PDA

View Full Version : (Posible) leadership handbook: For Optimization & Fun (help needed)

Antarx
2019-04-29, 10:03 PM
I haven't found anything on the web about what to do with followers from the Leadership feat.

Recently, my current PF Bard took that feat to fill my new fortress, and I started planning what to do with 15 really low level NPC's. My first thought was to make several crafters, and how to optimize then. At first glance, a low level character skill has nothing to write home about. Counting a 15 on his main related stat and 4sp invested (in 3.5, or 1+proficiency in Pf), nets a +6. Skill focus can add a +3, for a +9 total.

But later I noticed that some classes/archetypes (especially in PF) gives bonus to skills. For example, a Witch can pick an hex that gives "Brew Potion" and a +4 to alchemy. An optimized 1st level Half-elf Witch can have craft (alchemy) +13. Probably more with the proper traits and feats.
For extra fun, we can build the rest of the character, adding stuff that synergizes with her strengths. For example, with high Int for spells and alchemy, she can have a nice knowledge score, and probably she can cook. So... we can make her a the ruler of and orphanage. She cares for the kids, teach them, cooks for them, tell tales at noon and cook meth at night. How cool is that?

Also, I noticed that nowhere says that the followers must be humanoids... awakened animals can fit. How about a Awakend raven Oracle 1, with the putrid curse, to serve as scout for a undead themed character? He can fly, he can talk, he can hide, he can cast spells, retrieve objets, carry messages, use wands... infinite possibilities.

So, all in all, I want to make a (more or less) complete list of optimized (and really cool) NPCs for various tasks, and I need more brain power to achieve it. This list will serve to the DM as a bible for ideas, adventure hook characters, and really unique NPCs for emergency use. And of course, for players with Leadership (if the DM let's them build their own followers). Any advice will be really welcome

At first, I thought about filling those spots. (More to be added)
* Spies.
- female halfling (rogue, or viviseccionist?) posing as a little urchin child
* Crafters (potions, scrolls, consumables, clothing, etc)
* Carriers (party loot, merchants)
* Attendants / caretaker (including sexual services maybe)
* Bard/ Storiteller /Scribe / mapmaker (to write about your deeds)
* Guards (high spot and martial skills required)
* Ostler / Animal trainer (falconer, dog trainer, veterinary)
* Lawyer / Ambassador

* Special mention
-Fun pets (awakened animals with character levels)
-Animated objects

Any ideas??

Edited: Builds (with elite array scores)

Races:
Dwarves: have a racial trait for a +2 to craft on metal or stone objects
Gnomes: +2 to one craft skill of choice
Half-elves: +2 to one ability score (pick int for crafting) and free skill focus feat.

Classes:
Witches: Cauldron hex, for a +4 to alchemy, and free brew potion feat. And they have cool spells for their potions, like healing. Int is his main ability score.
Alchemists: Free brew potion feat, and +1 competence/level to alchemy for crafting. Int is his main ability score.
Wizards: FRee scribe scroll. They haven't healing spells. Int is his main ability score.
Summoner (Synthesist): An Eidolon with the skilled evolution gets +8 racial bonus to one skill. While melded, the master can add that score to his own ranks. Charisma is his main ability score.

Feats
Skilled: +3 to any skill

Traits
Artisan: +2 trait to one craft skill
Patient calm: Take 12 instead of 10

Builds:
Any craft: +23 total, and 35! when taking 10.
Gnome synthesist summoner: (15 int) +2, Skill focus (+3), ranks (+1), class skill (+3), masterwork tools (+2) artisan trait (+2) patient calm (take 12 instead of 10) eidolon racial skill bonus (+8), Obsesive (Gnome racial trait) (+2)

Jack_Simth
2019-04-29, 10:52 PM
Try a Synthesist Summoner. Get that tasty, tasty +8 Racial to an arbitrary skill, in addition to Skill Focus (+3), a Masterwork Tool (+2), ranks (1), and it being in-class (+3). That's +17 before any stat bonus. A Craftsman variant dwarf with a 12 in Int would have a +20 modifier, and could take 10 to make DC 30 - which is a masterwork item with the voluntary +10 for working quickly - provided it's a metal or stone item, of course.

Antarx
2019-04-30, 01:00 PM
Try a Synthesist Summoner. Get that tasty, tasty +8 Racial to an arbitrary skill, in addition to Skill Focus (+3), a Masterwork Tool (+2), ranks (1), and it being in-class (+3). That's +17 before any stat bonus. A Craftsman variant dwarf with a 12 in Int would have a +20 modifier, and could take 10 to make DC 30 - which is a masterwork item with the voluntary +10 for working quickly - provided it's a metal or stone item, of course.

