PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Paladin Subclass: Warborn

Mada
2019-05-01, 01:45 AM
An MCU Thor inspired Paladin Oath.

Currently not 100% on the flavour and I think the damage on some of the features might be a bit high.

Any input would be appreciated!

Oath of the Warborn
Sacred Oath for D&D 5e.
The Oath of the Warborn is a path taken by those who are bred for battle. A warrior is not a bloodthirsty cutthroat, they are a defender who combines their mind and body to fight battles that others cannot. The warborn are a force of nature, literally, who command the powers of the skies to defeat their foes in battle. Sometimes they are called Storm Knights, Stormbreakers or Thunder Warriors. They fight with purpose and remain and asset to the people who rely on them to be defenders of their civilizations. Many who swear to this oath also swear to gods of war and law, seeking to protect kingdoms and civilizations from unruly threats.

Tenets of the Warborn
Though the interpretation of the Warborn philosophy can be made for many representing good, evil, chaos and law, these tenets must be followed to be worthy of their power.
True to a Cause: Your cause is your power; you must uphold it with your life.
Restraint of Power: Your power is great, but bloodthirst is unseemly. Know your battles and how to fight them. Violence is not always a first solution.
Confidence not Hubris: You should understand and respect your strength, as well as that of those around you. You are mighty, not superior.
Shield before Sword: Your cause is one that can be broken, you must seek to defend it before striking those who would assault it. If your attack would lose what you hold dear, it is folly.

Oath Spells
You gain the oath spells at the levels listed.

Paladin Level
Spells

3rd
Fog Cloud, Thunderwave

5th
Gust of Wind, Shatter

9th
Fly, Lightning Bolt

13th
Ice Storm, Storm Sphere

17th
Control Winds, Maelstrom

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following channel divinity options.
Storm Field: As an action, small sparks of lightning crackle off your body and fingers. For the next minute, any time a creature within 30ft of you takes Lightning or Thunder damage, they take additional damage equal to your Charisma modifier.
Warriors Resistance: As a bonus action, a small but rapid field of wind swirls around your body. For the next minute, any damage you take is reduced by your Charisma modifier.

Warborn Armoury
From 7th level, any melee weapon you wield gains the thrown property. The range of the weapons are 30/50ft, after throwing a weapon as an attack, it returns to your hand regardless if it hits or misses. You may use your Divine Smite feature if you successfully hit an enemy with a thrown weapon. Additionally, when you use the Divine Smite feature you may choose to deal Lightning Damage instead of Radiant Damage.

Rabid Storm
Beginning at 15th level, the range of your storm field extends to 60ft. Additionally, when you invoke your storm field, any creature who ends their turn within 15ft of you takes 2d6 lightning or thunder damage, your choice.

Lightning Smite
At 11th level, when you gain the Improved Divine Smite feature, you may choose to have the damage be radiant or lightning on each attack.

Storm Breaker
At 20th level, you may take an action to become a herald of storms. Stormy clouds fill the skies within a 1mile radius of you, thunder echoes across the sky and rain begins to fall.
For the next minute, you gain the following benefits.
- You have a flying speed of 60ft
- All of your attacks deal additional lightning damage equal to your charisma modifier.
- Once per round, as a bonus action you may call a bolt of lightning down upon an enemy within 60ft of you. The target must make a dexterity saving throw vs your spell save DC or take 2d10 lightning damage.
If you are underground or inside a structure, clouds do not form in any room with a ceiling lower than 50ft. The storm still rages outside while you are invoking this feature. Lightning will still strike while inside as though it was forming from the ceiling.

MagneticKitty
2019-05-01, 12:06 PM
I like the flavor of it. Since it doesn't use a specific weapon, maybe the returning feature is based on electro magnets? Would be cool to see other magnet like ability.. But is straying from Thor a bit at that point.

