PDA

View Full Version : New character back story concept, help me spitball some ideas

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-05-02, 09:53 AM
Let's throw some ideas at the wall here. I'm working up a new character for a campaign which may start over the summer after I possibly wrap one up.

I want to have a shot at playing a drow. The only one in a campaign I've been in so far the DM waived away the sunlight disadvantage problems. So, I want to give it a shot in another campaign, different DM.

What I'm thinking is a character who was either a human or elf captured by some drow faction and turned drow or was part of some drow faction who were capturing elves and or humans as part of a breeding program to make more drow soldiers. D&D has a mechanic for changing races in the Reincarnate spell and I've used it before on a NPC in a campaign I run so my new PC could be a drow or converted drow. One female who lives 700 years could have a few hundred kids/soldiers in a lifetime! This character saw the removal of NPC agency and freedom and/or the watering down of the drow bloodline and decided to escape while part of one of the raids.

If the DM wants a place to start I could have my freed sad looking young human or elf with me in the process of taking them back to their nearest surviving relatives. A drow with a young human or elf in tow would just seem to be a magnet for a plot line.

I'm leaning warlock. I like versatile casters, the drow background would help with a couple spell slots I think. Correlon would be an interesting Patron.

Arcane trickster gets slots I think to? I played a Bard before and loved the mechanics of it, Bards sneak up on ppl. I'd do another Bard but life is only soo long lol.

What alignment would pick? Something complicated seems more proper if I'm playing a drow. Perhaps a "might makes right, but don't push it too far" outlook would work, whatever alignment that is.

If indecision reigns, I could ask the DM if he prefers my character be an escaped slave, male or female, drow who has seen the light or whatever fits in best with his world.