PDA

View Full Version : Thinkamancer build

HamsterKun
2019-04-30, 10:38 PM
How would I build a character similar to a Thinkamancer from Erfworld?

EDIT: Here’s a link to what Thinkamancy is: https://wiki.erfworld.com/Thinkamancy

Galithar
2019-04-30, 10:40 PM

Start by explaining to those of us that don't know what that is, what the basic concept is?

Monster Manuel
2019-05-01, 01:17 PM

EDIT: Here’s a link to what Thinkamancy is: https://wiki.erfworld.com/Thinkamancy

Short and unhelpful answer: you can't. The casters in Erfworld are all much more powerful and versatile than their counterparts in D&D, the Thinkamancers especially so, and you won't be able to do many of the things that they can in the comic.

Longer and slightly more helpful answer: First and foremost you'll need at-will telepathy. Your best bet would be to take some levels in GOO Warlock. The telepathy, plus the ability at higher levels to create a Thrall gives you some mind-control flavor that works as a Thinkamancer. Being granted your powers by an unknowable, otherworldly intelligence could be flavored to say that you get your powers from the Great Minds, especially after Isaac went all cosmic.

The mechanics of how Warlocks cast spells really doesn't mesh with the whole "casters use juice" mechanic from Erfworld. So, you'll probably just want a dip into Warlock, just enough to get the Telepathy and Eldritch Blast to reskin as your Hoboken. and take the rest as another type of caster. The obvious choice is Enchantment wizard, but, again, the spellbook mechanic doesn't really work. I'd probably go with Sorcerer, with a preference for selecting Enchantment-type spells. While thinkamancers aren't exactly healers, I think the Divine Soul sorcerer gives you some interesting options to swipe some relevant cleric spells (Command comes to mind quickly, I imagine there are others). There's a variant rule in the DMG about replacing spell slots with spell points; if you could convince your DM to allow that, you'd feel a lot closer to an Erfworld caster with Juice than a Vancian D&D style caster with fixed spell slots.

You could mimic the whole perfect memory/thought trees with the Keen Mind feat, even though there are far better choices from an optimization standpoint.

Race-wise, there are elves in Erfworld, but they're nothing at all like the elves as a player race in D&D. You could probably pull off a shadar-kai from Mordenkainen's as a Transylvitan, but you won't get the at-will flight, so your best bet is just to go straight-up human.

But, all that said, there are some things you just have to resign yourself to not being able to do within the structure of the 5E game. The mind-link trances are out. No remote string-cutting (maybe you can simulate that with a heightened Finger of Death spell, though).

Hope that gives you a few things to consider.

Analytica
2019-05-02, 08:35 PM
Mystic from UA.