Not sure on balance.. rabid storm feels a bit strong. Especially combined with sentinel. And 60 ft feels really large for guaranteed damage (maybe add a dex save)
Although maybe frying all allies within 60 ft is enough to balance it.. seems hard to use in that reguard.
Maybe it only procs once per creature then they are immune? (ie. lightning doesn't strike the same thing twice)

Warborn as a name seems ok.. I think stormborn would be better.

Mada
2019-05-02, 07:41 AM
I like the flavor of it. Since it doesn't use a specific weapon, maybe the returning feature is based on electro magnets? Would be cool to see other magnet like ability.. But is straying from Thor a bit at that point.

Not sure on balance.. rabid storm feels a bit strong. Especially combined with sentinel. And 60 ft feels really large for guaranteed damage (maybe add a dex save)
Although maybe frying all allies within 60 ft is enough to balance it.. seems hard to use in that reguard.
Maybe it only procs once per creature then they are immune? (ie. lightning doesn't strike the same thing twice)

Warborn as a name seems ok.. I think stormborn would be better.

Thanks for the input!
I'll tweak it a little, my friend said I can run it for Storm King's Thunder!
I was thinking off stuff, Stormborn never occurred to me!

Arkhios
2019-05-03, 03:35 AM
At glance it's not that bad, actually.

Although, 11th level addition to Improved Divine Smite is both a little unorthodox and frankly unnecessary in my opinion. It's far from uncommon to be able to add several different damage types for one damage roll.

For example, Flame Strike deals radiant and fire damage, and Destructive Wave deals Radiant and Thunder Damage.

As an always active feature, Improved Divine Smite could remain as is, dealing extra radiant damage as normal. That you can choose to deal lightning or thunder damage with the expendable Divine Smites it should be enough, because they'll still get added together.

Besides, Radiant is far more superior damage type than Lightning or Thunder as it's the second only to force as least resisted damage type.
Coincidentally, letting one change the Divine Smite's damage type from Radiant to Lightning or Thunder is actually a slight nerf, so it's rather alright.

Mada
2019-05-03, 03:38 AM
At glance it's not that bad, actually.

Although, 11th level addition to Improved Divine Smite is both a little unorthodox and frankly unnecessary in my opinion. It's far from uncommon to be able to add several different damage types for one damage roll.

For example, Flame Strike deals radiant and fire damage, and Destructive Wave deals Radiant and Thunder Damage.

As an always active feature, Improved Divine Smite could remain as is, dealing extra radiant damage as normal. That you can choose to deal lightning or thunder damage with the expendable Divine Smites it should be enough, because they'll still get added together.

Besides, Radiant is far more superior damage type than Lightning or Thunder as its the second only to force as least resisted damage type.
Coincidentally, letting one change the Divine Smite's damage type from Radiant to Lightning or Thunder is actually a slight nerf, so it's rather alright.

Fair. Asthetically I just prefer the asthetic of lightning to holy damage especially when the whole theme is storms so it was actually a selfish late-addition haha

Arkhios
2019-05-03, 03:42 AM
Fair. Asthetically I just prefer the asthetic of lightning to holy damage especially when the whole theme is storms so it was actually a selfish late-addition haha

But that's where you're in error. Radiant ≠ Holy.

Mada
2019-05-03, 03:43 AM
But that's where you're in error. Radiant ≠ Holy.

Asthetically I prefer lightning to radiant damage.

Arkhios
2019-05-03, 03:56 AM
Asthetically I prefer lightning to radiant damage.

If I may, and I don't mean to annoy you, but consider this: Lightning produces light as well (it's literally part of the word). Radiant is basically light-based damage. Imagine a blindingly bright flash of lightning (that deals both radiant AND lightning damage).

Note: I'm 100% with you that Lightning is aesthetically perhaps the most awesome elemental phenomenon. But, honestly, radiant works just fine with lightning hand in hand.

