PDA

View Full Version : [FAE] X-Men: New Generation

Kaworu
2019-04-30, 11:34 AM
X-Men: New Generation

Chapter I

It was a beautiful, sunny day in the New York City. For elder high schoolers, their finals were just behind them and they were awaiting their results. It meant one thing – universities and colleges of all sorts were begging for the attention of those, who decided and had money to pursue higher education.

Headmistresses, prof. Jean Grey, thought it’s an excellent opportunity to show her students how life outside of Institute for Higher Learning was – at least in terms of academia, because she obviously did not kept her students in cages. So, she took her class to a trip to a university she had hold in high esteem – The New York State University.

The fair promised to be a “fun and enjoyable experience for everybody involved”. There were student theatre groups, university choir giving free performances, societies of various studies and sciences (“South American Linguistic Alliance”, “Applied Genetics Society”, “Theorems in Mathematics Group”, “History of Life on Earth Young Researchers” to name a few) and even an open-space concert. Of course, there were also food courts serving hot-dogs, hamburgers and hot sausages, all with a selection of tasty sauces.

You all were looking eagerly around you, trying to get a good look of university campus and its many attractions. Professor wanted you all not to wander, but was eager enough to let you choose the direction when the group would move next time, each one in succession. And yes, there was so many diverse things happening around you, that every one of you felt satisfied when their time had come.

After some time, you had came across a building of Humanities and Social Sciences. There was a big banner displaying in red letters against the white background:

“Yay on Nay Debate Club
Today’s topic:
Mutants and their rights – what should be done?
We invite everybody interested!”

Professor Gray looked at the banner, thinking intensively. After a few seconds, she had said

- Do you wanna participate? I have to admit, all the education you are receiving is about to prepare you to be better citizens, and obviously this would be a good idea to test if you learned something. On the second hand… it could get nasty. I want you to not run away, to be honest, but all the hate speech that you could get exposed to… I really don’t know… - she went silent for another moment, seemingly weighting cons and pros – Do you wanna to enter and talk to the people? Or maybe we should pretend to not have seen that? Of course, that raises philosophical questions about civil courage, arete and subjective versus objective reality…

She looked at you thoughtfully, trying to assess your feelings and mental strength.

Ridai
2019-04-30, 06:18 PM
Ava actually had not been looking ahead to the trip. Institutions of learning are connected to death for her. The Institute has plenty of powerful mutants and is fairly different. Sure, Professor Grey is with them. Legendary omega mutant in the flesh. People are happy, so many people.

Ava catches herself looking for stillness among the moving masses. Some vague figure, some momentary shape. Omens in the surroundings. Touch of the hair. Breath on the neck.

No. Stop. Jean Grey is watching over me. Stop. Ava's lips are pressed into a thin line, forcing herself to look ahead, rubbing her sleeved arm absentmindedly. Too warm for long sleeves, but she doesn't like to wear short ones anymore.

Around that moment, the girl realizes Professor Grey is asking them a question, Ava emerging from her thoughts. A blink. Professor Grey deliberating. A sign about a debate club that seems obsessed about boiling matters down to a yes or no. Mutant rights as the topic. Oh no.

A quick glance around reveals some degree of indecision or not wanting to really say anything among the others. Normal classroom behavior. So something old returns to her as she slowly raises her hand until it is level with her brown hair.

"I can try. I haven't been at the Institute all that long and I don't think I can make it a 'yay' or 'nay', but I can try." Ava's voice is soft, with something in the undertones that could be mistaken for being unsure. Really, she needs some form of distraction right now. And would like a place where she is less exposed than in the middle of a fair.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2019-04-30, 09:40 PM
A boy that looks like he could be one of the college students' kids darts from booth to booth filling his little bag with pencils and clothespins and other free logo-printed goodies. He's playing with one of those little clips for your potato chip bag when the group comes to a stop by the civics building.

"Learned something? Like what?" Too short to see around the other students, Timmy pushes past Ava and runs up to get a good look at the sign. "Oh, cool! Debate club! Is it the research contest kind where they talk really fast?"

He looks up at Ava excitedly. "We could totally do a kritik debate! We'd just reject the idea of implementing anything until we address the underlying bias and assumption that we're dangerous!"

It's hard to tell whether Timmy actually knows what he's talking about or whether he's just stringing together some words that he overheard from one of his tutors or something.

Orc on Shelf
2019-04-30, 10:53 PM
Cameron is a bit torn about this fair. He’s not usually comfortable around strangers and there are so many here, but on the other hand he is happy to learn a thing or two about what university life is like, and in a crowd this size even he can blend in to an extent.

When Professor Grey asks students about joining the debate his natural inclination is to shrink back and hunch his shoulders, but that’s not the man he wants to be some day. His teachers have been encouraging him, to put it nicely, that he needs to find ways to challenge himself. To get out of his shell. It takes more effort to open his mouth now than bench pressing four tons, but he manages to raise his hand and step forward.

”I-I-I’ll do i-it professor.”

Not exactly the sound of confidence he was hoping for, but he did speak up, and this was a debate he felt prepared for. At least academically speaking.

Nap Captain
2019-05-01, 02:10 AM
Bridget

She'd not been looking forward to this at all. Normally a trip outside the institute would have been a welcome distraction, but she'd had a raging argument with professor Munroe the previous week, not to mention being on "probation", so she was treading on egg shells. And that was not the way Bridget liked to operate.

Still, she began to let her guard down when they arrived at the campus, and for a short time she allowed herself to imagine what it would be like to attend college, have all the experiences college kids did... But that wasn't for her. Best not get too distracted.

When professor Grey led them to the debate stand Bridget barely even listened to her moral wrangling: anger had already eclipsed everything else and she was rolling up her sleeves and storming forwards before she knew what was happening.

Mutants and their rights. I'd like to see them try and tell me I shouldn't have rights! Anyone looking closely might notice the faintest trail of sparks that light up in Bridget's wake as she lets her anger get the better of her.

Ridai
2019-05-01, 11:23 AM
Well, at least Timmy is looking forward to this. "Yeah, we might need to depending on what they base the debate- Oh no." In that moment, she is seeing Bridget beelining into the building. She gives a quick "Sorry" to Timmy for having to cut the conversation short and hurries after the older girl. Bridget seems to drive people away, Ava knows... knew people like that. She's talked with her every now and then, never pushing, just being... there. Being someone who cares.

Ava catches up, walking beside Bridget. "I know the debate topic looks bad, but we don't know yet what points will be actually debated and who is doing the debating. We'll join and state our case, but please calm down, you are creating fire. Please?" Ava fully expects to get physically pushed aside and/or yelled at, and with Bridget's mutation, that is a disconcerting prospect, but she can't just do nothing. Bridget blowing a fuse in a place like this would be bad for everyone involved and only fuel the narrative against mutants.

