PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Arcane Tricksters

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-30, 03:59 PM
When I'm about to do a dive into a new rabbit hole of 5e, I like to add one post, and come back to it once I've done some reading.

The rabbit hole I'm about to explore is the Arcane Trickster.

To better understand this archetype and it's abilities I'm thinking about making a 5-level character progression.

I'm thinking about a gadget and magic-pellet using controller, that darts across the battlefield, making life generally miserable for his opponent.

I'm not as excited about the minor illusion, silent image part of the whole deal, but I do enjoy the hold person and suggestion part. I can imagine him not being manipulative normally, but will use 'truth serum' and suggestion pellets to make affecting his enemies easy to manipulate. I honestly just prefer high-wisdom characters over high-charisma characters.

Booming Blade appearantly is a must, and Tasha's Laughter is just amazingly flavorful and useful. What other 1st Level Spells would fit the bill. I'm especially overwhelmed with the "any school" options. I'm guessing I can retrain a single spell at level up, right?

Multiclassing is not allowed, but I can take levels in a sidekick class. Do you think it's worth the spells and magical recovery to take two levels in Spellcaster. If yes, at what levels do you usually Multiclass out of Rogue? Should I maybe rather just stick with the rogue. We rarely campaign above level 10, if ever.

What other must-haves come with the AT?

I have a large selection of homebrewed Feats. What kind of effects benefit me the most? Mobility, defensive, combat or utility oriented effects?

I'm gonna throw something together, and then come back and see how badly I misunderstood this archetype xD

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-30, 04:08 PM
When I'm about to do a dive into a new rabbit hole of 5e, I like to add one post, and come back to it once I've done some reading.

The rabbit hole I'm about to explore is the Arcane Trickster.

To better understand this archetype and it's abilities I'm thinking about making a 5-level character progression.

I'm thinking about a gadget and magic-pellet using controller, that darts across the battlefield, making life generally miserable for his opponent.

I'm not as excited about the minor illusion, silent image part of the whole deal, but I do enjoy the hold person and suggestion part. I can imagine him not being manipulative normally, but will use 'truth serum' and suggestion pellets to make affecting his enemies easy to manipulate. I honestly just prefer high-wisdom characters over high-charisma characters.

Booming Blade appearantly is a must, and Tasha's Laughter is just amazingly flavorful and useful. What other 1st Level Spells would fit the bill. I'm especially overwhelmed with the "any school" options. I'm guessing I can retrain a single spell at level up, right?

Multiclassing is not allowed, but I can take levels in a sidekick class. Do you think it's worth the spells and magical recovery to take two levels in Spellcaster. If yes, at what levels do you usually Multiclass out of Rogue? Should I maybe rather just stick with the rogue. We rarely campaign above level 10, if ever.

What other must-haves come with the AT?

I have a large selection of homebrewed Feats. What kind of effects benefit me the most? Mobility, defensive, combat or utility oriented effects?

I'm gonna throw something together, and then come back and see how badly I misunderstood this archetype xD

The Arcane Trickster's main function is the fact that they have an invisible, telekinetic hand that is as dexterous as they are. You can now safely unlock that trapped door from 30 feet away, risking no threat to your life. Personally, I used it all the time to steal stuff in crowds. Even if you get caught, all they'll see is their object, floating in midair. One of my favorite tricks was to cast an illusion of a static object on a table, and then stealing it as soon as the target turned around (easily done if I'm talking to them while their back is turned. Scoop the object around a corner for me to pick up 30 seconds later, leave behind my illusion for the next minute, and make a clean getaway.

You don't need Booming Blade on an AT. It has some good synergy, but it's not required, especially if you plan to primarily be a caster/ranged attacker. If your Dex is much higher than your Intelligence, you'll get more value out of Booming Blade than most AT's.

For your free spell, I'd take Fog Cloud. You'll be able to create your own obscuration and Hide in it every turn.

For feats, I really can't stress Ritual Caster enough. It'll get you access to Find Familiar, Unseen Servant, Magic Mouth, and a lot of other spells that would add to your non-combat utility.

