PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Question about mounts

Calemyr
2019-04-30, 04:06 PM
I've been invited to join a 5e campaign. 10th level, fairly high power.

The character I'm envisioning is a warlock, but one that operates less as an adventurer and more as a travelling merchant that can get stuff done. He'll have a wagon and an animal to pull it. The question is as to the nature of the animal. I want something that can serve as sort of a pet to the guy (basically, the one good thing in his day-to-day life), but also not be rendered obsolete as soon as he joins the party.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what would fit that bill that would be reasonable to ask for at tenth level? The DM's a fairly generous and amiable guy, but I'm not a ranger, druid, or paladin. This isn't about a class feature, so I want to be reasonable in my request.

JackPhoenix
2019-04-30, 04:20 PM
Rendered obsolete how? If its not a combat mount, the combat statistics propably won't matter, and the ability to haul large amount of stuff is always useful.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-30, 04:20 PM
The Mule is a pretty mundane creature, notable for the fact that it's a Medium creature with Beast of Burden, which causes them to lift things as if one step larger.

In this case, make it a Mule that's been exposed to magic. It's actually a Large creature. Not good for anything but carrying something REALLY heavy. It's an interesting enough effect for a party to get a lot of mileage out of it, but not that overpowered of a request.

I might require you to take the Pact of the Chain, making your Mule your choice of familiar (as it's some kind of weird Mule-Fey Hybrid thing). That way you can bring it back if it ever dies.

Calemyr
2019-04-30, 05:17 PM
Rendered obsolete how? If its not a combat mount, the combat statistics propably won't matter, and the ability to haul large amount of stuff is always useful.

Obsolete as in "infinitely more likely to die pointlessly than contribute in any meaningful way on our adventures".

The Mule is a pretty mundane creature, notable for the fact that it's a Medium creature with Beast of Burden, which causes them to lift things as if one step larger.

In this case, make it a Mule that's been exposed to magic. It's actually a Large creature. Not good for anything but carrying something REALLY heavy. It's an interesting enough effect for a party to get a lot of mileage out of it, but not that overpowered of a request.

I might require you to take the Pact of the Chain, making your Mule your choice of familiar (as it's some kind of weird Mule-Fey Hybrid thing). That way you can bring it back if it ever dies.

Funny you should mention that, as the Fae figure very heavily in the plot, apparently to the point that the party has established their own Fae court.

The DM got back to me and suggested a war or draft variant of the axe beak, as I do have a soft spot for chocobos, paired with an apprentice who could use the bird/wagon to continue my business interests when adventures take us where roads aren't relevant.