JeenLeen
2019-05-01, 12:35 PM
Luddite/Abram

If anyone looks closely, Abram seems a bit off from the rest of the crowd. Beyond being careful not to get too close to anyone and avoiding the crowds -- nobody in his two-inch-ish tech-kill aura; people get ticked if they find out their phones suddenly don't work -- his clothes, while fashionable at a glance, are a bit off. His denim jeans and T-shirt don't quite fit any of the local designer labels, knockoffs, or Wal-Mart stock, being hand-knitted by him using needle, thread, and cloth he got ordered from a 'natural method' store on some hippie commune. It was a lot of work, and some he was a touch embarrassed about, but it meant his clothing lasted a bit longer if he went heavy on his anti-tech aura. Stuff made by assembly line seemed to fail a little bit quicker than this, and he was still embarrassed from an exercise two months ago when his clothes fell apart. (At least his underwear had been hand-made stuff, so it held up.)

But the clothes fit him well, and his lean muscles show slightly through the shirt. A touch of vanity, perhaps, that he didn't make it looser-fitting. Besides being a touch self-conscious about his power and clothes, he's pretty happy looking at the fair and getting some swag. He frowns as one student puts a USB drive in his bag, it almost touching his hand. Well, that's fried. Maybe Timmy will enjoy experimenting with it.

At Professor Gray's question, he is pensive for a few moments as the others answer, but then confidently chimes in. "I think it would be good for us to be involved. We have your permission to say we are..." He glances to the college students near him, his confidence fading a bit. "Well, um, what we are? I think it'd be good for us to try to show them we're people, too, even potential students who can help out the community."

Orc on Shelf
2019-05-01, 02:44 PM
Cameron watches anxiously as Bridgette storms, literally storms, off toward the debate stage, with Ava trailing after.

Better come up with a plan stone head, and fast.

Ava will do what she can to calm Bridgette for now, but she’ll need backup soon.

“Abram, can you find Tai? If we have to get Bridgette out of there fast she’s our best bet. In the mean time... Timmy, can you come up with a microphone if Abram breaks this one? I’ll try and catch up with the girls.

Confident that’s the best he can do to prepare for disaster Cameron rushes to catch up with the girls. He starts to call out for them to wait a second, but he can’t bring himself to.

JeenLeen
2019-05-01, 03:01 PM
Abram needs a smile and nod towards Cameron. As one who feels compelled to take the lead at times, he appreciates when others also do so.

Hmm, being in Bridget's body would be an interesting way to do the debate, he thinks, first simply of limiting his power messing it up, then a mix of teenage hormones at the idea of being intimately familiar with a female body and fear at Bridget's response to him knowing what it feels like to be in her body.

Thus, he looks around for Tai.
"Did you hear what Cameron said? If Bridget starts upsetting people, could you swap one of us not up there with her?"

He also starts to head towards the debate. Even if he's on the sidelines to be backup or a replacement, he wants to hear what happens. And Tai should be there to see Bridget, he thinks.

Nap Captain
2019-05-01, 04:19 PM
"No I'm not," Bridget lied petulantly, as Ava stepped up beside her. Bridget tightened her fist, thinking about hitting the girl to make her shut up, but decided it wasn't worth it. She glanced around at the other students milling about and shook her head.

She focussed, her anger continuing to burn but this time she kept it inside her and her powers hidden. "I'll give them a piece of my mind, is all. I'm not going to use my powers, stop whining." She then carried on, fully ready to leave Ava behind and headed towards the debate.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2019-05-01, 04:59 PM
Timmy rushes in alongside Ava to catch up with Bridget. He seems to be on-board with the storm-wielder's intentions.

"Cool! Ava's right about seeing what we're up against first, though. Let's go see!" He runs ahead to see what the debate team is up to, picks up any reading material about the event and flips through it.

Orc on Shelf
2019-05-01, 05:40 PM
Not sure if Timmy heard him earlier, but Cameron decides to let it drop for now. Bridget seems to have stopped the elemental light show at least, and Abram isn’t around anyway.

He looks at Ava as Timmy rushes by and shrugs before following.

What have I got myself into?

Ridai
2019-05-01, 05:50 PM
No violent reaction. It's something. Ava continues to walk beside Bridget, not all that relieved about her intentions. She talks with a low, calm, but intent voice. "Well... that's the thing. Chew them out in front of everyone without knowing anything about them and you'll be the bad guy in this. Someone films it, uploads it with no context and a clickbait title, internet knows you as a crazy offended mutant and dismisses what you're saying. If some are questioning mutant rights, debate them, dismantle their arguments in front of the crowd, beat them at their own game."

It is clear to Ava Bridget needs some way to vent, and even if she somehow managed to convince the elementalist to avoid confrontation altogether, that would only lead to Bridget bottling up even more anger. Of course, there's the distinct possibility that the debate club ends up verbally humiliating the mutants, but, well, Ava doesn't see a lot of options at the moment.

Kareeah_Indaga
2019-05-01, 06:44 PM
As was frequently the case when something wasn’t directed to her personally, Tai wasn’t paying the professor a great deal of attention. That was caught instead by a random passerby with the most unusually dyed hair, as Tai wondered how the individual had achieved the effect – the roots were obviously black, but while most of the passerby’s hair was shaded into blonde, somehow she’d managed to turn the ends of her eyebrows red…Tai wondered if it was a deliberate effect or just a case of cheap hair dye, the not-blonde also had a fake tan that was obviously flaking, which suggested a certain lack of attention to details…

Tai’s train of thought was temporarily interrupted as a classmate – someone she vaguely recognized, not someone she knew by name, although that constituted most of the class presently – elbowed her and gestured behind her. Tai looked to see what he was gesturing to but only saw Professor Grey. She looked politely puzzled and the boy just rolled his eyes, giving Tai the sense that once again she was missing something.

She looked around, intending to ask the not-blonde if she knew her hair and eyebrows didn’t match, and then spotted Abram, one of the few classmates whose name she knew.

"Did you hear what Cameron said? If Bridget starts upsetting people, could you swap one of us not up there with her?"

“Oh, hello Abram. What did Cameron say? Yes, I can do that,” she said, pleased that this was a problem she understood. By way of reassurance, she added. “In fact I’ll do that right now!”

((SWAPPING Bridget with Abram.))

Nap Captain
2019-05-02, 01:50 AM
"Blah, blah, blah, I get it: you're afraid. But I'm-"

Bridget's vision fuzzed for a minute and when it came back she wasn't stood in the same place anymore. Maybe that girl's finally worked out what her power is useful for was Bridget's first thought, but then as she looked towards Ava she saw... herself. In a panic, Bridget examined her own surroundings and realised she was not in the same place nor even the same person she expected to be.

Narrowing her eyes Bridget looked at the culprit: Tai.

Storming towards the girl in mounting anger (and Abram's body), Bridget attempted to grab Tai. "Change me back right now!"

Ridai
2019-05-02, 04:06 AM
Ah. Getting dismissed without really being listened to. Well, it was worth a try, but she will need a different approach next time. Only Bridget's anger seems to end as abruptly as her sentence, replaced by a look of confusion. Add Abram shouting about wanting to be changed back.