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-30, 04:33 PM
Funny, the mage hand is actually the part of the class that intrigues me the least xD
I'll mostly try to use it in a way that can be reflavoured as "gadget"

Can I tell my DM that "i'm constantly true striking myself" during exploration? Essentially forgoing one cantrip selection for a "You have advantage on your first turn in combat" feature? I do like the slippery melee gadget batman type vibe i'm getting from this subclass.

I do like fog cloud ^^
I'm hoping to nudge in the direction of utility and controller, and fog cloud is definitely helpful in many different scenarios.

I'm looking at a fairly squishy PC, should I take 1st level in Warrior sidekick, for all the sweet proficiencies and extra HP at level 1? We are doing "double HP at level 1, half HP per level", so I'd go from 16 to 20 HP at level 1.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-30, 04:37 PM
Funny, the mage hand is actually the part of the class that intrigues me the least xD

Can I tell my DM that "i'm constantly true striking myself" during exploration? Essentially forgoing one cantrip selection for a "You have advantage on your first turn in combat" feature? I do like the slippery melee gadget batman type vibe i'm getting from this subclass.

I do like fog cloud ^^
I'm hoping to nudge in the direction of utility and controller, and fog cloud is definitely helpful in many different scenarios.

I'm looking at a fairly squishy PC, should I take 1st level in Warrior sidekick, for all the sweet proficiencies and extra HP at level 1? We are doing "double HP at level 1, half HP per level", so I'd go from 16 to 20 HP at level 1.

If the Mage Hand isn't something that you see yourself using, I wouldn't recommend the class at all. You'd get more value out of something like Bladesinger Wizard, Eldritch Knight, or Draconic Sorcerer than you would from the Arcane Trickster. Heck, you could be a Swashbuckler with Magic Initiate and that'd be really close to what you're looking for.

sophontteks
2019-04-30, 05:21 PM
What your describing sounds more like a thief, who can use items as a bonus action. This would benefit your use of various gadgets the most. You don't seem to be very big on the main features of an arcane trickster.

Contrast
2019-04-30, 05:34 PM
Can I tell my DM that "i'm constantly true striking myself" during exploration? Essentially forgoing one cantrip selection for a "You have advantage on your first turn in combat" feature?

That isn't how True Strike works. Of course how True Strike works makes it terrible so...

You need to nominate a target and get advantage on your next attack against them. If you nominate yourself as the target you would get advantage on any attacks you make against yourself :smallbiggrin:

Digimike
2019-04-30, 05:41 PM
If you want a consistent source of advantage take Find Familiar as your any school spell. Use it's help action for advantage.

The hand is amazing.

Caster enemy? Steal their component pouch.
Archer enemy? Steal their arrows.
Need a party member up and cleric out of spells? Bonus action give em a potion.
Need to run? Bonus action tie their boot laces together.
Don't want to carry a 10' pole in the dungeon? Use the hand.

The possibilities are awesome.

TheUser
2019-04-30, 08:59 PM
The mage hand is icing on the cake that you will learn to love. People discouraging you from playing a subclass because you haven't developed an appreciation for one aspect you haven't even experienced...? Are we serious?

Hardest part is feats. Spells become pretty self evident especially after level 9 when you get magical ambush.

Mirror Image interacts with Sentinel and opportunity attacks apply sneak attack damage; very potent arcane trickster combo at level 7+

Elven Accuracy is amazing on Rogues since all your damage is usually gated by one attack getting triple advantage is both very useful and very easy.

Haste at 13 is also excellent since it gives the opportunity to double up your sneak attacks; 1 haste attack on your turn and use your standard action to ready an attack against an enemy over a very trivial but very likely circumstance. When your readied attack triggers that's able to apply sneak attack dice again.

Sharpshooter later on is extremely important since long distance applies disadvantage which disrupts sneak attack.

Someone offered magic initiate with a bunch of wizard spells as advice? Sounds like a waste of a feat to me. Especially when Bladesinger is so accessible and powerful as a multiclass (You mentioned multiclassing was off the table?). Fog Cloud sounds good on paper until you remember is blinds you while inside and everyone else in the area. Cool for hiding but disrupts advantage (your bread and butter tool for consistent damage especially with elven accuracy).