Awesome!

Well, the Eidolon gives a +8 racial, so the Dwarven +2 doesn't stack (it's a racial bonus too) Gnomes have also a +2 racial. In this escenario, half-elf of human may be a better choices, because the +2 to one ability score and free skill focus feat, so we still have a spare feat.
Also, I found taht we can net some extra points with traits. Artisan trait adds a +2 trait to one crafting skill. Patient calm lets you take 12 instead of taking 10 in one craft or profession skill.

Jack_Simth
2019-04-30, 06:24 PM
Awesome!

Well, the Eidolon gives a +8 racial, so the Dwarven +2 doesn't stack (it's a racial bonus too) Gnomes have also a +2 racial. In this escenario, half-elf of human may be a better choices, because the +2 to one ability score and free skill focus feat, so we still have a spare feat.
Also, I found taht we can net some extra points with traits. Artisan trait adds a +2 trait to one crafting skill. Patient calm lets you take 12 instead of taking 10 in one craft or profession skill.

Au Contraire! Check out the definition of bonus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/glossary/#Bonus):
Bonuses are numerical values that are added to checks and statistical scores. Most bonuses have a type, and as a general rule, bonuses of the same type are not cumulative (do not “stack”)—only the greater bonus granted applies.

The important aspect of bonus types is that two bonuses of the same type don’t generally stack. With the exception of dodge bonuses, most circumstance bonuses, and racial bonuses, only the better bonus of a given type works. Bonuses without a type always stack, unless they are from the same source.(Emphasis added)

Racial bonuses explicitly stack. I checked a little while back.

Antarx
2019-05-01, 01:36 PM
Corrected. +23, and 35 when taking 10. Quite impressive for a lvl 1 npc!! :smallsmile:

Now I'm working on scouts and spies.

Jack_Simth
2019-05-02, 08:49 PM
Corrected. +23, and 35 when taking 10. Quite impressive for a lvl 1 npc!! :smallsmile:

Now I'm working on scouts and spies.
Again: Skill optimization. At 1st level, Synthesist Summoner blows just about everything else out of the water.

Scouting: Kitsune (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-kitsune/)(Superior Shapeshifter, for Fox Shape (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/fox-shape) as a bonus feat and no requirements) Synthesist Summoner. Quadruped Eidolon (16 Dex). Evolution points are spent on racial bonuses to Stealth and Perception. You keep all your own abilities while in Synthesis with your Eidolon, and so you can still use Fox Shape. So you've got +8 Racial stealth, and turn into a Tiny animal for another +8 Size to stealth, have 16 Dex, and get a +4 Size bonus to Dex. I'll let you finish the math and tweak with things like Skill Focus as desired.

Spying: Kitsune Synthesist Summoner again. This time, it's Bluff and Disguise for the two Evolution points, going Nine-tailed Inheritor (for Magical Tail as a bonus feat) and Naturalized (no need to use Disguise when pretending to be human, take ten on Bluff to pretend to be human). First level feat is spent on Realistic Likeness (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/realistic-likeness-kitsune). Again: You keep your own abilities while synthesized, so after merging with your Eidolon, you turn into whatever human you need to be. +10 Circumstance to Disguise, +8 Racial to disguise, plus any ranks, skill focus, traits, et cetera you care to scrounge up. Oh yes, and Kitsune get their racial stat bonus to Charisma, which boosts Disguise and Bluff. Use the Disguise Self from Magical Tail when you need to layer disguises (Disguise Self can be disbelieved, which means when they penetrate the disguise with a good Will save... they see a different, better disguise).

Edit:
As for the others...

Carriers (party loot, merchants)
- Summoners get Ant Haul, and a quadruped gets increased load. Or, you know, just buy a bunch of mules and pack saddles.

Attendants / caretaker (including sexual services maybe)
- More skill optimization. See the spy entry. Swap out Bluff for whatever suits the task. That +8 Racial bonus that can be put on any skill is great for first level minions.

Bard/ Storiteller /Scribe / mapmaker (to write about your deeds)
- Still just skill optimization. Synthesist Summoner again.

Guards (high spot and martial skills required)
- See the Scout entry. Synthesist Summoners make good meatshields, especially when stuck at 1st. One evolution point on Perception, the other on whatever strikes your fancy. A bite attack, maybe.

Ostler / Animal trainer (falconer, dog trainer, veterinary)
- Still just skill optimization.

Lawyer / Ambassador
- You may see a pattern, here....