Ava sighs. She'd really rather be back in her room right now.

"Abram, I need you to stay calm, not touch anything, and come with me, please. You too, Timmy." With that, Ava heads back out, not running, but moving with urgency. Since Bridget is now up to open aggression and shouting, Ava is really hoping that Professor Grey will snap out of her indecisions and intervene. Reaching the group of students, the girl hands her phone to one of them, asking them to please watch it for a moment, before moving closer to the escalating situation. Because now she is getting ready to stand in Bridget's way if necessary, and she is fully expecting to be slugged by Abram's body full force. While she is probably among the least resilient of the students, Ava has the dubious advantage that she is no stranger to experiencing excrutiating pain and keep on going regardless.

"Tai, please undo the switch," she asks, keeping her voice calm, but trying to get between Abram's body and Tai. Hopefully the punches won't hit one of her fresher stab wound scars.

I'm compelling Ava's Heart of Gold aspect to have her put herself in harm's way.

Jumbus
2019-05-02, 04:20 AM
Really sorry guys went on holiday but back now there should not be anymore problems with me posting daily if you would still have me play. I'll post my character sheet which has my background in it and jump in if that's fine with everyone. Will post my character sheet on the OOC board as well.

Name Noah Bell
6 foot 4
180 pounds
Looking similar to Shaggy

Aspects
High Concept Chill Druid Dude
Trouble Pacifist

Power Facts
-Can fuse DNA with plants to gain power ups but must have detailed knowledge of the plant to do so. He can also memorize some mutations but takes a lot of time.
-Has memorized the ability to gain bark skin defending from physical attacks but gives weakness to fire.
-Has memorized the ability to release weakening spores (these do not stun or do damage for now)
-Has memorized the ability to grow and control vines to grapple and restrain enemies.
-Can make seeds and grow plants that he has eaten previously while out of combat at about 5x the normal growing rate of the plant.

Approaches
Good (+3) Careful
Fair (+2) Clever, Forceful
Average (+1) Stealthy, Quick
Mediocre (+0) Flashy

Refresh 3

Stunts
Wild Empathy +2 to create advantage or overcome with Lore when you try to calm or communicate with animals
Forager You gain +2 to Lore when gathering food in forests
Protector You are an expert bodyguard. +2 to defend with Athletics whenever you pull someone out of harm's way at great personal risk to yourself

Backstory
Coming from a stable home in a wooded suburban area, Noah was the middle child, his older sister was the academic of the trio and his younger brother was the comedian. Noah didn't really stand out until he noticed his power while in a stroll through the woods. Seeing this as his calling to stand out he spent many hours in the woods developing his power tending to and learning from the plants in the area as well as befriending the local wildlife.

Noah had been looking forward to the trip the ability to get out and about seeing new environments always put him in a good mood. But did it have to be so crowded.

Noah was spaced out just looking around until he saw a student walking his dog through the crowd so he wandered over to try and pet it. With no indication of being a mutant, Noah could spark up a conversation with the student asking about life around the University and how it's all going, trying to avoid conversation about himself. After petting the dog and wishing its owner farewell hes looks back to the group where it was obvious commotion had started with in themselves. Noah walked up to Tai and Abram, and had noticed that Abram was looking more than a little annoyed.

'Hey Abram you doing all good dude?'

Kareeah_Indaga
2019-05-02, 05:34 AM
Being rubbish with social cues, Tai did nothing to prevent herself being grabbed. A seam on her shirt let go with the pop of snapping thread, causing her sleeve to slide down her arm. Probably due to Abram’s now-uncontrolled powers and close proximity.

"Change me back right now!"

“Why, what’s wrong?” Tai blinked at Abram-now-Bridget. It was obvious enough even she could tell Bridget was distraught, so now Tai only had to puzzle out what kind of distraught. “Abram said you were upset, would you like to talk about it?”

Tai’s tone was probably better suited for talking to a friend about their bad breakup than talking them out of homicidal rage, but even if Professor Grey had chosen that moment to go snooping in Tai’s head, she would have seen Tai was perfectly sincere in her concern.

JeenLeen
2019-05-02, 09:38 AM
As Tai gives more confirmation than intended, Abram tries to tell her to wait, but winds up just vocalizing in Bridget's voice and body. It comes out a tad louder than intended.

With a bit of confusion getting his (her?) bearings, he responds to Ava as he calms himself down.
"Um, yeah, Ava, no problem. I... well, I figured this might happen, but didn't expect it so suddenly. Probably best to undo it, but I think I'm okay for now."

If shifted back to his own body, he enters the debate area, trying not to touch anything electronic.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2019-05-02, 02:12 PM
"Huh?"

Timmy runs back out with the rest of the group and tries to ascertain what's going on based on hurried dialogue and juxtaposed mannerisms. It's kind of funny, really. Everyone is always worried about Ava's mutation because no one understands it, but Tai's has been far more disruptive even though we understand it just fine.

His eyes dart between Tai, Abram and Bridget for a moment. "Tai, it might be easier to talk about her emotional state when she's not also trying to cope with someone else's sex hormones."

Kareeah_Indaga
2019-05-02, 04:51 PM
"Tai, please undo the switch."

Tai looked mostly puzzled, but Ava had asked nicely even if no one seemed to be able to make up their minds, so Tai finally replied with an “Okay!”

((SWAPPING Bridget with Abram again. Everyone should be back in their own bodies now.))

"Tai, it might be easier to talk about her emotional state when she's not also trying to cope with someone else's sex hormones."

“But why would that make a difference? She’s not having sex right now,” Tai pointed out logically.

Nap Captain
2019-05-02, 05:57 PM
"Tai, it might be easier to talk about her emotional state when she's not also trying to cope with someone else's sex hormones."

“But why would that make a difference? She’s not having sex right now.”

"I'm having WHAT right now?!" Bridget exploded as she returned to her own body. She continued to bristle, almost hoping that Tai would switch her again and give her a reason to really fight the girl, but instead she remained irritatingly naive to the issue. Bridget was hardly going to fight an innocent girl after all.

Finding her anger stymied by Tai's nonchalance, Bridget realised she was at a loss as to what to actually do next. She was just so used to people fighting her back...

Jumbus
2019-05-02, 08:43 PM
"Change me back right now!"

Coming to a quick realization that it was not in fact Abram in there. Noah was calmed a bit it explained the strange behavior and the situation was under control as long as they didn't mind swap someone like Bridget. He stood back knowing the situation was probably under control.

Noah hadn't really got to know many of the other students taking the trip with him. Often secluding himself in the forest only coming out for classes he didn't know many student in the school for that matter. So he wasn't about to start getting on their bad side by interrupting here. That was until "I'm having WHAT right now!?". Noah put in a nice fake closed lip smile and took a depth breath in before a long sigh. He had better get his weakening spores ready, better the crowd be in a nice mid day nap than burning. He approached Bridgette's location but exercising caution he would only use his powers in a crowd of mutant skeptics if it was complete necessity.

