PDA

View Full Version : Running THE THING d20

fireinthedust
2007-10-03, 02:39 PM
John Carpenter's The Thing, to be precise.

My brother-in-law is a cthulhu fan, and we're due another rp session. He doesn't know much about rpgs, neither do any of the players. I want to run d20 call of cthulhu, or d20 modern. I've got the stats regardless for the alien. I don't think they've seen the film, but it's possible. I also don't usually run RL games, as it's hard to find players.

anyhoo: how should I go about running the session? What should I do to get either the feel of the movie OR a movie-like setting?

things I want:

1) they're stranded in an arctic locale for X days (until rescue, the radio is down, etc.)
2) There's something up there, unsure what it is
3) They're a group of scientists (although I've thought about Marines. Heck, I could run an Eberron game at low level) with the point being thinking through the situation: it's cold, limited resources with straightforward uses (no level-based attacks if it can be avoided: a gun is a gun, a flamethrower is a flamethrower, etc.)

how should I run the creature?
NPCs who may or may not be turned?
getting that air of suspicion?

should I have extra characters, in case the PCs go at each others' throats?

Driderman
2007-10-03, 04:02 PM
Limited resources = Good.

A thing you may want to do is stat out all NPCs beforehand, with personality and character quirks and what not. That way, if a PC gets taken over by the creature you can always hand them a different role once their cover is blown.... Actually, that idea is pretty interesting, I may have to create a scenario of my own where I use that techique

Mithhuan
2007-10-03, 04:17 PM
Instead of just telling them they're stranded, let them explore and find out their stranded. Let them find out during the adventure that the helicopter is frozen up or the radio isn't working. This gives them goals to accomplish, like finding the radio part, or the pilot thats been killed by the alien.

Mr Croup
2007-10-03, 04:35 PM
First off, yay for running a game based off The Thing.

I agree with Mitthuan about not starting out with them being trapped. You could run the intro to the game with things going along as normal, giving them a chance to get to know the other characters and NPCs. Then you can spring the first inklings of the creature storyline on them.

As far as having other characters ready for them, I'd be hesitant to do so. You could always let them take over an established NPC that's still alive, but I think you'd be better off letting them know that once their characters die, that's it, and to encourage them to work together to stay alive. That, in and of itself, should help set the tone as a survival game.

If things start getting dicey between the PCs, and it looks like violence might break out, throw in a sudden movement in the doorway, that they only see just out of the corner of their eye, or the sounds of combat down the hall as an NPC is attacked, to draw them out of fighting amongst themselves.

As for running the creature, play it smart, a step ahead of the PCs. It should move with the speed and timing of plot, so to speak. Of course it's going to attack and take the place of an NPC when the players are off in some other location. Of course, it will sabotage the power just as the players have entered into a darkened service shaft, or some such.

In regards to creating the sense of suspicion, a good way to start is to have it reflected in the NPCs. Have them be just as suspicious as you want the players to be for the most part. Keep throwing out circumstances where the NPCs and the individual players are split up for periods of time, however short. When players split up, actually split the players up into different locations so that they aren't aware of what is going on with the others.

This definitely sounds like a fun idea, and I wish you luck with it. Are you planning on running this as a one shot, over a few sessions, or as part of a longer campaign?

fireinthedust
2007-10-03, 04:56 PM
probably one-shot

and I think I'll use cards to represent key equipment. and counters for things like fireworks/torches (put another one in the jar).

and statted NPCs, or create all characters in the North trip, get the players to choose from the pile; then as each one dies, pick out another one.

also cards of "you are now the creature" and "you are not the creature", handed out randomly, to toy with PCs.