PDA

View Full Version : Explosive spell feat and line spells interaction

lolcat
2019-05-01, 12:51 PM
As in the title, how does that interact?

The metamagic feat Explosive Spell states that "An explosive spell ejects any creature caught in its area to the nearest edge of its effect and knocks the creature prone if it fails its saving throw against the spell. ".

So how does that work, if at all, with line-spells? the "nearest edge" is just the next field to the left or right, so any push back and damaging effect etc. can never happen with that area shape, or am i misunderstanding it?

Thanks for your insight!

Raishoiken
2019-05-01, 01:45 PM
I feel like it may be kind of weird to adjudicate. If i get blasted in the chest with a lightning bolt the nearest edge would technically be the bolt tip at the moment of contact. On the flip side, since lines afaik are supposed to go through you the nearest edges would be to either side if the bolt is instantaneously at it's max area at the end of casting. I would personally rule it as the tip cuz that's cooler

Mr Adventurer
2019-05-01, 01:51 PM
As in the title, how does that interact?

The metamagic feat Explosive Spell states that "An explosive spell ejects any creature caught in its area to the nearest edge of its effect and knocks the creature prone if it fails its saving throw against the spell. ".

So how does that work, if at all, with line-spells? the "nearest edge" is just the next field to the left or right, so any push back and damaging effect etc. can never happen with that area shape, or am i misunderstanding it?

Thanks for your insight!

Yep, typically the creature will just need to shift a little to the left or right.

Necroticplague
2019-05-01, 01:57 PM
The feat itself has an example including a line spell that makes this even clearer.

An explosive spell ejects any creature caught in its area to the nearest edge of its effect and knocks the creature prone if it fails its saving throw against the spell. For example, an explosive fireball moves all creatures in its area who fail their saves at least 20 feet from the center of the effect, while an explosive lightning bolt moves targets 5 feet to either side of the stroke.

lolcat
2019-05-02, 04:50 AM
Thanks for clearing that up! Too bad though, the Kamehameha-visual would have been awesome :D

MisterKaws
2019-05-02, 06:20 AM
Thanks for clearing that up! Too bad though, the Kamehameha-visual would have been awesome :D

You can do that with Warlock's Repelling Blast plus Eldritch Line

Raishoiken
2019-05-02, 10:37 AM
The feat itself has an example including a line spell that makes this even clearer.

Lol this is why i should reread material before posting

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-05-02, 10:43 AM
What happens in a 5' wide hallway with open space at the far end?

Eladrinblade
2019-05-02, 12:03 PM

Exactly what you'd think. Optimal use of the spell.

Necroticplague
2019-05-02, 12:54 PM

Exactly what you'd think. Optimal use of the spell.
Nah. You'd simply be flung sideways, but stopped by the wall, as per this line of text:

If some obstacle intervenes to prevent the blasted creature from moving to the nearest edge of the effect, the creature stops at the obstacle but takes 1d6 points of damage from striking the barrier (in addition to any damage taken from being forcibly moved to the barrier).
I'm assuming a solid wall counts as an obstacle.

tyckspoon
2019-05-02, 12:57 PM

Feat addresses it:

"If some obstacle intervenes to prevent the blasted creature from moving to the nearest edge of the effect, the creature stops at the obstacle but takes 1d6 points of damage from striking the barrier (in addition to any damage taken from being forcibly moved to the barrier)"

They take a d6 from bouncing into the wall. Explosive Spell isn't very good with the standard Line shape (unless you're mainly trying to use it knock targets over); there is no reasonable reading I can come up with where you get to shove somebody the entire length of the line. The nearest edge is always going to be across the width, and if it's not than you're hitting somebody way at the outside reach of the spell's effect anyway.