JeenLeen
2019-05-03, 07:55 AM
Abram-Bridget starts to say something to Ava and Timmy: "So..-" and now he's back in his own body.

He gives a confused look at those around him, trying to figure out exactly what's happened with him while he wasn't there. But ends up with a goofy smile and his hand behind his head. "So, everything turn out okay here? I guess we should head into the debate."

It's fun to try to figure out how to write about experiences. "what's happened with him while he wasn't there". Reminds me of trying to do time-travel talk about things that had already happened in the future, if not nearly as confusing.

Kaworu
2019-05-03, 01:32 PM
Professor Jean was watching you with a peculiar expression. She was also holding her head as if she had a migraine – who knows, maybe she truly had. She closed her eyes too, letting the sounds of various decisions and actions to come to her behind the curtain of her eyelids.

- Easy, easy – she tried to get a hold of the situation. Goodness, was she so troublesome as a teenager too, or is there something wrong with the current generation? - Tai, it’s good to have your own powers under control and it’s also fun to use them, but not on subject that aren’t willing, remember? We covered that, right? I know, you are socially challenged, but still, ask participants before acting, okay? Ava, I know you are afraid, but fear not, you are among friends, in a group of superpowered people and I personally will look to that that no one will hurt you when you are with me. Bridget, for Pete’s sake, please, control your anger. I know, I know, easier said than done, but it is supposed to be a discussion, academic discussion within a university. How are you supposed to participate if you will get all emotional? - said Professor Grey. She took a deep breath and opened her eyes, seemingly with an effort – Is that all? And at least we can agree to take part in this endeavor, right? Or maybe are there some more issues that need to be addressed?

JeenLeen
2019-05-03, 02:54 PM
Telepathy is strange, thinks Abram, followed by a touch of embarrassment at realizing that the professor might be reading that thought.

"I'm ready, professor. I think as long as I avoid getting too close to the AV equipment, I should be fine."

Kareeah_Indaga
2019-05-03, 06:34 PM
Professor Grey was using her Disappointed Voice though Tai wasn’t entirely sure why; Abram had specifically asked her to use her powers. Maybe this was a review? Teachers did that a lot. Nodding seemed like the sort of thing people did in this kind of situation, so that was what Tai did.

Nap Captain
2019-05-04, 02:52 AM
Emotional? I'll show her emotional. Bridget thought grumpily, though even she was aware that that might be counter productive in this instance. Instead she crossed her arms and sulked whilst the others answered their professor's role call.

Ridai
2019-05-04, 04:55 AM
As the situation de-escalates, Ava breathes a sigh of relief, if a weary one. As she retrieves her phone from her fellow student with a little smile and thanks, and bends down to pick up the sleeve Tai lost, Professor Grey starts to... well, she assumes it was meant as a reminder and being a pedagogue, but it sounded like she was berating the girls, including Ava. She seems quite fed up. Being told not to be afraid briefly confuses Ava, until she realizes the Professor probably means her latent anxiety. In the weeks she has been attending the Institute, she has heard this a lot. I am trying, but I can't just decide to turn it off, I'm not a machine, Ava wants to say, but doesn't. She doesn't want that discussion in this place, with all those people around them already staring after the rather loud and potentially violent incident. Of course, though, Professor Grey is a telepath, so what Ava thinks might not be secret after all. Ava doesn't like to consider Jean Grey doing that without asking in a situation like this, still remembering when she had that "minor" demon messing with her mind, but also because she doesn't want to assume every telepath just reads everyone's minds as they please. That is putting an entire class of mutants under general suspicion for no good reason. That is exactly the kind of thing the anti-mutant crowd does.

So, Ava just says nothing to not agitate the Professor further, implicitly agreeing to take part in the debate. Right now, she wants to get away from all the staring eyes and out of the open. "Tai, let's get your sleeve fixed up. Abram, do you have needle and thread on you? I have supplies for stitching wounds, but fixing clothes with those is tricky." Ava doesn't look too comfortable right now, but she does her best to not let that affect how she talks to friends.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2019-05-04, 11:18 PM
Timmy's mind, as usual, has several speeding trains of thought running at once, some relevant and some not. Sometimes this leads to a unexpectedly brilliant revelation as the disparate thoughts coincide. More often, it just ends in a train wreck.

What? We should probably look up the precedent rulings in cases involving mutants. I didn't mean it like that! What would happen if we made a track team? What happened to her sleeve? The baseline chemical balance is different from boys to girls, especially teenagers in the middle of puberty. Mutant Rights has always been a weird concept. Chip clips, but no chips to clip them with. I can probably make a replacement microphone. Oh, right, Abram's mutation hits man-made textiles. The platform is too vague for it to mean anything. What if the bad guys suddenly show up right now? I don't know if that affects behavior too much, actually. I didn't think to bring my sewing kit. Being able to change people reversibly should make it a lot easier to study. Canada's registry has been decently successful so far. A ball of paper, a pencil, jam the cable into the eraser...

Needless to say, it's probably not worth the teacher's time and energy to constantly monitor Timmy's thoughts. He's no good at keeping secrets to himself anyway.

"I have an idea for a mike for you, Abram!" He pulls a couple components from his goodie bag. "I might want something for an antenna first so it can go wireless... While we're doing that, is anyone else debating first who we could watch? Who are we supposed to talk to before joining? I didn't see a sign-up sheet."

Jumbus
2019-05-05, 01:25 AM
The matter being resolved Noah settled himself a bit. To the matter at hand if there is a debate going on he might as well grab front row seats he never really felt the need to debate these sort of people or more accurately he was safe in the thought that there were plenty of people who could debate the point much better so he would stay out of the fight as long as there are more capable people in the line to speak.

Orc on Shelf
2019-05-05, 04:20 PM
Cameron was a bit perplexed. It was all a simple set of precautions and it went drastically wrong. Worse, he couldn’t force himself to get a word in while the girls nearly came to blows. He certainly respected the way Ava handled it.

Teachers were always encouraging him to take more intitiative. Be bold. Well he tried, and look what came of it.

”I-I-I... I’m sorry e-everyone. It w-was m-m-my fault.”

He wasn’t even sure they heard his apology with his eyes downcast. He went to stand in the back of the group, hoping someone else would step in and he could hide in the back now.

Kareeah_Indaga
2019-05-05, 05:59 PM
”I-I-I... I’m sorry e-everyone. It w-was m-m-my fault.”

“But you didn’t do anything…?” Tai had been out of the immediate vicinity and spacing out over hair dye when Cameron had made the initial suggestion to find her, thus she had no idea why he was apologizing.

Orc on Shelf
2019-05-06, 01:42 PM
Cameron opens his mouth to reply, but stops short.

Then, even more frustrated at himself, for his weakness, he slowly closes it and looks away from his friend.

