PDA

View Full Version : Mary Sue PC

HamsterKun
2019-05-02, 12:14 PM
Who was the biggest Mary Sue you’ve seen in a campaign?

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-02, 12:24 PM
Who was the biggest Mary Sue you’ve seen in a campaign?

Eldritch Knight + Abjuration Wizard. Just kinda kill anything he wants, never dies, deals solid damage.

I also have never seen a Moon Druid sweat. Between 2 short rest uses of Wild Shape and full casting of a Druid, it's hard to run them ragged.

Unoriginal
2019-05-02, 12:29 PM
Eldritch Knight + Abjuration Wizard. Just kinda kill anything he wants, never dies, deals solid damage.

I also have never seen a Moon Druid sweat. Between 2 short rest uses of Wild Shape and full casting of a Druid, it's hard to run them ragged.

Being strong/hard to kill doesn't make one a Mary Sue.

Saddly, it's an highly polemic term with many strong disagreements on the definition and on which characters qualify. I'd advise you to reformulate your question, OP.

stoutstien
2019-05-02, 12:32 PM
Being strong/hard to kill doesn't make one a Mary Sue.

Saddly, it's an highly polemic term with many strong disagreements on the definition and on which characters qualify. I'd advise you to reformulate your question, OP.

Agreed. In my eyes Mary Sue is a type of player behavior not any particular style of build

Jamesps
2019-05-02, 12:39 PM
I'm playing a Lawful Stupid character in an all-dwarf campaign right now. In the first sessions I pointed out to the rest of the party that my character had the "rank" background feature, declared us a mercenary company and my character the leader. We now interact with all NPCs basically like a group of lawyer thugs who work everything out with legalistic contracts and deal with all disputes by declaring the disputing party to be unlawful miscreants in violation of dwarven contract law. Because the arguments are so absurd and backed by the entire party I think the DM isn't sure how to deal with it and often goes along with the madness, in effect turning my character into a Mary Sue (by definition, a character that is always morally correct within the morality of the story no matter how absurd their actions might be considered in the real world.)

darknite
2019-05-02, 12:39 PM
In college we had a guy play with us who always had characters who's background would be replete with advantageous connections, access to obscure knowledge, membership in a privileged elite and the like. So at 1st level he was trying to contract an army of hirelings, would argue that there was no way he could be surprised by the DM's plot twist because he would of known x,y,z and other silliness. Now I don't mind having some sort of background advantages as long as it made sense and the DM approved. But the constant arguing that their made-up story trumped the DM's made-up story just got old, fast.

DrKerosene
2019-05-02, 02:34 PM
Someone waited until one hour before game time to present a genasi lore wizard with the ravenloft revenant background. For a regular forgotten realms game.

Then they whined when I wouldn’t allow their basic ritual casting wizard class feature to function identically to the tome warlock who had spent an archtype and invocation getting the ritual casting feature.

Segev
2019-05-02, 02:38 PM
I had a character in a game I ran who was literally named Mary Sue. She was trying to live up to the tropes while being (deliberately, on the player's part) mechanically sub-optimal as a gestalt Wizard/Psion with 13 int and 18 cha and who insisted that LEARNING magic through STUDY was the RIGHT way, and that "sorcery" thing was OBJECTIVELY INCORRECT.

Her mother was fun to play. When she showed up, her appearance "on screen" was announced by my descriptions getting florid and my prose purple, lavishing obsequious amounts of praise on the very aura of her presence, and using the most overblown and barely-coherent thesaurus-abusing synonyms for things as I described them. Complete with fauning from handsome young men who waited on her every whim due to her beauty, kindness, and pure excellence.

The party loved to hate Mrs. Sue, and Mary Sue herself was always embarassed by her.

The Kool
2019-05-02, 02:43 PM
The party loved to hate Mrs. Sue, and Mary Sue herself was always embarassed by her.

Take it in stride. Own it. Love it. Beautifully done.