PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Monster Tamer

SpicyBoi_Nezu
2019-05-02, 11:08 AM
I just got this amazing idea from one of my friends who his character's wicked diplomacy to convince multiple bandits and enemy mercenaries to fight for his side (We're in the middle of a war). I like the concept of a character who goes around, taming monsters and other animals, gaining large amounts of creatures at his disposal.

I would think that Druid or Ranger would be a good base class, but I just want to know the best way to optimize handle animal/wild empathy to tame the monsters, making them their pet/companion. I'm pretty sure that if he tames an animal, creates a pact with it, releases it into the wild, he can summon that specific monster to him using one of the summoning spells (I figure this because my party at one point used Summon undead to transport things across the country because he made a pact with another undead companion who would hold onto items which would be transported with them, because it doesn't say anything against it in the description).

I understand that charisma is crucial, as well as maintaining the druid levels for wild empathy, but I would like to know if there are any other means to taming/training monsters/animals.

smasher0404
2019-05-02, 11:48 AM
The Beastmaster prestige class (Complete Adventurer) is built around acquiring a bunch of animal companions over 10 levels. Beast Heart Adept (Dungeonscape) does something similar but with more monstrous companions. Beastmaster is especially nice, since your effective Druid level for your first animal companion is Druid Levels + Beastmaster Levels + 3.

Wild Cohort also grants something very similar to an Animal Companion, but has a different progression compared to the Druid's class feature.

Technically, Shamans (Oriental Adventures) still have the 3e version of Animal Companion which allows them to attract up to 2 HD of animal friends.