PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pathfinder Monster Advancement and Random Monster Generator

TheOverlord
2019-05-02, 04:07 PM
It has been a while since I've posted, but I always have had an easy time finding monster-related information here, so I thought I would share it. I've been working on monster advancement tools for 10 years now. This has always just been for fun, and to help me run my own games as dungeon master. I recently published a bunch of free tools for Pathfinder to find monsters, advance monsters, search for monsters of a certain type or with certain stats, as well as a fun little DM screen to produce a bunch of random charts, dice, or random monsters. I realized I hadn't really told many folks so here they are. There is still nothing to buy here...they are all 100% free.

https://www.cleverorc.com/
The Pathfinder tools currently have all the creatures from Bestiary 1-4.

I'd welcome any thoughts, feedback, or feature requests.

The links to the old 3.5 advancer as well as a updated version of that are all there as well.
Have fun filling the dungeons with interesting creations!

Palanan
2019-05-02, 05:47 PM
Thanks for sharing this. It looks sleek and professional, and clearly required a lot of work.

The Monster Finder is great, but I’m having trouble with the Monster Search—I don’t seem able to get any returns at all, after searching for Fey, Humanoid and Magical Beast.

I’m also downright perplexed by the Dungeon Graph feature, which gives me a gently bobbing string of dots that puts me in mind of trade routes between nearby stars. Unfortunately I can’t make any sense of how to convert the interstellar-trade-route view into something with actual chambers and whatnot that I could print out and use with minis.

Do I need to sign up to access full functionality? Or is this supposed to be intuitive, and I’m just not intuiting how to use it?

zlefin
2019-05-02, 07:26 PM
This looks neat. Any idea how many people use your tools?

StevenC21
2019-05-03, 03:14 PM
Just so you know, I believe your d&d 3.5 tool is missing Hobgoblin statistics.

TheOverlord
2019-05-03, 07:21 PM
I'll try to address all of your post.

Thanks for sharing this. It looks sleek and professional, and clearly required a lot of work. The Monster Finder is great...

Thanks!

but I’m having trouble with the Monster Search—I don’t seem able to get any returns at all, after searching for Fey, Humanoid and Magical Beast.

I am not seeing the problem on my end (I thought at first I might have overlooked case sensitivity, but I am able to get results for all of those searches with and without other criteria.) If trying it in incognito mode still doesn't work, feel free to shoot me some more information like browser and os in case it is a trickier problem. contact at cleverorc.com will go straight to me.

I’m also downright perplexed by the Dungeon Graph feature

This is quite well-founded. :redcloak: This feature is super alpha (version 0.0.2) and was just a proof of concept for a mind-map style dungeon that is meant to give you a rough idea of a layout or flow of a dungeon without worrying about the details of a specific map. I am still planning on adding to this to populate the rooms and such with randomly generated creatures, but I wanted to get something that randomly created the layout. So, for now it is very abstract. (If a full-fledged random dungeon is more of what you want that is farther down my roadmap. I made a prototype of that about 6 years ago that I would have to resurrect for that to come to fruition.)

Thanks for all the questions and feedback I hope to keep adding to the tool set (Some of the more interesting features like large groups of random monsters by CR are hidden on the DM Screen (https://monsters.cleverorc.com/dmscreen) right now if you haven't checked that page out too!)

TheOverlord
2019-05-03, 07:34 PM
This looks neat. Any idea how many people use your tools?

It probably peaked in 2014 with around 42,000 unique users.
2018 was about 20,000 people.
Total unique users since 2009 is something like 330k

The new tools I haven't really promoted at all so it is in the hundreds. The old site has been in its final state for about 6 years and is focused on D&D 3.5 so it is amazing to me it still is chugging along even with a 50% drop off...that was over a 5 year period.

zlefin
2019-05-04, 09:48 AM
neat, that use rate is high enough that it allows for some kinds of adaptive features to be workable. I'll hvae to look into that to see if I could cook one up.