Instead he shuffles to the back of the group.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2019-05-06, 03:37 PM
"It's okay, Cameron! Did you see any paperclips for the microphone? Maybe a pushpin might look about right..."

Timmy reaches up on his tiptoes to grab a pin from a bulletin board in the hall and drops it in his goodie bag before heading into the theater.

Katarynier
2019-05-08, 01:59 PM
Gabe has stayed leaning against wall and watched whole quarrel. He was tall man with quite fair skin, thanks to her mother which ancestor arrived from Netherland. From father he inherited hairs red as blood and cold blue eyes. Actually he is armed only which trapper knife, more tool than weapon, but it was enough. At end of discussion he comes to Cameron. That young man was good hearted idealist. One of rarest kind of human race.
Its okay… Our team only need some time to learn… How to be team

Jumbus
2019-05-08, 09:21 PM
Being away from the group for a bit gave Noah sometime to reflect. If he was going to fit in with the team he needed to get more involved and join in, which wasn't necessarily his forte. Not the he was particularly poor in social skills but he just never had a great desire to form bonds with a great deal of people, especially when conflict could happen so easily. But for the sake of the team he had to try, Tai and Ava seemed like they could resolve the conflict much better than he would be ever be able to and they were new to the team just like him. Hearing Cameron's apologies over nothing showed that he was trying to do his best as well. I guess I'll try and get to know those three first Noah thought.

Kaworu
2019-05-09, 07:34 AM
So, after some thoughts and dubious actions, the group under leadership of Professor Jean went to the debate.

The building of Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences was very… humane. Citations of famous philosophers were hanging on the walls in clip frames, together with reproductions of paintings that showed scenes from ancient world and mythology. The overall impression was that the students and scholars there wanted to do some kind of counterculture to the more mainstream United States – history before novelty, thought above matter, “to be” instead of “to have”.

The room of debate club was found quite fast. It was a large, circular room with high ceiling and great acoustics. It had a lot of seats, about 200 of them, placed around the walls, facing each other in rows. It was kind of similar to the Coliseum – but of course, nobody died there.

The students of Institute sat down in a group, looking around curiously. The hall was full in 3/4. At the very center there was a small podium with a serious-looking young man behind it. He was waiting a few more minutes, but when it seemed that nobody else would come, he cleared his throat and began:

- Welcome everybody! My name is Jason Black and I will lead the debate. This is the Yay or Nay Debate Club, and today’s topic is… - he waited a second for better result – mutants’ rights.

- As we all know, the state of mutant’s rights is very diverse around the country, but of course, the things have improved for mutants in recent years. Our previous president was very liberal and made some changes in law that were welcomed by the mutant community. However, this presidency is behind us and new times are coming. The new president is not so open-minded and had sworn to “make mutants safe again”. Is it a good direction? Or maybe wrong? Should mutants have more rights, or should they be controlled? The opposition states that since we register who have access to guns, we should also register who have powers and can potentially use them to harm other. What do you think? Who is right? Let’s debate! - he finished, looking eagerly at the present folks.

JeenLeen
2019-05-09, 09:17 AM
With a deep breathe and a mustering of courage, Abram decides to speak. His dad often told him to strike first to get a good and strong position. Sure, that was advice for fighting in D&D and it didn't always work out well, but it felt right today.

Speaking loudly enough that his voice can carry without a microphone, he, with just a bit of nervous treble at the start, says, "Hello, Mr. Black. My name is Abram. I'm not a college student yet, but I'm interested in this college and would be glad to join this debate."

"I couldn't quite tell which was the Yea and which the Nay side, but I'd like to argue in favor of mutant rights. Mutants born in this country are citizens like any other, and should be afforded the freedoms, privacy, and rights of any other citizen. We don't track a strong person, or even a skilled martial artist, for the natural abilities inherent to their body, unless they've used their body for criminal acts. I don't think it is fair to do such to mutants, whose God-given bodies have different qualities from non-mutants."

With a confident but kind smile, he looks over the gathered crowd and towards his fellow students.

Orc on Shelf
2019-05-09, 01:48 PM
Coming out of his self imposed exile within his own mind Cameron listens closely as Abram speaks, nodding along in agreement.

It’s really quite simple. The Constituiton is pretty clear about citizenship.

These thoughts and Abram’s words comfort him, and he smiles broadly when Abram glances their way, hoping to be as encouraging as possible. Maybe this will be a short debate...

Dr.Gunsforhands
2019-05-09, 05:52 PM
"Sure, but it's kind of weird, right? Like, if you're born with guns for hands, should they still count as guns?" Timmy asks, somehow not realizing how unhelpful this is.

"What's baffling about the United States is that the groups that advocate mutant registration here are the same ones that oppose gun control. It's like they don't really care about violence as long as it's coming from somewhere that benefits the military-industrial complex."

Timmy pauses to gather his thoughts for a second. A lot of his mutant rights ideals and the way he talks about them are a reflection of his mother's general problem with authority, and he knows on some level how inconsistent his tone can be. He needs to start focusing on the strategy he originally had in mind.

"...but that's an exaggeration - an easy way to demonize an opponent without trying to understand what we're all really after. We all want to feel safe, right? And to the public consciousness, mutations are scary. But the fear doesn't really hold up scrutiny, and, um, the current plans to address it don't really make anyone safer. They only serve to ostracize a sizable segment of the population that already has enough trouble coming to terms with their place in the world."

Kareeah_Indaga
2019-05-09, 06:59 PM
Oh, this was something you had to understand people for. Disappointed, Tai ducked down in her chair and began studying the shoes of the people around her.

Nap Captain
2019-05-10, 01:23 AM
Bridget didn't miss the reference to "us" in the compère's speech, and she bristled accordingly. "Why don't we start taking away your rights Mr Black and see how you like it? Obviously as part of an academic experiment you understand."

Bridget causing drama again...

Can I use this to create an advantage like Mr Black sees red or something?

If so, I think it is forceful so [roll0] +2 (from approach). so -1 moving to +1 with the approach.

Katarynier
2019-05-10, 04:49 AM
When Gabe read citiations of famous philosopher smiled grimly. “Dreams of philosophers are nightmares for the rest”. So much references to antiquity look quite pretentious. Especially in capital of modernity.
He looked at Jean Grey. As most of other student he read her bestseller autobiography “50 shades of Grey”, where she describe her struggle of acceptance. For all mutants she is probably one that other people… Mundane and mutants fear most. Not because her pure power but because kind of her power.
But there are more potential dangers. He looked at the crowd watching any sign of armed maniacs, mutant instigators and others dangerous element. Probably security or their teacher do it before, but it is to important.
Then he join to debate.
We all are humans. Yes, I do not believe that mutants are different from the rest of humanity. There are people with powers, lesser or greater but nearly all people has a power, innate talent distinguish him from the rest. So work harder, other are great parent, and some have faith strong as mountain. Of course, there people that throw fireballs, but also there are other who can heal them. As one of my friends said, we cannot punish or register people for the skill innate or trained. For example Navy Seal can kill with his left thumb. But we do not forbade him to use his skill. It is America, nation where everybody can create his own destiny. If you have powers, that can help you with life or business, you should use it… And take full responsibilities for your deeds.

