PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Monk base class

petermcleod117
2019-05-01, 04:47 PM
Does anyone know of a psionic monk base class of some sort? I'm looking particularly for one that advances in both martial arts and psionic powers simultaeneously. A version of the Psychic Warrior that use an unarmed fighting style would also work.

homebrew is fine, though I would prefer a supplement that I could get off of drivethrurpg.

Thurbane
2019-05-01, 04:58 PM
Not a base class as such, but the Tashalatora feat (SoS p.119) allows levels in one psionic class to stack with Monk levels to determine AC bonus, flurry of blows attacks, and unarmed damage.

jdizzlean
2019-05-01, 04:58 PM
theres this:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/psionicFist.htm which is a PRC however..

and i'm AFB atm, but i think there's a psionic monk variant in the expanded psionics handbook

petermcleod117
2019-05-01, 06:10 PM
Not a base class as such, but the Tashalatora feat (SoS p.119) allows levels in one psionic class to stack with Monk levels to determine AC bonus, flurry of blows attacks, and unarmed damage.

Cool. I could probably make a makeshift psionic monk class by using a psion or psychic warrior as the base with a one level dip into monk, using the Tashalatora feat to make up for not advancing further in the class, and then to gain the higher level monk abilities using the Vendhar Adept prestige class from Mindshadows.

Thanks much. :smallsmile:

flappeercraft
2019-05-01, 09:04 PM
Actually, by RAW you don’t even need to take a monk level for Tashalatora

Kaleph
2019-05-02, 12:49 AM
Talking about homebrew, what about converting the "unarmed swordsage" adaptation to a psychic warrior? Seems quite straightforward to me, and perfectly in line with what you're asking for.

If you believe that losing all armor proficiency vs monk's improved unarmed strike isn't a fair deal, adding flurry of blow should fix it.

ApologyFestival
2019-05-02, 08:15 AM
Yup, and this is a big deal! Straight ardent or psychic warrior with Tashalatora is a psionic monk-in-a-can. Of the two, the ardent is the strongest. It has 3/4 BAB on a full 9th-level manifesting chassis, and some truly awesome alternate class features. Whichever you choose, it requires low investment and doesn't really benefit from any multiclassing or prestige classes.

Kaleph
2019-05-02, 08:27 AM

Actually, that's an optimistic interpretation (although not overpowered/broken), as you can probably stack levels in a psionic class onto a virtual 0-level monk, but that's onpy for the purpose of determining the bonus/effects of class features that you actually haven't yet.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-05-02, 09:33 AM
Yup, and this is a big deal! Straight ardent or psychic warrior with Tashalatora is a psionic monk-in-a-can. Of the two, the ardent is the strongest. It has 3/4 BAB on a full 9th-level manifesting chassis, and some truly awesome alternate class features. Whichever you choose, it requires low investment and doesn't really benefit from any multiclassing or prestige classes.It's too bad that ardent mechanics suck. Mantles are awful, except maybe the Magic mantle. The substitute powers ACF (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) largely ameliorates this, since it allows you to avoid being forced to take sucky powers you don't care about, and the dominant ideal ACF (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) is pretty hilariously broken (especially when combined with the substitute powers ACF)

So if you abuse the heck out of both of those things, it takes ardent from being a seriously sucky cleric with worse domains, none of the vast number of turn undead options, and massive restrictions on its spell list, and turns it into something that is at least somewhat palatable.

Segev
2019-05-02, 01:26 PM
Are you stuck with 3.5? Pathfinder has a couple options, including an archetype for the monk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/psionic-options/monk/enlightened-monk/) and an archetype for the soulknife (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife/archetypes/dreamscarred-press/deadly-fist) that are unarmed psionic warriors.

The enlightened monk could mix reasonably well with a couple levels of Psychic Warrior or another manifesting class, given the ability to burn ki as power points.

Maat Mons
2019-05-02, 02:59 PM
Cool. I could probably make a makeshift psionic monk class by using a psion or psychic warrior as the base with a one level dip into monk, using the Tashalatora feat to make up for not advancing further in the class, and then to gain the higher level monk abilities using the Vendhar Adept prestige class from Mindshadows.

Thanks much. :smallsmile:

Which higher-level monk abilities do you feel you need?

(Greater) Flurry of Blows, Unarmed Damage, AC Bonus: You get all of these with Tashalatora.

(Improved) Evasion, Ki Strike: The regular version of evasion, ki strike (magic), and ki strike (adamantine) can all be duplicated with magic items very easily. Improved evasion and ki strike (lawful) don't correspond to any items I can think of, but I feel that you could do without them.

Still Mind, Diamond Soul: Still mind is pretty minor, and spell resistance has some issues.

Purity of Body, Diamond Body, Timeless Body: The usual way I'd get these on a psionic character is with Crystal Master (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625d). And the real selling point of that class is continuous Touch Sight, with the other stuff just being a bonus. Though, for flavor reasons, I'm fond of the combo of Elan (don't die of old age) and an Embedded Jade Gem (don't take ability penalties for aging).

Slow Fall, Wholeness of Body, Quivering Palm, Tongue of the Sun and Moon, Empty Body: You should be able to accomplish the same things with psionic powers.

Prime32
2019-05-02, 04:02 PM
Dragon Magazine #308 adds most of the XPH's psionic feats to OA's list of "martial arts" feats (which a monk can select as bonus feats, but only if they meet the prerequisites).

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-05-02, 05:10 PM
Does anyone know how to get Tashalatora as a monk feat? Wasting a feat on the pointless prereq SUCKS.