PDA

View Full Version : A Quaint Village [IC]

JNAProductions
2019-05-01, 07:00 PM
The day of the harvest festival. A joyous time in Oakenleaf, with everyone coming together. Clarissa prepared fireworks, and plenty of little knick-knacks for the younger members of the village. James Patterson is out telling stories to some of the others, and Logan has the drinks flowing freely for once.

Alicia has just come towards Adriana, and asks "I know you're not usually interested, but do you think we could do something special at the shrine today? I mean, with your ancestry and everything..."

Clarissa has roped Bibalow into helping her entertain the kids (not that Bibalow minds, really) while she readies the fireworks. Harry and Hope are currently arguing over what kind of tricks Bibalow should perform, with Hope hoping for something beautiful and Harry trying to get him to do something exciting.

Skrit is not far from the town, when he sees Michael and Charity approaching. Michael's leaning on Charity to keep a decent speed, and when they get near him, he says "Hey Skrit. I know you don't like the limelight, but I think you'd enjoy the harvest festival. You haven't attended one since you've been here-always busy."

"'Busy', more like," Charity says, chuckling a little. "But really, we think you'd have a great time. Have some nice food, listen to Mayor Meekly make a silly speech, play with the kids..."

Bolegr is being followed by Winnowa, who hasn't said anything yet.

Hypersmith
2019-05-01, 08:07 PM
Not like there's much to it, the harvest festival. It seemed to stay mostly the same from year to year, but that wasn't a bad thing. In his time here, he'd come to appreciate the camaraderie of the event. Or maybe it was the looser drinks. Logan was admittedly one of his favorites among the villagers. He reminded him of his father in many ways, and he was certain he would be quite dependable if the situation called.

With his recent years of growth, Bolegr's aptitude at hunting and patrolling had greatly increased. It would have been grand to come back with a stag over his shoulders, but it seemed a few rabbits to be roasted would have to make the cut. He rolls his neck to loosen the tension as he walks aimlessly around, the carcasses already skinned, cleaned, and stored away to be brought out with the festivities. Hopefully with someone a little more his type around.

Not to disparage Winnowa. She was a fine girl from a fine family, but he couldn't really envision himself sitting about like her family did. Not like he could blame her though. There weren't many young men who were after a woman out. And he couldn't deny he was a fine specimen.

This might be karma...

The thought idly crosses his mind. He had often teased Adam about pursuing her since they were of similar age, before he came out. Oh well, nothing he could do for either of them. She would get the message eventually. Hopefully. He considers glancing over his shoulder, but steels his will. Time to try and lose her in the inn. Picking up the pace slightly, he crashes into the door soon after, ducking slightly to make sure his head doesn't hit the frame.

"Ho! Mr. Xeres, care for a rabbit?"
Without waiting for a reply, he barrels towards the kitchen, nodding and waving to anyone he recognizes within. Hopefully Logan could help him lose her.

JNAProductions
2019-05-01, 08:19 PM
Logan responds gruffly, as is his nature, "Sure. Cook it yourself today-too busy with the drinks."

Tallytrev813
2019-05-02, 12:45 AM
Ah, the harvest festival... an interruption of Bibalow's studies - though not totally unwelcome. There is a level of entertainment value to be had such that it wasn't all - that - hard for Clarissa to convince him to have some fun with the kids of the town. After all - she IS Bibalow’s sister.

While all the grown ups are doing...well...grown up things, Bibalow bides his time performing magic for those interested. All the kids are sure to attend, as they do every year, to see what new tricks Are up his sleeve.

"Now, I want you all to watch closely...especially you, Molly..." he says with a wink as he waves his hands up in the air and a small sprout emerges from the ground and grows up into a flower (Minor Illusion)...a rather large one, and then blossoms opening its petals to transform into a shower of sparks (Prestidigitation). As the kids jump around in excitement and awe Harry still appears unimpressed, until he feels a tap on his shoulder (Mage hand) and turns around to see an image of a ghost up close (Minor Illusion).

”BOO!” (Improved Minor Illusion) The ghost shouts - giving Harry a brief scare. This is followed by the ghost giving Harry a smile "Gotcha!"

Bibalow begins hopping around in Glee over to Molly, "You see, reality is never what it seems - it can be molded...changed into what you desire. So if you want something, always remember its obtainable - no matter what."

Bibalow calls over his pet Owl, Hooter, and prepares for his next trick.

