PDA

View Full Version : Putting Variants Together: The Eldritch Commander Sorcerer

Gralamin
2007-10-03, 05:53 PM
First of, I have permission from Fax:

Go right ahead.

Mixing a few variants, one can create a sorcerer who sacrifices some of his spell power to become an inspiring leader. This is a different role then the default sorcerer, and encourages being less of a blaster, and more of a group commander. Though spellcasting is not on the table, changes to spell casting are mentioned below.

Hit die: d8

Class skills: The Eldritch Commander's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha) Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

{table=head]
Level|
Base Attack[br]Bonus|
Fort Save|
Ref Save|
Will Save|
Special
1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Divine Companion

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|-

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|-

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|-

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Domain Access (Courage)

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5|-

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5|-

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+2|
+6|-

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+3|
+6|-

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+3|
+7|-

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+3|
+7|-

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+8|-

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+8|-

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+4|
+9|-

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+9|-

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|-

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|-

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+11|-

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|-

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12|-[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Eldritch Commanders are proficient with all simple weapons. In addition, At 1st level, a Eldritch Commander gains proficiency with any light or one-handed martial weapon of the character's choice. They are proficient with light Armor.

Divine Companion - as described in Complete Champion

Domain Access (Courage) - As described in Complete Champion, Domain is from Spell Compendium.

Spellcasting

An Eldritch Commander can cast sorcerer spells derived from her class levels of Eldritch Commander while in light armor without the normal arcane spell failure chance.

An Eldritch Commander has fewer daily spell slots than a standard sorcerer. Subtract one spell per day from each spell level on Table: The Sorcerer (to a minimum of zero spells per day). For example, a 1st-level Eldritch Commander may cast four 0-level spells and two 1st-level spells per day (plus bonus spells, if any).

A Eldritch Commander knows fewer spells per spell level than a standard sorcerer. Subtract one spell known from each spell level on Table: Sorcerer Spells Known (to a minimum of one spell per spell level). In addition, due to Domain Access (Courage), a Eldritch Commander again knows one fewer sorcerer spells then normal for his level, from level 5 on. For example, a 4th-level Eldritch Commander knows five 0-level spells, two 1st-level spells, and one 2nd-level spell. When she reaches 5th level, the battle sorcerer does not learn one additional 1st-level spell, and doesn't learn an additional 2nd-level spell (since two minus two is zero).

[hr]
If Anyone knows of other things that work well with it, please inform me.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-03, 06:01 PM
Something to remember: Add that the class is proficient with simple weps, the way you put it, they know how to handle only one wep.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-03, 06:04 PM
Neat. Very neat.

Gralamin
2007-10-03, 06:04 PM
I just copied it from the battle sorcerer. I guess I should mix them.

Edit: Thanks Fax.

jaqueses
2007-10-03, 06:05 PM
Your saves for Fort and Ref look strange. Also how many skill points are their per level? Maybe add some abilities that involve working as part of a team? Is the spellcasting still based off of charisma?

Gralamin
2007-10-03, 06:09 PM
Your saves for Fort and Ref look strange. Also how many skill points are their per level? Maybe add some abilities that involve working as part of a team? Is the spellcasting still based off of charisma?

This is just a bunch of variants whacked together. The only differences are what is mentioned. Though the saves are a mistake, I'll have to check my table generators code for what caused that...

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-03, 06:13 PM
Useful thing to add: maybe add inspire courage once per day, with no dependance on bard music. It seems to me that a commander should give such boosts, if minor, to his subordiantes.

brian c
2007-10-03, 06:20 PM
Useful thing to add: maybe add inspire courage once per day, with no dependance on bard music. It seems to me that a commander should give such boosts, if minor, to his subordiantes.

It's not homebrew, he can't add anything to it; it's just mixing and matching different official "variants". Is there some sort of variant that can get inspire courage?

Gralamin
2007-10-03, 06:25 PM
I do not know of any variant to get inspire courage. As a DM, I usually rule that sorcerer's get wizard bonus feats. If You have a similar rule, and like to take that route, I suggest getting the following (Using this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58667)):

5: Domain Granted Power (Dream)
10: Align Weapon
15: Telepathy
20: Bonus Feat

Fizban
2007-10-03, 06:30 PM
Hmm, I think I'll put one together as well.

On second thought, maybe not. There's not enough class features for the sorcerer to swap, and between Fax's Sorcerer variant combo and this one it's pretty much all been done.