PDA

View Full Version : Assassin From The Next Edition! [Eberron]

Afgncaap5
2019-04-30, 12:03 PM
In an Eberron game, my players have become the targets of a ruthless dwarfish aristocrat who is, naturally, hiring thugs, monsters, and mercenaries to stop them. I wanted an "expert assassin" boss fight, but something something action economy something like every other assassin.

Even with the options presented for assassins in 3.5 and with giving the assassin two-ish more levels than the average player level, there's kind of a "seen one, you've seen 'em all" sort of issue with assassins. So I wanted to play up the Mark of Shadows and give it some unexpected shadowy powers and I hit on the idea of bringing in some of the Thuranni Shadow Killer powers from the 4e Eberron Player's Guide since they do a good job of sowing confusion and reducing the capabilities of players.

Think it'd be viable? Or am I playing with fire?

Troacctid
2019-04-30, 01:05 PM
You're the DM. I say do what you want.

Afgncaap5
2019-04-30, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm just always worried that I'll accidentally make something too powerful and wind up with a dead party but I suppose there's no real harm in trying to throttle things up or down on the fly if it's too much.

the_david
2019-04-30, 02:08 PM
Maybe this can help. (https://theangrygm.com/return-of-the-son-of-the-dd-boss-fight-now-in-5e/) It's intended for 5e, but it should work for 3.5.
You can also try some stuff from the Book of 9 Swords. I'm not familiar enough with that stuff to help any further though.

Zaq
2019-04-30, 02:10 PM
The exact numbers aren’t going to translate, but TSK is a pretty inoffensive paragon path. Assuming you make necessary adjustments to account for the basic mechanics, I don’t see anything in the path being horrifyingly broken in a 3.5 environment.