Jumbus
2019-05-10, 06:12 AM
Though mutant registration seemed pretty obvious to Noah considering the potential world ending power of some mutants, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely and all that. He had presumed that the Nay side of this debate would be wanting a lot more than mutant powers to be written down in some book. But since he didn't want to argue against registration nor argue for a side that wanted a bit worse than documentation he was split in the middle. Again. "Hey Tai and little dude" facing toward Timmy "I'm craving a nice glass of orange juice about now, you want me to get you two any drinks for the show?"

Kareeah_Indaga
2019-05-10, 04:01 PM
"Hey Tai and little dude, I'm craving a nice glass of orange juice about now, you want me to get you two any drinks for the show?"

”I’m bored, I’ll come with you.” No one nearby was wearing any interesting shoes.

Tai wriggled out of her seat and started making her way toward the exit.

Kaworu
2019-05-19, 11:41 AM
The audience seemed divided over the issue. Abram made some really good points and when he spoke, the murmur of agreement went through the crowd. However, when Timmy revealed his thoughts, everyone seemed to be a bit confused about both his views and their own.

- Well, mister – said one of the people, a lady in their mid-40s, kinda plump, with medium-long blonde hair and glasses – Of course, Constitution is clear on citizenship. However, I see two points you omitted. First, it’s not about citizenship at all. Everyone is a citizen of the United States, that much is known and nobody is gonna change that. But, we do not gather information on guns – or mutants’ powers – just for the sake of this information or to be a bully, you know? If a crime is gonna be committed, we can use forensic methods and gun registration to make it easier to catch the culprit. Yet, we do not assume that every gun owner is a criminal and there is no movement to change the law in that case. But, when we just wanna – just wanna gather and register some information on powers, that can be as much destructive if not more – then it’s a big fuss. Over what, exactly? Good mutants have no reason to be afraid, if they are not gonna commit a crime, they will not be in jail. But if mutant with, let’s say, ice powers will commit a murder, the registration – just registration, nothing more – will make is so, so much easier for the cops. You surely will agree, don’t you? - she asked.

- The second thing I see, is the whole “homo superior” propaganda. When mutants want it for the sake of making arguments, they are “just like humans”, just with superpowers. But other times, you hear them just as eagerly to claim to be “better” than us, more evolved, smarter, a “homo superior”. So I think it is finally time for them to decide to which species they truly belong – and let me make a point that all the rights written in our Constitution, legal system, UN documents – it all concerns homo sapiens and just homo sapiens. I mean, why should we tolerate people who do not ever hide their disdain towards us? Tolerance should work two ways, don’t you think?

This has gathered her some applause from a small group of young people sitting in a group, but generally there seemed to be more approval of X-Men arguments. However, the debate was still being hold.

At the same time, Bridget could sense watchful gaze of Mr. Black on her. He seemed to think of how to respond to her argument and she could tell he was angry at her, but was not sure if really much. Did she really wanted to antagonize the leader of the discussion against her? Maybe, she was more angry at him that he was on her, it seemed. But till now, it appeared that he was holding his tongue – and emotions.

~*~

At the time, Tai, Noah and Ava went out of the discussion room. They were bored and fancied something to drink. They have left the Humanities and Social Sciences building and were again in the open, with summer sun warming their faces. The weather was really good and it was so much more pleasant to be here than in the room, watching mutants-haters debating whether or not they deserved human rights.

- You know… - Ave begun in a small voice – I’m sorry. I ran again. There was so many people there, and I kinda… freaked. That something will happen just now. That the people would die because of me. That, I do not know, Magnetto will appear out of the blue and make some massacre on those poor humans just to get me. So I did run, right? But, uh… I am not alone, even if you two just wanted some drinks. And I am thankful, I really am, for your presence here, with me. I’m still anxious around crowds, but when I am with my friends, I feel a little bit better. So, uh… thank you. For being friends. And for being with me - she finished kinda shy.

JeenLeen
2019-05-20, 07:49 AM
Abram keeps his expression calm as he listens to the woman.

"Thank you for raising two good points. I'll respond in reverse order.

For the whole 'homo superior' thing," he says with some scorn in his voice for the propagandist term, "I think we need to divide what some mutants say from what is true. Almost every group, whether it's been race, sex, nation, whatever, has had some people in it that think they are better than others. And maybe sometimes they have power to back that up -- like better guns, or better tech, whatever. But that some people claimed that about themselves over others doesn't make it true. I'm sad and angry about mutants like Magneto who both act violently and spread hate like that. It doesn't help any humans, mutant or otherwise. But that doesn't make it true.."

Avoiding examples to keep steer of real-life politics.

He then tries to lighten it up with adding some humor to his voice and a smile to his lips.
"And, biologically-speaking, we're still the same species. I'm not a biologist, but I'm pretty sure non-mutants give birth to mutants and mutants can have non-mutant kids."

With a high sigh, he continues, "And power registration. I think part of it is that somebody chooses to buy a gun, understanding that means registration. Mutants don't have that choice. There's also the very bad recent past with the Sentinel program. I can understand mutants being hesitant to be registered, when just so recently if one ice mutant killed somebody, Sentinels might be sent to round up every ice mutant in the tri-state area. I never saw their work first-hand, but I saw the aftermath of them wrecking a mall or a public street, and I've heard first-hand stories."

He knows his argument here isn't exactly logical, but he speaks purely from the heart.

Kareeah_Indaga
2019-05-21, 07:41 PM
“It’s okay.” Tai patted Ava’s shoulder. “Does that mean you don’t want any orange juice? Maybe we can find you something else.” Tai looked around for something that might interest Ava.

4d3-8+2 to Cleverly Create the Advantage Look, a Convenient Distraction! I’m not sure if Savant Insight should apply or not?

Katarynier
2019-05-22, 12:31 PM
„Oh, that funny homo sapiens superior idea. In vast, cold and indifferent universe creeps creatures that see humans, as whole, as good source of food, fuel and labrats. May be they are right”. But Gabe smile and say.
- Law cannot be created in the assumption that civilians are criminals. Here, in USA we are the nation, and we choose administration, not government, and give her no more power that it need to exist. Registration act sound good, but you can imagine what politicians can do with such knowledge? For example they can collect, brainwash and send “mutants” against rest of humanity – he smiled warmly but look at the women with whole cold that he has in his veins.