Mada
2019-05-03, 03:57 AM
If I may, and I don't mean to annoy you, but consider this: Lightning produces light as well (it's literally part of the word). Radiant is basically light-based damage. Imagine a blindingly bright flash of lightning (that deals both radiant AND lightning damage).

Note: I'm 100% with you that Lightning is aesthetically perhaps the most awesome elemental phenomenon. But, honestly, radiant works just fine with lightning hand in hand.

I'd still rather death by plasma burns over aggressive skin cancer.

Arkhios
2019-05-03, 04:00 AM
I'd still rather death by plasma burns over aggressive skin cancer.

Radiant isn't same as radioactive either.

Radiant, the word, definition(s):

Adjective: sending out light; shining or glowing brightly.

Noun: a point or object from which light or heat radiates, especially a heating element in an electric or gas heater.

My point is, that these words are not made up. All words mean something.

Mada
2019-05-03, 04:01 AM
Radiant isn't same as radioactive either.

Radiant, the word, definition(s):

Adjective: sending out light; shining or glowing brightly.

Noun: a point or object from which light or heat radiates, especially a heating element in an electric or gas heater.

I think I never want to play a game with you.

Arkhios
2019-05-03, 04:05 AM
I think I never want to play a game with you.

Oh come on, what are you, 5 years old? :smalleek:

My point is, that you seem to have erroneous idea of what radiant means.

Just because the word radiant has four same letters as radioactive doesn't mean they're the same thing.

Mada
2019-05-03, 04:06 AM
Oh come one, what are you, 5 years old? :smalleek:

My point is that, you seem to have erroneous idea of what radiant means.

Just because the word radiant has four same letters as radioactive doesn't mean it's a same thing.

No I just really dont give a damn and you seem like a guy who will stop the flow of a game to argue jumping rules.

Arkhios
2019-05-03, 04:18 AM
No I just really dont give a damn and you seem like a guy who will stop the flow of a game to argue jumping rules.

You know what. Fine. It's seems painfully obvious that you are the type of person who, once having formed an opinion about something, refuses to accept they might be wrong sometimes.

What I'm doing is providing constructive criticism. If you refuse to accept and understand that, I can't help you.

Mada
2019-05-03, 04:21 AM
You know what. Fine. It's seems painfully obvious that you are the type of person who, once having formed an opinion about something, refuses to accept they might be wrong sometimes.

What I'm doing is providing constructive criticism. If you refuse to accept and understand that, I can't help you.

I'm happy to change my opinion.
Telling me the 11th level feature is unwarranted is constructive critism.
Nitpicking the definition of radiant damage is not being constructive is just that, nitpicking.
I didn't mind you just seemed very keen to tell me how wrong I am in the game that is home to interpretation.

Arkhios
2019-05-03, 04:34 AM
I'm happy to change my opinion.
Telling me the 11th level feature is unwarranted is constructive critism.
Nitpicking the definition of radiant damage is not being constructive is just that, nitpicking.
I didn't mind you just seemed very keen to tell me how wrong I am in the game that is home to interpretation.

But it's not just nitpicking. Yes, it's that too, but more importantly, it's pointing out an error in your thinking. And that's criticism, just as much as I was pointing out an error in that there shouldn't be an additional subclass feature at 11th level, where no other paladin subclass gains one.

Constructive criticism is the process of offering valid and well-reasoned opinions about the work of others, usually involving both positive and negative comments, in a friendly manner rather than an oppositional one.

I showed you valid facts that support my point. But no, you start a childish tantrum in a similar manner to "nuh-uh, I won't play with you because your opinion is based on dumdum facts", because you only saw it as a negative comment, since it was different from yours.

I never gave you "an ultimatum" that you'd have to change your opinion about what Radiant should or shouldn't be. I only offered an alternative way of seeing it. Obviously, you make the decision yourself, should you want to. But reacting like you did, that was unnecessary.

For what it's worth, I still think your homebrew is solid, and balanced (except where I already noted). I'd give it 9 out of 10, really.