PDA

View Full Version : Monsterkin - Monster/Human Variant

werescythe
2019-05-01, 07:00 PM
So I have this campaign I am working on, where the players are playing humans with monstrous traits, due to a strange world bending event.

The way I am doing it is by using the Human Variant however instead of the player taking a feat, they are able to pick a monster who's characteristics they possess and replace the feat with one of the monsters abilities (using the abilities that have been balanced out in: Monstrous Races (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/230312/Monstrous-Races)). They can't choose undead or construct and they can't take abilities like: Multi-attack, Tremor Sense or Blind Sense.

I am also considering giving them the option to take a second trait from the same monstrous race at the cost of reducing one of their ability scores by 1 (or perhaps 2, still thinking about it).

What are your thoughts on this concept. Any constructive advice is welcome.

Edit: I have also been considering making a quirks table as well.

MagneticKitty
2019-05-01, 08:59 PM
I like it but sad it's applied to only humans. What if I want a Tabaxi with a trait from a tiger. Like a primal tabaxi.

Other than that seems fun. Probably needs an approval process to filter out some crazy things.

In order to prevent:
I'm a tarrasquekin. On all levels but physical, I'm a tarrasque.

werescythe
2019-05-01, 09:55 PM
I like it but sad it's applied to only humans. What if I want a Tabaxi with a trait from a tiger. Like a primal tabaxi.

Other than that seems fun. Probably needs an approval process to filter out some crazy things.

In order to prevent:
I'm a tarrasquekin. On all levels but physical, I'm a tarrasque.

Well, admittedly the campaign idea I have exists in a world where most of the DnD player races aren't around. Ticked off my brother, he wanted to be a dragon born with the vampires mist ability.

Yeah there will definitely need to be some testing. As with the guide I linked they have shown some logic for adjusting the stats of those monsters for player races. I haven't seen what they have done for Tarrasque. Wouldn't surprise me if they made the stats with the advice of no allowing it... Ever.

Edit: I also had it be human because I am having the monster trait replace the feat variant humans get. I think it's balanced that way but if anyone has further insight feel free to let me know.

Wildarm
2019-05-01, 10:32 PM
Have not read all the monsterous races linked but the vast majority of abilities will be balanced compared to a feat. Even stuff like flight or blindsense would not nessesarily be an uneven trade.

i’d say go for it.

werescythe
2019-05-01, 10:51 PM
Have not read all the monsterous races linked but the vast majority of abilities will be balanced compared to a feat. Even stuff like flight or blindsense would not nessesarily be an uneven trade.

i’d say go for it.

What do you think of the idea of allowing the character to suffer a -1 (or -2) to one of there ability scores to add a second monster trait from the same monster they selected for the first trait? Do you think that is okay?

Dr. Cliché
2019-05-02, 04:13 AM
Out of interest, do these humans look physically different (in ways that fit their monstrous traits) or do they still look normal?

Wizard_Lizard
2019-05-02, 04:21 AM
Are these the monster NPC traits in the DMG?

werescythe
2019-05-02, 06:51 AM
Out of interest, do these humans look physically different (in ways that fit their monstrous traits) or do they still look normal?

They certainly could. I was thinking of leaving that up to the players.

Are these the monster NPC traits in the DMG?

Yes and no. As mentioned in the original post there is a Monstrous races book on Dungeon Master's Guild that provides balanced stat versions of the monster NPC traits so players can play as those monstrous races.

MagneticKitty
2019-05-02, 10:09 AM
Sounds like could be like a maximum ride / X-Men like genetic experimentation type story. Sounds cool.

Present day post-apocalyptic?

werescythe
2019-05-02, 10:38 AM
It's kind of Victorian. The sky turned red, the sun, moon and stars can only be seen during the "day," maps of the outside world have grown increasingly unreliable and you should be wary of any lights you see in the pitch black night.

werescythe
2019-05-05, 11:33 AM
So I am thinking of allowing 2 monster traits if the selected monster in the place of the feat. I might restrict it so that players receive the first trait at lvl 1 and the second at lvl 3.

I've also been considering the option of allowing players to choose at lvl 1 an ability from a list of traits: Night vision, Water breathing, Keen smell, etc...

Your thoughts?

Potato_Priest
2019-05-05, 11:48 AM
So I am thinking of allowing 2 monster traits if the selected monster in the place of the feat. I might restrict it so that players receive the first trait at lvl 1 and the second at lvl 3.

I've also been considering the option of allowing players to choose at lvl 1 an ability from a list of traits: Night vision, Water breathing, Keen smell, etc...

Your thoughts?

That sounds like a fun way to do it to me. Keep in mind that if you're doing this for every player, there's no reason you need to balance against the default player races, only against each other.

ShikomeKidoMi
2019-05-05, 10:11 PM
What do you think of the idea of allowing the character to suffer a -1 (or -2) to one of there ability scores to add a second monster trait from the same monster they selected for the first trait? Do you think that is okay?

I think I'd go with -2 if you're balancing them with feats, since that's already the default trade off for a feat, not getting a +2 to an ability score. It's basically -1 feat later when the character levels up.

I assume this is if the character wants to start with an extra monster feature and that's why you're making it a penalty instead of just taking it instead of a feat later.

werescythe
2019-05-05, 10:51 PM
That sounds like a fun way to do it to me. Keep in mind that if you're doing this for every player, there's no reason you need to balance against the default player races, only against each other.

Just in case I decided I wanted to make this into some DMG material (and yes, I know I would have to credit others for any material I use), then that way people don't feel like having a Monsterkin in another campaign would be too broken. (It's also for my sanity as a GM).

There has also been the temptation to perhaps allow characters to use the mutations from this list I found on dandwiki (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/MSRD:Mutations). Where perhaps as the result of sacrificing their human variant feat, they can take a Minor Mutation at lvl 1 and a Major Mutation at either lvl 3 or 4. It would definitely make things a bit easier for me (the Monstrous Race book has actually been a bit confusing when it comes to organizing the traits for my players).

werescythe
2019-05-06, 05:00 PM
On second thought I don't think I'll use the mutations (reading over them, some are really complicated and designed for a different type of campaign), instead I will mention the idea to my players, have them pick the monster (not including undead, constructs or the Tarrasque) with the traits they want and make a subrace out of it.

Asmotherion
2019-05-07, 03:57 PM
So I have this campaign I am working on, where the players are playing humans with monstrous traits, due to a strange world bending event.

The way I am doing it is by using the Human Variant however instead of the player taking a feat, they are able to pick a monster who's characteristics they possess and replace the feat with one of the monsters abilities (using the abilities that have been balanced out in: Monstrous Races (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/230312/Monstrous-Races)). They can't choose undead or construct and they can't take abilities like: Multi-attack, Tremor Sense or Blind Sense.

I am also considering giving them the option to take a second trait from the same monstrous race at the cost of reducing one of their ability scores by 1 (or perhaps 2, still thinking about it).

What are your thoughts on this concept. Any constructive advice is welcome.

Edit: I have also been considering making a quirks table as well.

Seems legit; However you probably want a list of abilities to purchase (and a cost) instead of just improvising; Some traits that i would consider overpowered with simple feat and should cost more include: A Metalic Dragon's Alternate form; A Troll's regeneration; Some creatures innate invisibility etc. Or change the abilities to 1/short rest and give them a durat​ion.