Jumbus
2019-05-22, 07:29 PM
"I mean none of you need to get orange juice" Noah said "imagine if they just sold that it would be pretty wacky huh"

Kaworu
2019-06-01, 05:05 AM
Debate

- Of course, mutants have no choice – the plump woman agreed with Abram – But I do not think that changes anything at all, does it? For you see, they are still dangerous and I believe we should have some measure of control over them. Maybe their freedom is important, of course, nobody says otherwise – somehow, her tone of voice stated something different – but our security is much more important, don’t you think? The mutant register could give us at some leverage over them, cuz enforcing our assured future. And for them who are law-abiding, it should not be a problem, would it? I mean, it’s not about their lack of choices, it’s about our preservation!

However, her arguments did not strike with the audience. Some of the people, mostly the closed-minded youngsters around her, seemed to keep with her, but the general idea was that the mutants – even thought nobody knew who they truly were – have won the discussion.

- Hm, okay, we are running out of time – said Mr. Black – So, as we see, the debate about mutants is not only about race, power and difference, but at it’s most basic level an old question about balance of liberty and security. Which side of the debate should we stand? At one of the ends? If so, which ones? Or maybe something in the middle? It is a very deep philosophical question, since we cannot have both and let’s face it, both are very important, every one in it’s own special way. So obviously it raises diverse reactions. What’s important is to look at things with open mind… - he fell silent for a moment, giving the angry youngsters a condemning look - and at least attempt to understand each other and the whole picture. Which I hope this meeting was able to provide – he finished with a smile.

Then people started to go away, chattering loudly and reminding each other the finer arguments. Prof. Gray also stood up, looking at you all with pride and satisfaction in her eyes – Bravo. You did well. You have raised valid arguments, didn’t allow them to provoke you… mostly – she glanced briefly at Bridget – And maybe you have ever opened a few minds. I cannot express how happy I am with you.

Tai, Noah, Ava

- Well, I guess I could drink some juice… - said Ava, but almost at the same moment Tai saw a seller of ballons-animals. He was just making a ballon-doggie for a little girl – Oh, how pretty – said Ava – I know it’s kinda childish, but I like them a lot, you know? And origami, it’s nice too. Not only the shapes you can make from a simple forms, but mostly the almost infinite possibilities and the creative process. It’s like for a moment you are a true artist, limited only by your imagination and skills. And you can do anything at all. Doggie, crown, crane, elephant… I like the creativeness. It helps me calm down. Especially origami. Oh, I wish a had a sheet of paper and my books with patterns. I would like to make something right now. Is so… calming.

Kareeah_Indaga
2019-06-01, 06:55 PM
“I don’t know about your book, but I’m sure we can find some paper. I’ll go get some!”

Tai ran over to the nearest stall that was passing out flyers, grabbed one, ran to the next, grabbed a flyer from that one too, and on down the line.

JeenLeen
2019-06-03, 09:33 AM
Abram beams with pride at the professor's remark.

As the discussion dies down, he walks over to Mr. Black and offers him a hand -- albeit it keeping his distance overall from the person, lest he break a phone or other device.

"Mr. Black? Thank you for the chance to speak. Also, I was curious if you knew if this university had any mutant students or not?"

Abram hoped to get a better sense of exactly where Mr. Black was coming from, and to grasp better the attitudes of this university. Maybe he would come here once he graduated. After all, his power wasn't as good as Wolverine, Storm, or even Prof. Gray's when it came to fighting. Hmm... maybe the demolitions end of construction would be a good place. With more training, he could probably get to break down a wall with just a touch and a couple minutes' focus, and maybe he'll eventually learn not to break a cell phone or walkie-talkie.

Katarynier
2019-06-05, 01:54 AM
„The win… We win?”.
But it was Orly one bat tle, and not first nor last In their life. They will be debates, but also other, much more… serious fights. But, at the moment, they… we should be happy.
- So how we celebrate ours great victory? In cinema or restaurant?

Kaworu
2019-06-11, 06:24 AM
Post-debate

Mr. Black shook the hand of Abram.

- If I am correct there is no official mutant’s group in this university, but given it’s size and the laws of statistics, there should be some people. They could create their own official social circle, but did not do it yet – he answered the question.

Prof. Grey was still smiling. She looked at Gabe thoughtfully.

- Actually, we could celebrate – she said – I know a little, nice Italian restaurant not far away from there, they serve great pasta. Maybe we should paid the ma visit? You wanna pasta, dont’ you? - she winked at her students.

Outside

Ava stayed, looking at Tai searching for sheet of paper for her. She looked kind of anxious.

- Um… thank you – she begun uncomfortably – But… it will not work, you know? It would need to be of an exact square shape to begin with, those ale different. Plus it’s foiled paper, it would not fold easily. And the text and pictures would ruin the effect, even if I would be able to fold it. And I don’t have my book with me, so I cannot work with that – she explained – But of course I value your help, I’m grateful! - she added quickly – Just it won’t work for many reasons… - she finished quietly.

Then other students with professor Grey left the building. Professor was waving at you, so you came.

- We are going to a restaurant – she explained.

Ristorante “Pasta Italiana”

The restaurant your teacher have chosen was very nice. It had big windows through which light entered the inside. The tables were clothed with snow-white tablecloths and decorated with fresh flowers. Elegant waiters moved silently and gracefully between them, bringing people their choice of pastas and European wines. Three smaller tables were joined for the group, so everyone sat there comfortably. One of the waiter brought menus for the mutants.

- Lasagna for me, and a glass of un vino dolce – said the professor after looking into hers – And by the way – she added, looking at her students – What do you think of the university? Some of you will soon leave the Institute. You might chose something online and just live with us, I would be happy to keep you all with me, but that’s not always possible. This school is a haven, not a prison, I cannot hold you there against your will. If you want to live in the wider world, I have to honor that. So the university could be a big step in your education. What do you think of attitudes of the local community towards mutants? Would you like to study there?

JeenLeen
2019-06-13, 08:49 AM
Abram is glad Mr. Black seems cordial enough. It was hard to tell if he was someone with leanings like the Friends of Humanity before, but he seems decent enough.

---

At the restaurant, Abram sits in a corner so as to avoid getting too close to anyone's pocketed phones. He orders spaghetti.

To Prof. Gray's question: "I'm really not sure. I think I need to train more before I could really go to a university. I'm not dangerous, but it's certainly annoying and expensive, and I'm sure I couldn't sit in a crowded classroom or share a dorm easily, much less the stuff that requires a computer. So distance courses sounds nice, though just working at the Institute and postponing college while I train also sounds nice."

He doesn't vocalize -- though he supposes the professor might be reading his mind -- that he likes the idea of being an X-Man, but just doesn't think his power is useful enough to be good in a fight.

Kareeah_Indaga
2019-06-14, 09:37 PM
((At the restaurant…))

“I don’t think I’m normal enough to go to that university,” Tai responded conversationally. She browsed through the menu, trying to find something she hadn’t tried before and that sounded interesting. “I want to try the Frittura di cervello* and a ginger ale.”

((*And because almost every entry I’ve seen under ‘weird Italian food’ spells it differently, I’m going to clarify here: fried lamb brains.))