"How are the fireworks coming Clarissa?"

Hypersmith
2019-05-02, 01:54 AM
"I'll just step into the back and take care of that then. I'd appreciate if you could be busy with the drinks back there too."
Bolegr continues to slide out of the main area, into the kitchen, pulling up a stool and plopping his pack down to fish out one of the aforementioned rabbits. He should hopefully find some respite here. He takes a moment to look about for wood to stoke the fire, and to gauge how long till the festivities start. If he cooked all three at once he could show up with something in hand. On the flipside, if Winnowa walked in there was no easy way to walk out without leaving them all to burn.

He could bear with it. Decision made, he stokes the flames to start. Maybe he should have been clearer with the fact he wanted to get away.

JNAProductions
2019-05-02, 08:51 AM
Ah, the harvest festival... an interruption of Bibalow's studies - though not totally unwelcome. There is a level of entertainment value to be had such that it wasn't all - that - hard for Clarissa to convince him to have some fun with the kids of the town. After all - she IS Bibalow’s sister.

While all the grown ups are doing...well...grown up things, Bibalow bides his time performing magic for those interested. All the kids are sure to attend, as they do every year, to see what new tricks Are up his sleeve.

"Now, I want you all to watch closely...especially you, Molly..." he says with a wink as he waves his hands up in the air and a small sprout emerges from the ground and grows up into a flower (Minor Illusion)...a rather large one, and then blossoms opening its petals to transform into a shower of sparks (Prestidigitation). As the kids jump around in excitement and awe Harry still appears unimpressed, until he feels a tap on his shoulder (Mage hand) and turns around to see an image of a ghost up close (Minor Illusion).

”BOO!” (Improved Minor Illusion) The ghost shouts - giving Harry a brief scare. This is followed by the ghost giving Harry a smile "Gotcha!"

Bibalow begins hopping around in Glee over to Molly, "You see, reality is never what it seems - it can be molded...changed into what you desire. So if you want something, always remember its obtainable - no matter what."

Bibalow calls over his pet Owl, Hooter, and prepares for his next trick.

"How are the fireworks coming Clarissa?"

Molly seems less entertained and more curious, but still claps along with the others politely. Harry squeals a little when he gets spooked by the ghost, and the kids chuckle at him a little.

Clarissa looks over, and says "Oh, just fine, just fine. I've got the basic ones done-you know, the regular bim-bam-booms, but I'm trying to get the more intricate shapes ready. How are the kids?"

"I'll just step into the back and take care of that then. I'd appreciate if you could be busy with the drinks back there too."
Bolegr continues to slide out of the main area, into the kitchen, pulling up a stool and plopping his pack down to fish out one of the aforementioned rabbits. He should hopefully find some respite here. He takes a moment to look about for wood to stoke the fire, and to gauge how long till the festivities start. If he cooked all three at once he could show up with something in hand. On the flipside, if Winnowa walked in there was no easy way to walk out without leaving them all to burn.

He could bear with it. Decision made, he stokes the flames to start. Maybe he should have been clearer with the fact he wanted to get away.

Logan just grunts in response, and gets a drink for Patrick.

In the back, Bolegr begins tending to the fire and preparing his rabbits. Winnowa steps back with him, but politely stays out of the way. "Do you, um, need any help?" she asks, a little timidly.

Tallytrev813
2019-05-02, 11:12 AM
Molly seems less entertained and more curious, but still claps along with the others politely. Harry squeals a little when he gets spooked by the ghost, and the kids chuckle at him a little.

Clarissa looks over, and says "Oh, just fine, just fine. I've got the basic ones done-you know, the regular bim-bam-booms, but I'm trying to get the more intricate shapes ready. How are the kids?"

As Clarissa turns to look, Bibalow 10 ft next to her leaning over appearing to have just lit the wick to a box full of fire works. The wick is hissing loudly right next to the box.

Bibalow looks up at Clarissa, and smiles as the box disappears.

"Oh, were having almost TOO much fun..."

Hooter takes off from Bibalows shoulder and begins flying above, circling the festival and relaying whatever he see's telepathically to Bibalow - par for the course as Bibalow typically likes to be very aware of his surroundings just in case he needs to sneak off for any reason.

Bibalow begins to tell a short story, conjuring images and sounds in little snipits as he describes a short story about a Druid and lore of the forest to the south with the overarching theme of "There's always more to learn, no one knows everything."

