PDA

View Full Version : Role-playing a follower of The King in Yellow

Shuruke
2019-05-02, 10:13 AM
So I've had a fun idea for a character whose essentially a knight for the great old one The King in Yellow

The problem is I'm having a hard time finding info for how my character would serve their king.

I'd like to have answers for these 3 questions

- enemies the knight would seek out (maybe worshippers of certain deities.)

- Ideals/things The King would stand for that the knight wpuld carry out

-Misc fun things having to do with king in yellow

So far all I've really been able to find was info on the yellow sign and how adorning one is essentially allowance for the King in Yellow
Thus the Knight has multiple tatoos of it on their body

Other things I have are that the Knight goes by the name of Sign. Since in his centuries pf service all aspects of his other life have been forgotten

Thanks for the help!

Kaptin Keen
2019-05-02, 10:30 AM
I think trying to specify - to nail it down - is quite precisely the wrong approach.

Carcosa is a realm of illusion, deceit, madness and despair, where reality is fluid and never constant, where some new secret or mystery is hiding behind every answer you find. Where everyone wears several masks, where no door ever leads to the same place twice, where every plot leads to eventual betrayal. It's a place where reason and rationality breaks down.

And Carcosa is, after all, where the King in Yellow resides.

So I feel a knight of the King in Yellow would be someone who ... hm, double-thinks, in the way of 1984 by George Orwell. Someone who believes firmly and persistently in things he, at the same time, knows to be untrue. Someone able to argue his view eloquently and precisely, convincingly - but beneath the surface veneer of confidence there is only confusion and madness.

And if any of this is ever exposed, he will simply invent some new 'truth' like nothing ever happened. It's .. russian dolls of untruth. Expose one, and there's another underneath.

How to roleplay that? For you own mental health, I might not recommend it.

Shuruke
2019-05-02, 12:11 PM
I think trying to specify - to nail it down - is quite precisely the wrong approach.

Carcosa is a realm of illusion, deceit, madness and despair, where reality is fluid and never constant, where some new secret or mystery is hiding behind every answer you find. Where everyone wears several masks, where no door ever leads to the same place twice, where every plot leads to eventual betrayal. It's a place where reason and rationality breaks down.

And Carcosa is, after all, where the King in Yellow resides.

So I feel a knight of the King in Yellow would be someone who ... hm, double-thinks, in the way of 1984 by George Orwell. Someone who believes firmly and persistently in things he, at the same time, knows to be untrue. Someone able to argue his view eloquently and precisely, convincingly - but beneath the surface veneer of confidence there is only confusion and madness.

And if any of this is ever exposed, he will simply invent some new 'truth' like nothing ever happened. It's .. russian dolls of untruth. Expose one, and there's another underneath.

How to roleplay that? For you own mental health, I might not recommend it.

Hm now I just wanna do it more XD

So fun idea

As a knight they swear to unveil deceit in places where truth resides and then sow greater mystery

Although a serene and confident seeming. They constantly question everything in thoughts and expect for there to always be some kind of twist.

When questioning people he isn't trying to prove them wrong instead make them question their own reasoning.

The knight goes forth bringing others under the rule of his king, causing people to go onto paths that'll end in betrayal, leaving people questioning the reason of others, and distrusting rationality.

Kaptin Keen
2019-05-02, 01:10 PM
Hm now I just wanna do it more XD

Good, good ... I don't imagine it will be easy, but then we're not generally rewarded for travelling the easy roads. Of course, on the hard roads, we're eaten by trolls or dragged off into the trackless forest by wicked elves, to unknowable but terrible fates.

There are a great many pictures of your patron king if you look up Hastur. My personal interpretation wasn't ever quite so tentacular, but it's very mythos, I guess. I've always imagined him ... I dunno, less rational than that. An image of self composed only of screams and wildly staring eyes, perhaps.

Shuruke
2019-05-02, 02:16 PM
I've really enjoyed thought of rather than tentacles give him more of a gibbering mouther look when it comes to extra mouths etc.

I also like idea of hood being drawn where u can't see face

Psyren
2019-05-07, 11:59 AM
You didn't specify a system, but Pathfinder has some stats for him (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/aberrations/great-old-ones/great-old-one-hastur/), including the domains he grants to his cultists and a bit of dogma information that might help you.

The Glyphstone
2019-05-07, 12:21 PM
That dogma section makes him sound like a knockoff of Warhammer's Slaanesh.

Kaptin Keen
2019-05-07, 02:13 PM
That dogma section makes him sound like a knockoff of Warhammer's Slaanesh.

First published in 1895 - so, if there's any relation, it's the other way around.

The Glyphstone
2019-05-08, 12:41 PM
First published in 1895 - so, if there's any relation, it's the other way around.

That's quite plausible actually. It wouldn't be the first thing GW blatantly stole took inspiration from.