem, assuming you can get your hands on one.

Edited with party info.

Bag of devouring would be nice. I do feel the GM wouldn't make it that easy, however.

Falontani
2019-04-29, 07:38 PM
Several ways exist to rebuke/command oozes. They are mindless with a small range of blindsight, so a pit would work. Darkstalker and a roll higher than 20 makes you invisible to them.

There is a demon from fiend folio with ooze control that is one successful planar binding away, if your party is good remember Pazuzu's deal

Melayl
2019-04-29, 08:09 PM
XP farming?
Vomit them into a bag of holding and then release them onto your enemies (preferably from a higher vantage)?
Start your own dungeon?
If they didn't have that bonus to climb, you could sell them to cities to dispose of their organic waste (by trapping them in pits).

Sounds like an interesting start to the adventure.

Telok
2019-04-30, 12:31 AM
Let me get this straight, you're horking up a 5600 lb living acid blob approximately eight times a day? The 6 HD, 69 hp, -5 initiative, nil Int, 4 AC, speed 10 critter?

Well you can always walk away from it while flipping sling stones at it. A 200 foot high drop ought to kill one most of the time. If you can do Dex damage to one you can split it down and sell off chunks of your living acid bath (it can't dissolve wood, stone, or metal).

Personally, I'd farm the suckers. Make sure everyone has a blunt weapon handy at all time, have everyone "fight" it until it manages to land a hit, then slaughter it. It's a CR 5, you should only need about 5 per person to level up.

Elvensilver
2019-04-30, 02:57 AM
So your symptoms are being nervous and frequent acidic discharge? And you've recently picked up a new occupation, namely wandering through dimly lit wet dungeons?
Well mylady , the situation seems clear: due to the stress and the physical exertion of "adventuring" you've picked up a severe case of heartburn.
So, for the treatment options: a cure disease aimed at your guts may bring your internal micro-/macro-/arcano-binom back to a healthy composition. A standard cure spell might at least alliviate the problem, and heal any damage that already occured in your throat. But the effects of healing magic on different kinds of slimes and mucus is not fully explored yet, there have been cases where Curing would make slimes more peaceful, others were it induced growth.
To make divine magic your only treatment is als a risky plan, and the long term effects of regular healing (more than once a week) are observed to be hybris, sudden jumps in certain abilitys and more frequent dragon attacks centered on the affected person. So, I would strongly recommend to change your intake. Especially as an elf the regular intake of fibres and vitamins is vital for your health! If you suddendly changed your diet it shouldn't surprise you that your digestion also changed. So, instead of hardbread and jerky, a balanced diet for a young elf who regulary performs strenous activities would be 5 warm meals a day. Here, 70% of the intake should consist of vegetables and fruit, and the rest should consist of fish, whole flour and eggs.
If you manage to change your diet, the result will soon kick in, and your unpleasant problems will end. Save travels mylady, and may I ask for my consultating fee of 10Gold?

noob
2019-04-30, 04:15 AM
To make divine magic your only treatment is als a risky plan, and the long term effects of regular healing (more than once a week) are observed to be hybris, sudden jumps in certain abilitys and more frequent dragon attacks centered on the affected person
you just described adventuring.
It is true that getting healed regularly with divine magic is highly correlated with adventuring which is a very deadly disease(it is rare to have a disease with more than 100% death rate but this one is in that category)

Eurus
2019-04-30, 12:34 PM
*snip*

I laughed, so you probably earned the fee.

It is true that getting healed regularly with divine magic is highly correlated with adventuring which is a very deadly disease(it is rare to have a disease with more than 100% death rate but this one is in that category)

...that may be the best description of Adventuring I've ever heard...

ericgrau
2019-04-30, 07:17 PM
Well it has 4 AC, so power attack for max if the fighter has it. Or whatever attack penalty gets him to hit on a 2. Other than that some damage spells and so forth to drop it quick. Try to do what you can to get tougher. You're a wizard so false life is nice. Then in combat intentionally move into melee and always face a foe.

Other than that you could go into a town and buy lots of sacrificial animals to surround yourself with.

SirNibbles
2019-04-30, 08:19 PM
Caltrops should instantly split the Jelly into sub-10 HP segments (Piercing damage splits, new jelly appears in an area with Caltrops in it, takes damage, repeat), at which point Burning Hands should take care of it, or your Fighter can easily Cleave them.

As for a cure, remove curse/disease seems about right.