If, for any reason I'd need a perception check for Hooter (Who has Keen Hearing/sight - adv on perception involving sight or sound) I'll roll it in the spoiler. Mostly, i just want to make sure i know how to roll correctly.

Perception: 1d20+3
Advantage?: 1d20+3

Tallytrev813
2019-05-02, 11:51 AM
Edited for roll

[roll0][roll1]

JNAProductions
2019-05-02, 12:20 PM
Clarissa ignores the wick. She knows Bibalow too well to think he'd ACTUALLY set off a box of fireworks, especially with children coming near.

Roll me a Performance check, Bibalow, to see how well you entertain the munchkins. With advantage-they're easily entertained.

Tallytrev813
2019-05-02, 12:28 PM
Clarissa ignores the wick. She knows Bibalow too well to think he'd ACTUALLY set off a box of fireworks, especially with children coming near.

Roll me a Performance check, Bibalow, to see how well you entertain the munchkins. With advantage-they're easily entertained.

[roll0]
[roll1]

JNAProductions
2019-05-02, 12:31 PM
The children are positively enraptured by the story, with even Molly getting into it.

GM_3826
2019-05-02, 01:34 PM
"...You know that that's a sore spot for me." Adriana scolded Alicia. "But yes, I'd be up for doing something at the shrine. You'll have to wait a little bit, though. I'm busy right now.."

Throughout most of the harvest festival, Adriana had something to attend to. A moment beforehand she was doing her best to keep things tidy-disposing of whatever was lying around and cleaning up after the others. Now she was readying the lottery that was planned for later today. She was quite a workaholic and gave herself little time to rest. Yes, this was supposed to be a time to relax and have fun, but there's no such thing as a free lunch, and Adriana knew that. Someone would have to work in order to ensure that the others could play, and that role suited Adriana perfectly.

Once she finished the lottery, she went quiet. ...Hahaha. I guess I don't really know how to play. She thought.

That said, Adriana knew that she still had one last thing to do. Once Bibalow finished telling his story, Adriana walked up to the children. "Glad to see you kids are having fun."

If Alicia was in the crowd, she would whisper to her. Otherwise, she'd find her and talk to her. "Sorry for taking so long. I can come with you to the shrine now, if you'd like. What did you want me to help you with?"

JNAProductions
2019-05-02, 01:37 PM
Alicia did indeed wander off to join the other kids, and startles a little when Adriana speaks. "Oh! You surprised me. Um, nothing major," she says. "I just thought it might be nice for you to the blessing today, for our village, instead of me. I'm happy to do it, and I guess helping other people is kinda in the family, what with dad's work and all, but it feels more appropriate to have you do it."

"Besides," she says, "I might learn something new from how you do it!"

GM_3826
2019-05-02, 01:58 PM
Alicia did indeed wander off to join the other kids, and startles a little when Adriana speaks. "Oh! You surprised me. Um, nothing major," she says. "I just thought it might be nice for you to the blessing today, for our village, instead of me. I'm happy to do it, and I guess helping other people is kinda in the family, what with dad's work and all, but it feels more appropriate to have you do it."

"Besides," she says, "I might learn something new from how you do it!"

"What a wonderful idea!" Adriana smiles. "When do you want to go and do it, then? I'd love to help you."

JNAProductions
2019-05-02, 02:00 PM
"Now, before the mayor gives her speech. I'd hate to miss that," she says.

Mayor Meekly is known for his speeches-they're not too long, and usually involve ample praise for the others in the village. While most people think he's a little TOO soft on others, it's hard to not appreciate the compliments.

GM_3826
2019-05-02, 02:01 PM
"Fair enough. Come with me, then." Adriana would walk with Alicia over to the shrine.

JNAProductions
2019-05-02, 02:03 PM
Alicia follows, happily, to the middle of the village where the shrine is. Nearby, a small stage is being readied by Mayor Meekly, ready for his speech later, with some help from other members of the village.

GM_3826
2019-05-02, 02:33 PM
Adriana got to work on the ceremony. It was a rather simple one, just an offering of food to Palla in order to ensure a good harvest this year. She took out a dried fruit from a cabinet along with a loaf of bread, an iron pot filled with water, a tinderbox, and a bundle of firewood. Adriana cut the food into slices with a knife while Alicia boiled the pot. As Adriana placed the food into the pot, she turned to face Alicia.

