PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever lost your sense of taste before?

Setra
2007-10-03, 04:04 PM
Because I have.. it's very annoying.

Everything is pretty much tasteless, only defined by texture and whatnot, it's very odd, but very annoying when you haven't had Soda in a while, and while you have some now you can't taste it.

Dihan
2007-10-03, 04:06 PM
I haven't, but I know someone who's anosmic, and thus can't taste anything.

Trog
2007-10-03, 04:07 PM
Only after eating my ex's cooking. *rimshot*

Totally Guy
2007-10-03, 04:17 PM
Sometimes I break my pallette if I buy a bag of sweets or something, liquorice allorts maybe. Then instead of limiting myself to a tiny portion per day.. I end up eating a lot more then it seems to make everything taste bad for a while afterwards. This effect is more noticeable with vegetables. I very rarely have fizzy drinks in the house because it's not worth the flavour trade-off in the long run.

I think this property is why it's hard to sell apples alongside junk food.

Brickwall
2007-10-03, 04:23 PM
If I burn my tongue, it makes pizza or hot chocolate less fun, but it goes away before the meal is over.

phoenixineohp
2007-10-03, 04:28 PM
Ugh, burning your tongue. I hate that! I know better than to try to drink the hot chocolate, but it's cooled for a while so I test it and-ARGH! Now it all just tastes like dead tongue cells. >.<

eidreff
2007-10-03, 05:02 PM
Burned tongue cells, hmm, sounds tasty..

I'm a regular eater of boiled sweets and mints. I think I may be addicted to menthol. I have noticed that after a few too many of these the mouth gets either a bit cut up of even the most tepid of water burns like fury.

but still the minty freshness....

topher
2007-10-03, 06:58 PM
Only after consuming an excessive number of sour patch kids. But they taste so good it's impossible to stop.

ForzaFiori
2007-10-03, 07:22 PM
only if i have either burned my tongue or eaten a heck of alot of sour things recently.

Cyrano
2007-10-03, 07:34 PM
Nope.

You people have to stop asking yes or no questions without a "No D'anna disclaimer!" Sneaky breakage of 10 char limit!

reorith
2007-10-03, 07:35 PM
i licked a frozen pole once. that kinda killed my ability to taste partially cuz i did it twice. once to do it, twice to prove i did it by taking a picture.

Jack Squat
2007-10-03, 08:02 PM
I've burnt my tounge a few times. Most of the time (like today) it doesn't last more than an hour or so, however I really hate the times when I drink something hot and then not be able to taste for a week.

Normally it's worth it though. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....homemade hot cocoa...*drools*

heretic
2007-10-03, 08:14 PM
My sense of smell is almost gone. Related to taste, but I can still taste things.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-10-03, 08:37 PM
If I burn my tongue, it makes pizza or hot chocolate less fun, but it goes away before the meal is over.

Ah, yeah, I to belong to the "to test how warm this piece of food is, I'll stick it in my mouth", often after I join the "Ah, it was scalding hot, I can't quiet feel my tongue anymore" group. How do you make a skunk stop smelling? Put a peg on it's nose!
Besides that though, bad colds sometimes make me loss a tad of my smelling senses. I just got to stop hanging around Pestilence.

PhallicWarrior
2007-10-03, 09:00 PM
My tongue is mostly scar tissue, because I have a penchant for foods so spicy or sour that they really shouldn't be consumed in mass quantities. I have also burned my tongue with the intent of seeing if the food is still to hot to eat.

I can't test them with my hands because they've been frostbitten so many times they're no longer an accurate judge of temperature...

stupid Renaud's syndrome...

Nasrudith
2007-10-03, 09:11 PM
Not really but I have had a completely numb tongue, (dental surgery), it was hard to drink at first when I could not feel anything.

Em Blackleaf
2007-10-03, 09:20 PM
I hate how Novocaine's effect takes forever to go away and it's hard to eat and drink.

Well, I haven't, but I have burned my tongue, so I couldn't taste anything for a while, and I've had cases were something like the smell of bleach sticks around in my nose, and everything tastes like bleach. :smallyuk:
The first time that happened, I was worried about what might have been in my water! :smalleek:
Also, when I have a stuffy nose, and I can't smell anything, all I can taste is bitter, sour, and sweet. :smallannoyed:

Raiser Blade
2007-10-03, 09:28 PM
I burned my tongue before and all i could taste was pain.