Booming blade is pretty terrific. It lives up to the hype.

Shuruke
2019-04-30, 09:07 PM
Charm person can be fun as an out of combat
And with magical ambush can be lot of fun.

On my A.T I really enjoyed colorspray and at level 19 still have it on my list and have gotten great uses with it

Chronos
2019-04-30, 10:28 PM
Wait, Color Spray? All that does is blind creatures, and only for a single round. It's far inferior to Sleep, even if it does affect slightly more HP worth of creatures. Now, Tasha's, there's a first-level spell that never goes out of style.

Grek
2019-04-30, 11:57 PM
Seconding getting a familiar. Not only does it give you advantage in combat by distracting people, it can do scouting and open doors for you. Plus they're just cool.

Bjarkmundur
2019-05-01, 04:13 AM
I'm warming up to the Mage Hand

Here's how we're looking so far. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GIoj-wk1hHDb75GGnpxyzWz7S1guxcHMFHSfopaywB0/edit?usp=sharing)
Don't mind the houserules.

Digimike
2019-05-01, 05:31 AM
I'm warming up to the Mage Hand

Here's how we're looking so far. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GIoj-wk1hHDb75GGnpxyzWz7S1guxcHMFHSfopaywB0/edit?usp=sharing)
Don't mind the houserules.

I'd give summon familiar more consideration over jump. The level 1 any school spell can only be retrained to an enchantment/illusion by RAW if you decide you don't care for Jump.

AT's can Excel at exploiting the action economy with a familiar as well which is something to keep in mind.

If your DM hates familiars I'd take Shield. TBH I have both on mine with a Magic Initiate Feat (Shield, Green Flame Blade, Prestidigitation) and have zero regrets. MI gives the additional spell slot for one of my most used spells (shield) anyway.

I got the impression you're looking to dual wield from that character sheet. As a halfling you're missing out if you're going for that. Once you have the mobile feat save that bonus action for hiding behind party members. Otherwise, before you have mobile, use that bonus action to disengage.

Why? If you took the booming blade cantrip they'll proc the damage if they chase. If you're clever you may set up AAOs for team members as well.

Most of your damage is Sneak attack and possibly weapon cantrips. I found it best to just make sure you land that one attack every round and use those bonus actions for something more useful or self preservation.

Bjarkmundur
2019-05-01, 05:57 AM
I'd give summon familiar more consideration over jump. The level 1 any school spell can only be retrained to an enchantment/illusion by RAW if you decide you don't care for Jump.

AT's can Excel at exploiting the action economy with a familiar as well which is something to keep in mind.

If your DM hates familiars I'd take Shield. TBH I have both on mine with a Magic Initiate Feat (Shield, Green Flame Blade, Prestidigitation) and have zero regrets. MI gives the additional spell slot for one of my most used spells (shield) anyway.

I got the impression you're looking to dual wield from that character sheet. As a halfling you're missing out if you're going for that. Once you have the mobile feat save that bonus action for hiding behind party members. Otherwise, before you have mobile, use that bonus action to disengage.

Why? If you took the booming blade cantrip they'll proc the damage if they chase. If you're clever you may set up AAOs for team members as well.

Most of your damage is Sneak attack and possibly weapon cantrips. I found it best to just make sure you land that one attack every round and use those bonus actions for something more useful or self preservation.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.
I'm only using dual weild at level 1.
Did you read what I wrote under Jump?
I'm definitely looking at MI

Digimike
2019-05-01, 06:08 AM
I agree with you wholeheartedly.
I'm only using dual weild at level 1.
Did you read what I wrote under Jump?
I'm definitely looking at MI

I did and it looks fun, but those any school spells are so prescious and rare. I'd take a semi permanent source of advantage and sneak attack over that.

Karnitis
2019-05-01, 10:30 AM
To echo someone else, are you sure you want to play an AT?

Now, when I played one, I did so purposefully as a social/RP character, but I also think that's part of how it was built. The schools they get are Enchantment and Illusion - some are damaging spells, but majority are control/utility. Rogues in general are utility. Sneak Attack (Rouge's main combat ability) is given as a class, not subclass so you get it whatever you choose. If you want to zip around hitting things, I'd suggest Swashbuckler. Still pick up Magic Initiate if you really want the spells.