SolarSystem
2019-05-01, 02:34 AM
Several ways exist to rebuke/command oozes.
Other than a ooze and slime domains which we do not have, what are the other 'several ways'?

----
To all those suggesting farming: that's certainly an option. We do have a severe lack of bludgeoning weapons at the moment, though. Worst case we can probably just make a few makeshift clubs from the wilderness we're now in. Just need a sturdy branch.

The main issue is how to deal with these things when people are trying to sleep. While everyone's awake we can either walk away or bash them depending on the mood. Can't really drop them into a hole unless it's very deep since they climb with ease.

Caltrops should instantly split the Jelly into sub-10 HP segments (Piercing damage splits, new jelly appears in an area with Caltrops in it, takes damage, repeat), at which point Burning Hands should take care of it, or your Fighter can easily Cleave them.

As for a cure, remove curse/disease seems about right.

Caltrops into instant smaller bits... that's a fun idea! Easier to smash and they don't hit as hard and they'll have a bit of trouble trying to grapple once they're small.

3rd level spells. It'll be a couple levels before we can cast those ourselves. Hopefully we can find someone willing to cast on us for a good price.

Three of the others also have a magical ailment, although not nearly as annoying.

There is always the other option to cure that our druid/bard accidentally took: she died. Potion of reincarnation we'd been given turned the dwarf into a halfling, but at least she's alive and no longer sick. That one was on par with mine - she sneezed acid powerful enough to melt down metal doors. No effect on living creatures.

Still waiting to see what this somewhat sadistic (but fun) GM will have affecting the player who missed the first session.

Falontani
2019-05-01, 11:08 AM
Thirst domain, planar touchstone: catalogues of enlightenment can grant access to a domain granted power as if you were a cleric of your level.

There aren't many other ways to do that

jintoya
2019-05-01, 03:00 PM
Dehydration should work on a creature that is almost entirely water

what happens to this thing if you throw baking soda on it?

Get some alkaline metal shavings and just powder it?

Ask your DM about making a spell "awaken ooze/slime" then just tame it and have it eat the others.

SirNibbles
2019-05-01, 03:06 PM
Ask your DM about making a spell "awaken ooze/slime" then just tame it and have it eat the others.

Awaken Ooze (Dragon Magazine #304, page 38) is an 8th level Sorc/Wiz spell.

jintoya
2019-05-03, 10:54 AM

So then, just gotta get the DM to approve of it, then have your slime engulf the others until it's big enough that they stand no chance, no more trouble

noob
2019-05-03, 10:57 AM
So then, just gotta get the DM to approve of it, then have your slime engulf the others until it's big enough that they stand no chance, no more trouble

I am not sure slimes grows this way.
as far as I know slimes grows by reading a book on Tuesday.
(nobody except for oozes knows the god of oozes sleeps Tuesday and so that oozes recover their intellect during Tuesday)

jintoya
2019-05-03, 11:15 AM
I am not sure slimes grows this way.
as far as I know slimes grows by reading a book on Tuesday.
(nobody except for oozes knows the god of oozes sleeps Tuesday and so that oozes recover their intellect during Tuesday)

I'm pretty sure that in 3.x when two slimes fight, the slime with the most HD wins an engulf match and adds the HD to it's pool, going up a size category if applicable... I'm on a boat right now so I cannot check the rules on this... Can someone fact check me?
Should be in the MM

noob
2019-05-03, 11:17 AM
I'm pretty sure that in 3.x when two slimes fight, the slime with the most HD wins an engulf match and adds the HD to it's pool, going up a size category if applicable... I'm on a boat right now so I cannot check the rules on this... Can someone fact check me?
Should be in the MM

maybe in 3.0

jintoya
2019-05-03, 11:36 AM
maybe in 3.0

I thought that rules that were in 3.0 that were not specifically updated in 3.5 remained valid, hence the .5 and not making it a new edition.

Anyways, I cannot find the rule, I am on my phone so, it's kinda clumsy, maybe I saw it in a Q&A, or maybe it was just a "that makes sense" thing because I know they have a simple anatomy like that.
I always figured they were just too mindless to think "we should regroup to fight"

SolarSystem
2019-05-12, 10:59 AM

8th level spell.. I think that by the time we get to high enough level to use that these jellies won't be an issue. Interesting idea, though!

Vizzerdrix
2019-05-12, 12:38 PM
What about amulets of ooze riding for A&EG? Anyone mention those yet?