"Why don't you do the prayer this year? I'd love to do it myself, but you did ask for my help. I shouldn't do everything." She smiled.

JNAProductions
2019-05-02, 02:39 PM
Alicia nods.

"Pallas, may you continue to bless us with prosperity and safety. May your welcoming arms guide us through these times, and may your shield protect us from all harm. We will work hard to be worthy of your blessings, and give thanksto the bountiful harvests this year." She pauses a moment. "And may you please give Mayor Meekly some more backbone," she adds with a little laugh, standing up. "I hope Pallas doesn't mind the last bit."

GM_3826
2019-05-02, 02:45 PM
"Palla won't, trust me." Adriana laughs. "You did a good job, Alicia! I'm proud of you."

Hypersmith
2019-05-02, 04:28 PM
"Well. No." He doesn't stop tending to his fare, trying not to make eye contact as he rubs some salt into the meat and readies the skewers, dropping a small blob of fat into the flames to listen to the sizzles and judge their heat. "It's just some cooking. Don't you want to see Clarissa or Bibalow do something?"

JNAProductions
2019-05-02, 08:05 PM
"Palla won't, trust me." Adriana laughs. "You did a good job, Alicia! I'm proud of you."

Alicia positively glows with happiness. "Thanks!" she says, throwing her arms around the older woman in a big hug.

"Well. No." He doesn't stop tending to his fare, trying not to make eye contact as he rubs some salt into the meat and readies the skewers, dropping a small blob of fat into the flames to listen to the sizzles and judge their heat. "It's just some cooking. Don't you want to see Clarissa or Bibalow do something?"

"Um, no," she says. "But you probably want to finish cooking soon. I think Mayor Meekly is going to give his speech soon. I can save a seat for you, if you want..."

If there's any last things you'd like to do before the speech and the TOTALLY UNEXPECTED ORC ATTACK, let me know and do them now.

Tallytrev813
2019-05-03, 12:41 AM
Bibalow begins to round the kids up for the speech, "Alright, lets begin heading over to hear the mayor. You guys know the drill..."

Hooter swoops down, landing on Bibalows shoulder, and the group begins heading over.

As the kids begin to head over, Bibalow steps aside and pulls out a book to begin reading, "Now, i can create the visual image like...this...then the auditory aspect...mmhmm...how do i produce the physicality..." He begins creating small pieces of Jewelry and reaching through them in an attempt to lift them up.

Hypersmith
2019-05-03, 03:28 AM
"You go on ahead, I'll bring the rabbits when they're cooked."

please

With efficient motion, he rotates the rabbits over the flame, standing to make his way out of the kitchen.

"Go on. I'll get a drink meanwhile. Mr. Xeres! I'm parched over here!"

Squeezing his way past her and into the open again, he beelines for the bar, pretenses lost as he reaches for the nearest available brew. He waits until Winnowa is gone before sighing in exasperation. "I'll leave the rabbits here. They should be cooked through by the time we're back. I'm gonna head to listen to the mayor though. Just... didn't want to go with her." He explains himself rather sheepishly to the inkeeper - not that he expects much of a reply.

JNAProductions
2019-05-03, 06:48 PM
Winnowa eventually takes the prodding and heads off.

Logan gets a hearty ale over to Bolegr, saying "She's young. She'll get the message eventually."

Hypersmith
2019-05-04, 03:50 PM
"I hope so." Bolegr drinks in silence after his comment. There would be little silence to be found for the rest of the night anyway.

Once the rabbits are ready, he leaves one in the kitchen for Logan and takes the others with him to hand around if the Mayor gets wordy.

Cinderhulk
2019-05-05, 11:31 AM
Skrit had been only going to town for resupplies on his trap foods. It was true, he rarely attended any of the Village's little scenes or events, less out of a lack of desire to and more of an acceptance that his kind and the "civilized" folk were rarely meant to get along. He didn't have his pelts with him this time, coming only to buy and not deal. Normally the Goblin would be coated in the things, usually still rank from recent hunts. Today he was much more normal looking, by standards. His weapons all dangling from sheathes or straps, his travel sack over his back, and armor almost never removed. His neck carrying many wolf fangs upon a leather string. He otherwise did little to mask what he was, and only kept himself cleaned up enough to not have to hear anyone complain about the smell.