Katarynier
2019-06-15, 08:25 AM
Gabe order Gnochi with mushroom sauce. He has eaten them quite often when He lived in Argentina.
- University is great, but most students do not attend here because they want education, but because they need safe haven. I want to help other mutants not to study, and most of us will hide under largest stone they can found. Universities are not for us.
In his long life he try to attend to some universities, but always had better things to do.
Then he turned to Tai.
- What mean “normal” to you?

Kareeah_Indaga
2019-06-15, 10:08 AM
Tai blinked, as she thought the answer to that was obvious. “People who understand people.”

Katarynier
2019-06-16, 01:36 PM
Gabe Smile sadly.
- People don’t understand people. Some… Many wars started because people don’t understand each other. In other hand, there are people, that understand other better that they should. Like my oldest sister Klest. Of course I know, what do you mean, but people are simpler than they though and more complicated than they should.

Kareeah_Indaga
2019-06-16, 03:40 PM
Tai spent a moment thinking Gabe was warning her against going to university on the basis that it might start a war before realizing he was just philosophizing as usual.

“How do you understand someone better than you should?” she queried.

JeenLeen
2019-06-17, 07:41 AM
Abram raises an eyebrow at some of Gabe's speculations. He was an unusual one.

But it's nice hearing him and Tai talk, so he continues to listen.

Katarynier
2019-06-18, 11:59 AM
Gabe stared ahead
- If you understand other people to much you know all they weakness and sins. Is hard to belive in humanity, when you know even greatest of human are so… pity. And you have temptation to use all than knowledge to improve your own life, to achieve your own goals… To use it against them

Kareeah_Indaga
2019-06-18, 06:31 PM
“That sounds very sad,” Tai replied sincerely. “But aren’t you generalizing too much?”

Kaworu
2019-06-20, 09:26 AM
As Gabe and Tai were talking to the silent appreciation of Abram, a figure went to the restaurant. Is was a young man dressed in weird, brown-dark robes, reminiscing a medieval monk. It even had a hood that was now resting on top of his head. The figure had a pamphlets in his hand and moved towards eating people. As X-Men were the biggest group, he went to them first.

- Good day to you, lady and children – he said in a coarse voice – Would you like to spread Good News about our Lord and Saviour? - he continued, totally not seeing how rude it was. Professor Gray raised her eyebrows, but spoke no word.

JeenLeen
2019-06-20, 09:33 AM
Abram was religious, though he usually kept it to himself, but even he found this gaudy. He looks over to see if the restaurant staff are having any reaction to the oddly-dressed fellow, then looks to Prof. Gray.

She can read minds, so if this is anything... more than just a weirdo acting weird... she'd know. But perhaps politeness would be the best way to defuse the situation, let Prof. Gray assess it, and get Abram ready to strike if needed. At the best, it at least keeps the fellow from bothering others.

Abram stands up and offers the man his seat. "Would you like to sit, sir?" while giving a cautious eye to Prof. Gray. Is he safe? Are you reading this thoughts?, he thinks at her, just in case she's in his mind at the moment.

Kareeah_Indaga
2019-06-20, 07:05 PM
Tai tilted her head curiously at the strange man, taking in his robes, his haircut, what she could see of his pamphlets, his expression, his shoes…

[roll0]-6 and +2 on top of that from Savant Insight to discover a hidden Aspect. Let’s see what this guy is hiding!

“I don’t think the Lord would like it if I skipped classes for that,” Tai responded matter-of-factly, “No one else does.”

She didn’t think she was qualified for that anyway; she only went to church sporadically. (For some reason people had minded when she interrupted the sermon to ask questions, although the nice pastor at the most recent one had told her she could ask as many as she liked as long as she waited until after the service…apparently it was her timing that had been the problem.) And she seemed to recall you had to be a boy…

Katarynier
2019-06-23, 07:43 AM
- I don’t generalize. People who really understand are unnatural thing – has said, but weird walked into restaurant. His family and religion… There is no place for faith for those, who meet things from myth and legend. Of course, not all his family is like that. His sister Txala is self proclaimed templar knight and his brother Dao has become Buddhist monk beforevhe was lost at journey at the Forbidden Plateu of Leng but serving any supreme power was generally against their very nature.
- God bless you - answer Gabe

Kaworu
2019-06-25, 05:57 AM
Professor Gray responded to the thoughts of Abram.

- He seems normal at the first glance. I did not do a deep scan of his thoughts, it would be rude, and besides, I do not think there’s a reason, but his surface thoughts and emotions seems alright. Some devotion, fire of faith, too much certainty in his beliefs… just a regular kind of religious weirdo. No need to violate his privacy – she assured her student.

- Oh no, I cannot sit with you – answered the man – There so much to be done, so many souls to save… the Good News will not spread far and wide by itself, it needs me, their agent! - he said.

At the moment, Tai was thinking rapidly. It was hard to get this guy, but was he hiding something? Tricky, tricky… she would need more time to spend with him and get the chance to crack him. Just a few statements was not enough to get the general idea.

- God Bless you! The Time is near! - shouted the follower and went to other tables, giving away his pamphlets.

Professor Gray looked at one of those he left with them. It depicted an atomic mushroom-cloud, with big words “TRESPASSERS, REPENT FOR YOUR SINS! THE FINAL HOUR IS UPON US! ONLY IN HIS DIVINE MERCY WILL YOU FIND YOUR REWARD!” Below it was the name of the cult – The Divine Church of The Last Days Witnesses.

Professor passed you the pamphlet, looking bored – Another cult of the end of times… - she concluded

As a GM, I allowed myself to decide that a few exchanged words is not enough to use the Savant Insight. Maybe if Tai would have some kind of power fact… ;)

JeenLeen
2019-06-25, 07:47 AM
As the strange man walks off, Abram gives a nod towards the professor, acknowledging her mental responses.

He then picks up the pamphlet to read through it. Mainly to check that this organization/church doesn't have anything that'd be problematic for mutants in its overt theology. The X-Men, or their students, didn't need another fringe group targeting them, or religious zealots thinking they're some mark of the end times.

Katarynier
2019-06-26, 01:21 PM
Gabe looked at hi. He was quite weird so he cannot be catholic priest. At least, he cannot be monk. Knowing his luck, he is probably Sataka cultist or Seven Lato Acolyte, or Yog Sototh sorcerer. It cannot mean anything good.
- Can I escort you to exit?

Kareeah_Indaga
2019-06-27, 03:57 PM
Tai was distracted from the perusal of the pamphlet when she was made aware that she had a call. After a bit of awkwardness and an apologetic look at Abram she got away from the table and on the phone.

“Hello?” Most of the other side of the conversation was inaudible to anyone nearby, but the look of surprise on Tai’s face was obvious. “Yes, I can babysit. Right now?” Tai looked over at her classmates, trying to figure out if this was one of those things she would get into trouble for and decided it probably wasn’t. “Yes I think that would be okay. Okay, I’ll be there soon!”

Tai remembered to wave goodbye to her fellow students on the way out.