It doesn't taste that good.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-10-03, 09:35 PM
Sure thing, usually have a really bad cold every year or so that destroys my sense of taste.

The worst one I got when I was around 16. I lost probably 80% of my sense of smell and taste and it never recovered.

Every now and again though all of a sudden its like my nose clears and I can smell bugs nearby, people, food from houses a mile away. For maybe 10 seconds its like I've gone canine. Then it fades away. So I'm thinking I probably have something up in the sinus area that if removed would allow me back my senses.

Penguinsushi
2007-10-03, 09:49 PM
I once decided to taste a red fresno pepper I was using while preparing spaghetti sauce. This was a bad idea. I couldn't taste anything else for about 45 minutes.

Unfortunately, since the capsaicin was overloading my taste receptors, I was unable to tell what the sauce actually tasted like - particularly with respect to its spiciness... ...which had the side effect of causing me to make it *much* more spicy even than I usually do.

~PS

Setra
2007-10-04, 02:34 AM
Sure thing, usually have a really bad cold every year or so that destroys my sense of taste.

The worst one I got when I was around 16. I lost probably 80% of my sense of smell and taste and it never recovered.

Every now and again though all of a sudden its like my nose clears and I can smell bugs nearby, people, food from houses a mile away. For maybe 10 seconds its like I've gone canine. Then it fades away. So I'm thinking I probably have something up in the sinus area that if removed would allow me back my senses.
Maybe you should try to get a cat scan or something?

On a positive note I have gained a small portion of taste back, and can now taste my precious *sips soda*

Serpentine
2007-10-04, 03:00 AM
Usually the main symptom of the migraines I get is numbness in various parts. In one especially weird bout, first the tip of my nose, then my lips, then my teeth and eventually my tongue went completely numb. That was... odd.

North
2007-10-04, 03:22 AM
Well there was a point in time that I liked "For Better or For Worse" ...

The Orange Zergling
2007-10-04, 03:29 AM
I've had a lot of mouth-related... injuries? Inflictions? I dunno the term. But never lost my taste before...

EDIT: But I do have really bad allergies, and so sometimes I can barely taste anything, but it is still there.

Fri
2007-10-04, 08:57 AM
I burned my tongue before and all i could taste was pain.

It doesn't taste that good.

Those sentences greatly amuse me for some reason.

Hephaestus
2007-10-04, 06:55 PM
Yeah I lost my sense of taste once or twice. Found it hiding in the breadbox couple weeks later. Good times. Peanut Butter and Ham sandwiches for all.

Last_resort_33
2007-10-05, 01:47 AM

I know kinda what you mean... my sense of smell is normally terrible, but particularly if I sneeze, every now and again, I get a few seconds of perfect clarity. it's dead weird. At that point I usually decide to go for a shower.

Silverpearl
2007-10-05, 11:52 PM
Early 1990's. Two words-- NEON SPANDEX....oops, wrong taste....

sktarq
2007-10-06, 03:20 PM
Every time I eat any peppers (bell peppers jalapenos etc not the berry of the pepper tree), curry powder, cilantro, wasabe, or annis.....Every time I eat any of the above ingedients in any significant amounts (varies by exact food source) I won't be able to taste anything else for hours....worse than actually loosing your taastebuds which I've done via having gotten complications of pneumonia that messed with my salivary glands plus the thing whipes your nasal passages clean of anything usefull too.....As for the best way I think it had to be my friend who messed up in learning to breathe fire (it went in....lung punctued in 5 places....lotsa medical attention....couldn't taste jack for months....still can't really)

Xerillum
2007-10-06, 04:51 PM
Once, from an accidental stinkbomb leak. Ate through my gloves, too. And I lost my smell.

Pyre
2007-10-09, 01:23 PM
Burned my tongue before, badly.

And after brain surgery.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-09, 02:04 PM
My sense of taste occaisonally dulls, but never disapears entirely.

I may be a supertaster but I haven't had such things checked.

On a nonserious note: From how people dress in the "You" thread, this forum shows a sincere lack of taste.

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2007-10-10, 08:25 PM
I normally have severely impaired smelll due to nose blockage.
I sometimes lose my taste after eating too much tabasco sauce (I practically live on capsaicin). When I do, however, my nose clears and I can smell almost everything.

Nibleswick
2007-10-11, 12:16 AM
Me, I've always been tasteless:smallbiggrin:

I just had to say it, I couldn't resist any longer.