He had grown used to the villagers here, and when they approached him he didn't prepare for the worst anymore. When Michael and Charity pass, and invite him to come join, he paused to collect his words. "May do. Traps need set, but may take time for festival. Good hunt this season, can take a day off. Where you two off to?" Making conversation wasn't his strong suit, but he had to TRY to fit in atleast.

JNAProductions
2019-05-05, 11:48 AM
"The mayor-Mayor Meekly-is about to give a speech," Charity replies. "Why don't you come with us and listen? He might even mention you."

Skrit agrees, and follows the taller folk. They're the last to arrive, with everyone finding a comfy spot to sit while Meekly takes the stage. He clears his throat, and says "Hello, everyone, and a good afternoon on this great harvest festival day! I hope everyone appreciates Logan's generosity with the drinks-I would if my liver wasn't old as dirt," he chuckles a little. "Now, I'd like to take a moment-"

He's suddenly cut off as a massive, menacing figure comes into visibility behind him. The creature-a hulking humanoid standing at least 8' tall, with dark green skin-withdraws his wickedly curved blade from the mayor's gut. Shut up, the creature says.

Roll Initiative, please.

[roll0] for the creature.

Tallytrev813
2019-05-05, 08:20 PM
"The mayor-Mayor Meekly-is about to give a speech," Charity replies. "Why don't you come with us and listen? He might even mention you."

Skrit agrees, and follows the taller folk. They're the last to arrive, with everyone finding a comfy spot to sit while Meekly takes the stage. He clears his throat, and says "Hello, everyone, and a good afternoon on this great harvest festival day! I hope everyone appreciates Logan's generosity with the drinks-I would if my liver wasn't old as dirt," he chuckles a little. "Now, I'd like to take a moment-"

He's suddenly cut off as a massive, menacing figure comes into visibility behind him. The creature-a hulking humanoid standing at least 8' tall, with dark green skin-withdraws his wickedly curved blade from the mayor's gut. Shut up, the creature says.

Roll Initiative, please.

[roll0] for the creature.

Bibalow wastes no time - though there has been little time to react, he feels as though he recognizes the greenish silhouette withdrawing his blade from behind the mayor. And his instincts tell him to act - fast. Bibalow quickly (Free Action) and forcefully tells the children around him, "Get inside the house and hide, NOW."

Bibalow rears his hands back creating a feint purple glow from his forearms down, and thrusts his hands forward projecting 3 magical darts arcing at the intruder, one arcing up, and the others left and right.

[roll0]

As the darts fire at, and rip into the flesh of the enemy, Bibalow quickly hustles over to cover around the corner of a nearby house.

He signals to Hooter, who takes off quickly into the air, surveying the area for additional enemies.

(Perception check incase i need it [roll1]) + 2nd roll was another 7

JNAProductions
2019-05-05, 08:24 PM
The humanoid laughs cruelly, but takes the blows. He grunts in pain, and his eyes dart over to Bibalow, but linger on the children.

The kids begin to scatter, heading for safety, as do a lot of the adults. Michael looks to Charity, saying "Get equipped-I'll help hold him back." Charity looks like she's about to object, but instead simply heads for the Carpenter household, grabbing Harry (who's too frightened to move) along the way.

The area around the stage is mostly clear now, leaving Michael in front of it, Meekly lying and bleeding beneath the creature, and you all in front.

Hooter does not spot anything else out of the ordinary.

Damage Taken: 11

Hypersmith
2019-05-06, 12:15 AM
There's a moment of confusion for Bolegr, in which a scream erupts right as he looks down to bite into a ready leg. His head snaps up, hands dropping to the spear on his back. He winces instinctively at the sight of the mayor falling, but the calm gives way to shock, which is pushed aside quickly by anger. With spear in hand, he leaps up to start his charge towards the foe - an orc, it must be - he grinds to a halt as the purple energy streaks ahead of him. The mayor was still on the ground, bleeding. And Michael was in front of it.

One Orc would go down, but one the one mayor couldn't be replaced. Bolegr steps up to the wounded mayor, and with a muttered word, slate grey dust slacks off his hands and onto the mayor's wound. His foe was not forgotten - Bolegr rises to his full height, and though still short of the green killer, he towers over the townspeople. "Want me to shut up? Come make me."

[roll0]

JNAProductions
2019-05-06, 10:05 AM
Mayor Meekly gasps in pain as Bolegr's magic suffuses his body, but seems alert-alert enough, at least, to not make any stupid moves.