PDA

View Full Version : Your advice, please

Tor the Fallen
2007-10-03, 03:49 PM
I'm running a campaign with a fighter, wizard, and cleric. They're level 4, going on level 5, and gain about a level every 2 sessions (so every two weeks). We're playing 3.0 core, with updates from the SRD (so no extra actions with haste, etc).

A rogue player will be joining soon.

The wizard's player is a former WoW player, first time D&D'r, WoW's his only experience of 'RPGs'. The kid is extremely logical, thoughtful, and has an excellent eye for optimization. He's the perfect wizard, and his personality is pretty wizardish. Hyper intelligent, detached, weighs his options, cautious. So his roleplaying isn't as bad as it could be. It's actually fairly decent. I'll have to keep an eye on him, though.

The fighter's player is a terrific roleplayer, likes hitting things, doesn't mind suboptimal builds, but grins big when he cuts something in half with an axe. Of course, as a straight fighter, he's going to begin contributing less and less to combat over the next few weeks. Also, being so gear dependent, he's at a severe disadvantage while in the field as he can't turn his loot into a magic item that will keep him from getting tripped/bullrushed/etc.

The cleric is geared towards buffing the party, which I don't mind. He's a gnome with 8 strength, so he'll be easy to toss around. I'm not too worried about him being underpowered- he can tweak his strategy with spells if he finds himself wanting to hit things more often, and spend less time casting bless. The cleric's player isn't much into optimizing, though he likes effective builds, and he likes to roleplay, even if he's a little quiet.

The soon-to-be rogue player is also into WoW, has played a little D&D. He'll probably go straight rogue, though he may be interested in assassin or shadow dancer, or maybe even arcane trickster. I'm pretty sure he'll understand the goodness of skill points + TWF sneak attack, and play a perfectly good rogue.

Now, that's all background. I'd like advice on how to keep the fighter on par with a smartly played wizard.

I've said I'll let him use TLN's http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30692fighter fix, which he liked.

I think it will do a good deal to keep him mobile in battle, and let him maintain battlefield control (or at least not controlled). However, I'm also worried about it being a little too good- he could overshadow the cleric or rogue.

Your thoughts?

RandomNPC
2007-10-03, 03:56 PM
the occasional big strong monster equipped with some kind of portable anti-magic aura. it only works once before they call you on nerfing the wizard, but if the wizard has an arch-nemisis there you go, adventure arc where the wizard keeps going: fighter! please kill that for me!

note that the anti-magic aura dispells weapons and whatnot to, so keep an eye out for high DR critters you might not be able to take out without a magic slashing weapon or something. my group still hasn't figured out that a magic bashing weapon would rip a lich apart....

Tor the Fallen
2007-10-03, 03:58 PM
the occasional big strong monster equipped with some kind of portable anti-magic aura. it only works once before they call you on nerfing the wizard, but if the wizard has an arch-nemisis there you go, adventure arc where the wizard keeps going: fighter! please kill that for me!

note that the anti-magic aura dispells weapons and whatnot to, so keep an eye out for high DR critters you might not be able to take out without a magic slashing weapon or something. my group still hasn't figured out that a magic bashing weapon would rip a lich apart....

That would work, if it wasn't a long term campaign. One battle vs. the 5 or 6 they do every session, over a whole year? It's similar to me going, "uhh, you find a +5 flaming vorpal sword, and the wizard finds a few scrolls of... sleep."

I'm looking for long-term solution.

kemmotar
2007-10-03, 04:01 PM
since he's a good RPer give him some extra chances to use it, side quests he can go on with the party and get good rewards, give him slightly more useful loot. A simple choice(since you want mobility) is chronocharm of the horizonwalker(swift action, move up to you move,1/day,900gp) though i don't know if there are swift actions in 3e...

Also what are your feelings towards TOB?

Could you describe the build of your fighter?giving him more interesting abilities enhancing his build could be better than a vorpal sword and easier to give to him since the other players wont protest that you're overpowering or prefering him over the others.

Tor the Fallen
2007-10-03, 04:09 PM
since he's a good RPer give him some extra chances to use it, side quests he can go on with the party and get good rewards, give him slightly more useful loot. A simple choice(since you want mobility) is chronocharm of the horizonwalker(swift action, move up to you move,1/day,900gp) though i don't know if there are swift actions in 3e...

It's core only.
I'm looking for a non-item solution. I want loot to be something everyone can enjoy, not something where the other three characters watch the fighter unwrap birthday gifts.

Also what are your feelings towards TOB?

It's core only, he already has his character made, with about a month of investment in it. So doing ToB is pretty much out of the picture. Completely, forever.

Could you describe the build of your fighter?giving him more interesting abilities enhancing his build could be better than a vorpal sword and easier to give to him since the other players wont protest that you're overpowering or prefering him over the others.

Human fighter 4: power attack, cleave, weapon focus, improved initiative, and quick draw. He switches between a composite longbow, greataxe, and sword and board, depending on scenario. He also throws axes. The character's a lumberjack, or was a lumberjack, before he took up adventuring.

Staunch follower of Kord. It's rare that I see non-caster classes spend time roleplaying devotion to a deity.

A set of mithral fullplate, and an animated shield will be necessary, me thinks. I'd just like it if the treasure I rolled would be more useful to him than to the wizard or cleric. Finding a +2 sword and a +2 axe doesn't do as much good for casters who find a couple scrolls; both scrolls can be used effectively. Their effectiveness stacks. Weapons are an either/or proposition.

Person_Man
2007-10-03, 04:35 PM
You could let the Fighter take the Ancestral Weapon feat from Book of Exalted Deeds. I know that its 3.5 and you're playing in 3.0 Core Only, but it a great fix for his equipment problem. Basically, the feat allows you to sacrifice gp or magic items to improve your ancestral weapon on a 1 to 1 basis (rather then having to go back to town, sell items for 50% of their base price, and then pay someone to upgrade your weapon). If you're worried about other players not getting their fair share, you can give it to every player as a bonus feat.

Another option is to simply tell the Fighter to use a reach weapon, Combat Reflexes, and Cleave. Then for combat encounters, use mobs of weakish enemies with class levels of Rogue and Hexblade. He'll have a hugely fun time slicing through them. The Wizard will still be useful, but he won't be able to dominate combat with area of effect spells thanks to the enemy's Evasion and Mettle. The Rogue can have fun flanking or sniping from afar. The Cleric can buff and summon.

A third option is to tell the Fighter to use the Mounted Combat tree with Power Attack and a lance two handed from horseback. Then make most encounters outdoors. That will keep his damage output competitive at every ECL.