PDA

View Full Version : UA Multiclass

Ihazturtlez
2019-04-30, 09:13 PM
Everyone posts multiclasses for their campaigns, but they hardly ever mention multiclassing with UA classes, and I've kinda been wanting to try one out. Anyone have any suggestions or characters they have tried before using a UA class and multiclassing it?

Aett_Thorn
2019-05-01, 05:50 AM
Everyone posts multiclasses for their campaigns, but they hardly ever mention multiclassing with UA classes, and I've kinda been wanting to try one out. Anyone have any suggestions or characters they have tried before using a UA class and multiclassing it?

Well, keep in mind that UA isn’t really balanced with multiclassing in mind, which is usually why people on the boards are a bit hesitant to suggest it.

Also, most of the more balanced stuff that we’ve seen in the UAs has been put into published stuff, such as Xanathar’s Guide. Really the main UA that are left are Mystic (which is a bit OP even without multiclassing) and Artificer. Both are Int-based classes, meaning that the more powerful combos don’t really work with them too well (such as Paladin/Artificers).

Multiclassing Artificer/Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster would work, though, taking it more martial or skilled, respectively. With Mystic, it really depends on which Order you go with.

DarkKnightJin
2019-05-01, 07:09 AM
Personally, if I get to play anything from UA or 3rd party/homebrew, I don't multiclass at all. Mostly because I want to see what I'm playing is capable of on its own.

Sure, you can toss in some Wizard or EK/AT levels on an Artificer.. But then you're missing out on some Artificer goodies. And I want to experience as much of those as I can during the time I'm getting to play one.

Imbalance
2019-05-01, 08:00 AM
I'm on the verge of this, maybe. Pretty sure the DM will be cool with it, so I'm tempted to add a level of mystic to my level 6 fighter and see how it goes. This is much more heavily influenced by RP and campaign events than any desire to optimize, and the official class options don't quite come as close to the concept under development as the UA does. I have to decide and run it by him this week.

strangebloke
2019-05-01, 08:09 AM
The only ua that are still unpublished are either horrendously overpowered or just really wonky, and the good ua is not balanced around multiclassing.

Digimike
2019-05-01, 08:13 AM
The only UA that appeals to me at all is the artificer. The rest have been balanced and published or are stupidly overpowered.

I'd feel like I had a total overpowered fake character if I used the Brute or Lore Wizard.

No DM in their right mind would even allow them.

Vogie
2019-05-01, 08:31 AM
Raven Queen Warlock is a fairly unique one. RQ is to Chain Pact as Hexblade is to Blade Pact, where you could grab a 1-2 levels of it (depending if you want invocations & an extra spell slot, or not) and still feel like you've really dived into warlock, with your raven Faux-miliar, eldritch Blasts and a Short rest spell slot. Sorcerers and Paladins probably benefit the most, as they can use the spell slot for Sorcery Points and Smites, respectively

The UA Spore Druid is a better subclass than the Published one due to damage types

Arkhios
2019-05-01, 08:33 AM
As was said upthread, new classes introduced via Unearthed Arcana have not yet been balanced for multiclassing — the developers have said as much themselves in those documents — unless specifically mentioned otherwise, as is the case with the most recent iteration of Artificer. To me it seems to be an invitation for players to experiment with multi-classing as well as single-classing an Artificer.

Spiritchaser
2019-05-01, 08:35 AM
It’s a bit off topic, but some comments in this thread virtually compel me to raise the scout fighter UA.

Balanced and fun, not too complex but still interesting, with interesting choices to make, this is probably my favourite fighter (or maybe second after EK, tough call there).

It’s also just fine MC’d, at least as far as I’ve seen so far.

Even with a rogue MC it’s not over the top.

I lament the fact that it never saw print officially... but it’s fine at my DM’s table, and at mine, so...

Trustypeaches
2019-05-01, 12:49 PM
The Artificer seems balanced for a multiclass.

It's like a bit better version of the Fighter dip for Wizards, trading heavy armor and a fighting style (and martial weapons, I guess) for 2 more INT-based cantrips and (1+INT) spells from the Artificer list, including gems like Cure Wounds, Guidance, Sanctuary, and Shield of Faith.

Otherwise, I feel like Artificer 1 could be a very strong dip for Eldritch Knights to pick up Arcane Weapon, Ritual Casting, and some other spells and cantrips.

Arkhios
2019-05-01, 01:06 PM
The Artificer seems balanced for a multiclass.

It's like a bit better version of the Fighter dip for Wizards, trading heavy armor and a fighting style (and martial weapons, I guess) for 2 more INT-based cantrips and (1+INT) spells from the Artificer list, including gems like Cure Wounds, Guidance, Sanctuary, and Shield of Faith.

Otherwise, I feel like Artificer 1 could be a very strong dip for Eldritch Knights to pick up Arcane Weapon, Ritual Casting, and some other spells and cantrips.

If only they'd fix the 1st level, because it gets rather wonky when you are an eldritch knight 4/Artificer 1 (or so I've gathered), assuming Artificer follows the same rules for multiclassing as paladins and rangers.

GlenSmash!
2019-05-01, 02:48 PM
It’s a bit off topic, but some comments in this thread virtually compel me to raise the scout fighter UA.

Balanced and fun, not too complex but still interesting, with interesting choices to make, this is probably my favourite fighter (or maybe second after EK, tough call there).

It’s also just fine MC’d, at least as far as I’ve seen so far.

Even with a rogue MC it’s not over the top.

I lament the fact that it never saw print officially... but it’s fine at my DM’s table, and at mine, so...

Amen. It's my favorite 5e class bar none. Oh I could use some shenanigans to multiclass it into the best Grappler possible, but grappling is limited anyway so there is no fear of OPness there either.

My current DM didn't allow UA for this campaign, but I may try to negotiate for the Scout Fighter in the next one.