Zuras
2019-05-01, 10:58 AM
Remember that you are a Rogue with a couple of magic tricks, not a primary caster, so offensive spell casting isn’t going to be very effective (relative to Sneak Attack) till you get Magical Ambush.

You will be stuck with 2 to 3 first level spells per day till you are 7th level. They can make a big difference if you learn Disguise Self and take Expertise in Deception, but the save or suck spells are dicey. Casting a Tasha’s with a DC 13 at 6th level isn’t exactly a power move.

My Arcane Trickster mostly used Minor Illusion, Mage Hand and a familiar to improve on their typical Rogue activities. The spell slots ran out pretty quick after a couple of encounters.

strangebloke
2019-05-01, 11:09 AM
High Elf to grab booming blade.

use a rapier with booming blade or a hand crossbow past level 5. Before level five use a pair of short swords or a hand crossbow. Actually the short swords are arguably better even after level five.

mage hand to steal/pick locks/disable traps at range. You can also use it to tie a rope at the top of a wall, or to break alchemist's fire as a distraction or to free captives from stealth. (so that when the fighting starts, the captive s can run immediately.)

fog cloud is a solid unrestricted pick. So is find familiar.

shadow blade is pretty great at higher levels, and its an illusion spell!

As a feat, ritual caster is better than magic initiate if you don't care about the cantrips.

When you can get it at later levels, haste is amazing. Attack with the Haste action, then ready an attack with your normal action to get sneak attack twice!

Sentinel is a great feat for rogues. You can get sneak attack twice!

Elven Accuracy is great if you have a familiar or some other means of getting advantage (like hiding.) Probably the best pick for your level 4 ASI since you can push your 17 to an 18

Keravath
2019-05-01, 11:25 AM
Arcane trickster is a fun class to play. You are primarily a rogue with some extra tricks provided by the spells.

First, decide if you want to be primarily ranged or melee. Ranged rogues are awesome and if they can generate advantage they can always sneak attack whether they have an ally adjacent or not. Melee rogues really need something like the mobile feat to allow them to move in and out of attack range since their AC is typically too low to stand toe to toe (unless they add some levels of blade singer for the spells and abilities).

In either case, one of the best spells to take is Find Familiar. The familiar can be used as a scout, as an extra pair of eyes and ears, can perform some tasks and can perform the Help action in combat to give you (or one of your team mates) advantage on their next attack. This works exceptionally well for a rogue that will typically only have the one attack anyway.

There are several tricks to obtain advantage:
- using your bonus action to hide then take the attack action with advantage. You need to have a wall/tree/other cover or something else to hide behind for this work but all you need is to be out of sight of the target you want to hide from. Taking expertise in stealth is a critical aspect of this strategy.
- have your familiar use the help action to grant you advantage on your next attack (this can be DM dependent depending on how they typically place familiars in the initiative order). Owls have the fly-by ability so they can fly in, perform the help action and then fly away somewhere safe without suffering an opportunity attack.

Depending on your class/spells there are other options:
- devils sight + the darkness spell for warlocks
- darkness spell cast using spell points for a shadow sorcerer
- greater invisibility
- faerie fire

In the longer term, do you want to take enough levels in another class to obtain extra attack? (Warlock 5, Fighter/paladin/ranger/monk 5, bladesinger 6). Extra attack gives you two opportunities to land a sneak attack.

---

As for dipping, 2 levels of warlock can be very useful since with devils sight you won't have disadvantage on perception checks in the dark. This lets the rogue find traps or notice things just as well in perfect darkness as they would in bright daylight. Darkvision is not as good since you will have disadvantage on perception checks in the dark (since it only becomes dimly light with darkvision). The second invocation is up to you but early on, if you go to warlock 3 pact of the blade, then improved pact weapon can be very useful.

The blade singer dip can also be very good since it also increases the spells you know as well as giving access to wizard ritual spells and the blade singer features which can be very useful for a melee rogue with good intelligence.